2012 KCBS Board of Directors Election
Candidate: George Mullins
1. Please describe the skills you possess (which you believe are stronger than the other candidates) which would make you an asset as a board member, in dealing with the challenges facing KCBS, and give an example of how those skills would serve the KCBS Board of Directors and its membership.I own my own business that I started and built myself. In the past 14 years that has covered everything from computer network management, web development and deployment, internet security, and software development for small business to the Department of Defense. In the next 18 months the internet security side will be spun off in conjunction with partners. Included in that that work history is the need to work with employees, clients, and more importantly prospective clients. To be successful I've had to listen, study any given issue, and provide a reasonable solution. I make decisions every day that have an impact on myself and others, and I'm accustomed to making the hard decision.
2. If you are a Cook, Judge, Rep or Backyard Cook, please identify the major KCBS issues concerning, one of areas in which you are involved. Describe the major issue, your strategies to correct or improve the issue, and what you see as the biggest challenge to the success of your plan.I'm fortunate to have cooked in the northeast, the midwest, and as far west as Arizona. It's opened my eyes to how similar yet different things can be, and I'm grateful for the experience and friendships that have come with that opportunity. I think we need to take a serious look at the rules and determine what we can enforce, and what we can't. The process would be simple. We ask the top 3-5 cooks in each category of the TOY standings, with additional members appointed by the board, to serve on a committee and bring forth any proposed rules changes on an annual basis. Beyond that we need to do a better job of making a complete set of the rules available to all. As things stand now, there are numerous Rep Advisories that one has to look for separately. Everything should be available in one package for any member interested, as well as email updates sent to anyone interested in opting in to a system to send them out immediately after board action.
3. Identify your major short term goal and the major long term goal, if elected to the Board of KCBS and your plan to implement change or improvement in order to carry out each of these goals.I'd like to see a greater emphasis placed on committeees composed of members, and have that service be public knowledge. It's one way to begin addressing the desire that membership has for "Regional Representation". I'd like to see regional sanctioning committees to provide recommendations to the board for action, as an example. A committee based in the southeast is probably in a better position to determine team/judge density in a region as well as gauge interest from regional teams, than a member of the board that is 1,000+ miles away. It also is a step In the right direction to answer those that believe that the board Is making decisions based on personal desires or friendships. Involve the members, make their participation known, and some of those issues are addressed.
My long term goal, is based on that short term goal. The board, In my opinion needs to focus more time and resources on planning for the long term growth and health of the organization, including more open and complete communication with membership. A portion of that would also be a greater emphasis on Education which is required by the 501 status that KCBS has attained. If we take the mission statement of KCBS seriously, that is fundamental to the reason the organization exists.
4. If elected please explain "your level of commitment, time and energy" for committee projects and monthly reports, board meetings and attendance, as well as representing KCBS to the public and being responsive to our members.I am fortunate to be in a position where the only person I have to request time off from is my wife! I do have a heavy work schedule, but before making the decision to run I decided that I can give up some of my personal time to serve the membership for a three year term. If elected I WILL have a report monthly regardless of what assignment I'm given. There Is too much potential for growth to have a month go by where nothing is done or accomplished. When required to travel that is not a problem. If I can't drive, I live In DFW which is one of the busiest airports in the world. Most important to me is the final part of the question. Being responsive to members is critical. I've never learned anything about an issue when people agree with me. I want to hear what the membership thinks. I can't promise to agree, but I can promise to listen and give everything the thought that it's due!
5. Please describe your previous participation in KCBS activities and years of experience.I grew up around BBQ living in Texas and having family reunions catered by some well known places in Lockhart, Texas. I started cooking competition BBQ in IBCA with a friend, and took a break when he had triplets and I was building a business. I started cooking again with a friend in the northeast, and that lead to cooking in Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, Tennessee and even having some friends from Kansas City come down here to cook. A year ago I began planning a KCBS contest in Texas, that I've temporarily put on hold until after the election because if elected the business of KCBS will become be a higher priority. To prepare for that, I flew to Kansas City, at my own expense, to volunteer at a contest that has a great reputation among cooks and judges alike. In addition to all of that, I spent years moderating a well known BBQ forum and followed competition BBQ and KCBS daily. In the event that something was 'controversial' I ended up hearing from a lot of different people, with different views on the issue of the day. I think I've got a grasp on what went on in public AND private in several cases and it was very educational. I take a lot of that with a grain of salt, but it has been eye opening.
6. Please explain why you want to be a member of the KCBS Board.I've been critical of the board in the past. Not of individuals but the board in general. It's time to walk the walk for me. I can agree to disagree without becoming disagreeable. I think there is a need for new ideas, and fresh energy to lead KCBS to where it can continue to grow and benefit all members in the process. I'm the guy from Texas that doesn't have an axe to grind, or an agenda beyond what's best for KCBS and the membership. I have several ideas that I'm still developing that I believe would benefit cooks, judges, reps, and organizers. Please take a look at www.changeKCBS.COM and www.facebook.com/georgekcbs for more information as well as the opportunity to offer feedback and your contributions. As I've said, I never learned anything from someone that agreed with me and that I'm always willing to listen. I'm not asking for your vote. I just want the opportunity to EARN it.