2012 KCBS Board of Directors Election
Candidate: Dennis Polson
1. Please describe the skills you possess (which you believe are stronger than the other candidates) which would make you an asset as a board member, in dealing with the challenges facing KCBS, and give an example of how those skills would serve the KCBS Board of Directors and its membership.I would bring to the BOD my experience of working on other boards both in business and service organizations. As a teacher and a member of the local school board, I have been a negotiator and fact finder. As a BOD member it is essential to listen to all sides and make decisions for the betterment of all. To me, this means, how will the decision affect, in years to come, Organizers, Cooks, Judges, and Reps. I feel we must set short and long term goals to keep KCBS strong and growing. I am a hard worker in any job I take on be it Organizer, Rep, or volunteer at the "Jack". I believe those who know me would say I am consistent, fair, and friendly.
2. If you are a Cook, Judge, Rep or Backyard Cook, please identify the major KCBS issues concerning, one of areas in which you are involved. Describe the major issue, your strategies to correct or improve the issue, and what you see as the biggest challenge to the success of your plan.In an ideal world, every judge should cook and every cook should judge or organize or Rep. In this way, all sides of the coin can be seen. But we know this is not a perfect world. As a Rep, it is very frustrating to have uneven scores, either high or low, especially from a CBJ. The scoring system is a good and fair one if used the way it is intended. I would like to see our judging classes emphasize the positive and focus less on the negative. The BOD is now working on a continuing education program for judges. I hope this is a start in correcting the scoring discrepancies. I would also like to see more members be offered an active role on KCBS committees.
3. Identify your major short term goal and the major long term goal, if elected to the Board of KCBS and your plan to implement change or improvement in order to carry out each of these goals.I think the BOD is moving in the right direction. My short term goals are to have open communications with membership and for the BOD to function as one unit. Let committees do their assigned jobs. Let the office employees do their jobs. Get all the facts before making a decision or another rule.
My long term goals are to develop a strategic 5 and 10 year plans. This will give us a direction that KCBS should be headed. These plans need to be reviewed each year and changed as needed to meet changing times. The committee for strategic planning needs to have members from Organizers, Cooks, Judges, and Reps. Each entity has different needs and should be represented to voice their concerns, and provide input about where they want their KCBS Organization to be in the future.
4. If elected please explain "your level of commitment, time and energy" for committee projects and monthly reports, board meetings and attendance, as well as representing KCBS to the public and being responsive to our members.As a retired person, I am committed to devote whatever time and energy is necessary to complete my responsibilities to the BOD and to the membership. I will attend each board meeting in person or by phone, work on any committee assigned and submit timely monthly reports.
I have 41 years of experience in public speaking and teaching. I can resolve issues by seeing problems from every point of view (in this case Organizers, Cooks, Judges, and Reps). I will not have all the answers, but a BOD that works together with input from the membership should be able to attain solutions.
5. Please describe your previous participation in KCBS activities and years of experience.Linda and I started as Organizers in 2005. That same year we took our CBJ training and judged 13 contests. In 2006, we judged, cooked, and Rep in training (RAT) 31 contests. We received our Masters Judge certification in 2006 and Table Captain Certification in 2009. I became a Table Captain Instructor in 2011. We Rep 10-15 contests per year and also try to judge some contests every year. We are lifetime members of KCBS. We have helped Organizers start 7 new contests.
6. Please explain why you want to be a member of the KCBS Board.If elected to the KCBS BOD, I will do my best to be a voice for all entities, Organizers, Cooks, Judges, and Reps. As a BOD member we must have open communication with our membership. This is the members' organization to which we are held accountable. I will be only one voice and one vote, but I want it to be for the best of all and the growth of KCBS.