2012 KCBS Board of Directors Election
Candidate: DennyMike Sherman
1. Please describe the skills you possess (which you believe are stronger than the other candidates) which would make you an asset as a board member, in dealing with the challenges facing KCBS, and give an example of how those skills would serve the KCBS Board of Directors and its membership.I believe that I have the experience to serve on the KCBS BOD owing to my previous service in the late 80's as a director on the board of the Greater Portland Regional Chambers of Commerce which served the Greater Portland, ME metropolitan area of approx. 125,000 residents. I know what it takes to work together as a board and that it requires a strong commitment, creative ideas and input, a strong desire to get things accomplished, and a willingness to compromise, when necessary, for the greater good of the community. In addition to my previous board experience, I have been in the restaurant and real estate business for the past 30 years and since 2000 I have had a seasonal BBQ restaurant in my hometown of Old Orchard Beach, ME where I developed my line of sauces and rubs. The restaurant was a real estate rehab project for me and when I finished the work, as was my plan, I sold the building and committed myself, and my future, to selling my sauces and rubs. Fortunately, we have developed a strong following for the line and we are selling throughout the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast regions and have recently opened up distribution in the Pacific Northwest and the Southwest. We are also experiencing some growth internationally, being distributed in Scandinavia and western Canada.
2. If you are a Cook, Judge, Rep or Backyard Cook, please identify the major KCBS issues concerning, one of areas in which you are involved. Describe the major issue, your strategies to correct or improve the issue, and what you see as the biggest challenge to the success of your plan.I am a CBJ and have judged a half dozen contests to date; I plan on attaining my Master qualification as soon as my schedule permits. Still being somewhat new, however, I am not fully cognizant of any particular problems with the way things are going presently so I really don't have too much to offer right now. If I had to bring up anything in particular, it would probably be finding a solution to having our contests judged with only CBJs. I'd be very willing to hold judging classes as a way to ensure that we have an adequate number of CBJs to reach out to when events get scheduled, and I think it's only being fair to the teams to make sure that they are judged by certified people.
3. Identify your major short term goal and the major long term goal, if elected to the Board of KCBS and your plan to implement change or improvement in order to carry out each of these goals.My major short and long term goals as a director are wide open at this point; I am certainly aware of what's going on with KCBS and the direction its moving and I think I like what I see. My goal overall would be to bring more corporate sponsors on board as well as continuing our efforts to expand our membership. I'm also curious about investigating if there may be some value in teaming up with the National BBQ Association as I am of the opinion that we might be able to find that we have everything in common and that there's got to be ways in which we can mutually benefit.
4. If elected please explain "your level of commitment, time and energy" for committee projects and monthly reports, board meetings and attendance, as well as representing KCBS to the public and being responsive to our members.If elected I promise to serve faithfully, putting in as much time as necessary and I will offer my services to any committees that might require my expertise. I'm not saying I'll be able to serve on every one, but I will certainly be willing to commit to those I can effectively contribute to. Additionally, I will be reaching out for prospective new members by including applications for membership in all of the on-line orders we receive as well as various teasers like the BBQ and KCBS stickers. Additionally I am going to provide a 10% discount on my products to any new and existing members of KCBS. I am available 24/7 basically and will certainly be responsive to the members who need my help if I can provide it.
5. Please describe your previous participation in KCBS activities and years of experience.My previous participation in the KCBS is as a member since 2000 or so, and I have organized and been involved in state champion contests here in Maine for the past five years including three this year alone. I plan to stay involved in all manner of promoting, organizing and sponsoring as many contests as I can and will certainly be available to assist anyone out of my immediate area should they need help organizing an event.
6. Please explain why you want to be a member of the KCBS Board.I think the best reason I can give for wanting to be on the board is that it will allow meto be more directly involved with something I'm rabidly passionate about, as I'm sure most all of us are as well, and that's barbecue! It not only gives me more of an opportunity to learn about the culture and business of barbecue, it also allows me the opportunity to contribute and share what I may be able to with like-minded individuals who are as enthusiastic about good 'cue as I've come to be. It's definitely infectious, no?