2012 KCBS Board of Directors Election
Candidate: Kim Collier
1. Please describe the skills you possess (which you believe are stronger than the other candidates) which would make you an asset as a board member, in dealing with the challenges facing KCBS, and give an example of how those skills would serve the KCBS Board of Directors and its membership.I have been a competition cook for over 20 years. I am on the Blue Springs Blaze Off barbecue contest committee for over 15 years. I have been Chairperson for both the Blue Springs Blaze Off and the American Royal. I am a certified KCBS Judge and a KCBS Representative. I have volunteered on both the Representative Committee and Finance Committee for KCBS. I have a complete understanding as to what it takes and what might be needed to have a successful event. From the cooks' point of view, the judges' point of view, the KCBS reps point of few and as a contest organizer. I can bring this knowledge to the board.
2. If you are a Cook, Judge, Rep or Backyard Cook, please identify the major KCBS issues concerning, one of areas in which you are involved. Describe the major issue, your strategies to correct or improve the issue, and what you see as the biggest challenge to the success of your plan.As a KCBS member one of the concerns I have is what appears to be a division in priorities between the board members. The Board needs to remember that they are to represent all of what KCBS stands for. The board needs to be more of a unit and stand together to represent the whole barbecue community. I also have concerns about the regional representation is being proposed as a roughly 50/50 split between members at large and regional. With this proposed split a relatively low vote count could get someone elected in from a low turnout region. The idea is to vote for the best person who will represent the barbecue community the best, whether they are all from Missouri, Texas, New York or Alabama. It should not matter where they are from they need to remember that they are to represent the WHOLE barbecue community. If I am elected I would do my best to work with other board members, listen to the entire presentation to gain a solid understanding of an topic before I make a decision. My goal is to bring the board back to one unit working together to make the KCBS barbecue community better than ever.
3. Identify your major short term goal and the major long term goal, if elected to the Board of KCBS and your plan to implement change or improvement in order to carry out each of these goals.My major goal is to see the board work as a whole unit, not split like it seems to be now. It is not about what might be good for one region, contest, or style, but what good for the whole barbecue community. I would like to see the 50 mile rule re-implemented into KCBS rule. It is not fair to contest organizers to have to fight for teams, especially if a contest had been a long standing contest, then the following year they have five other contest in nearby towns on their weekend date. They go from having 60 to 70 teams to fewer than 50. I also believe that certified judges and table captains should have to go through a refresher course from time to time and I believe they should have to cook with a team whether or not they want to become a master judge. I believe the KCBS web site is not utilized enough. I feel this would be a great place to get updated rule changes and clarifications on rules. Can be used to improve communication between the KCBS and It members, by having a Q&A forum. Have a judge's forum where judges and cooks can have Q&A.
4. If elected please explain "your level of commitment, time and energy" for committee projects and monthly reports, board meetings and attendance, as well as representing KCBS to the public and being responsive to our members.I will commit whatever time is needed to be a board member in order to make the whole of the barbecue community better. KCBS is the leader in educating people in the culinary technique of the low and slow. I will do my best to represent KCBS with honor and respect to all.
5. Please describe your previous participation in KCBS activities and years of experience.I am a competition cook and have been for over 20 years
I have been on the Blue Springs Barbecue Blaze Off committee for over 15 years, I have served as chairperson for 4 years and I am currently the treasurer and judge coordinator.
I have served as a chairperson for the American Royal barbecue for 2 years.
I am a KCBS certified judge
I am a KCBS representative
I have been on the KCBS representative committee
I am currently on the KCBS finance committee
6. Please explain why you want to be a member of the KCBS Board.As a KCBS board member I would like to improve the communication between the KCBS board and it members. To help bringing the board together as a unit, in order to make things better for the whole barbecue community. Get back to the true mission of what KCBS stands for and that is to celebrate, teach, preserve and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form.