2012 KCBS Board of Directors Election
Candidate: Gene Goycochea
1. Please describe the skills you possess (which you believe are stronger than the other candidates) which would make you an asset as a board member, in dealing with the challenges facing KCBS, and give an example of how those skills would serve the KCBS Board of Directors and its membership.I have many years' experience in and around BBQ, I also have a Business background that several candidates do not possess, I was a successful business owner prior to retirement, managed several businesses, have a common sense approach that I believe is of benefit, I have had to make payroll, pay bills, manage labor, make the hard decisions that life in a small business throws at you and still have a paycheck and growth at the end of the day.
2. If you are a Cook, Judge, Rep or Backyard Cook, please identify the major KCBS issues concerning, one of areas in which you are involved. Describe the major issue, your strategies to correct or improve the issue, and what you see as the biggest challenge to the success of your plan.I have a vast experience in all aspects of BBQ, I was a cook team for 17 years, did well in competition, I was an organizer, have organized approx. 28 contests over the years, I have been a Contest Rep and a KCBS Judging Instructor since 1999 have Judged and Repped many contest all over the Country. I feel that my experience offers me the knowledge to find and fix problems that I have seen occur in the past. I feel that we need to repair or judging program to bring older judges and newer judges to the same party, I brought up several times over the past 3 years that we needed a refresher course for judges, it is now coming to fruition.
3. Identify your major short term goal and the major long term goal, if elected to the Board of KCBS and your plan to implement change or improvement in order to carry out each of these goals.I would say that my main goal is to assist In membership growth, membership satisfaction and being able to continue to say that KCBS offers that best and most comprehensive sanctioning system in the World, we need to continue raising the bar, having more well run sanctioned contests for our Teams and Judges alike.
4. If elected please explain "your level of commitment, time and energy" for committee projects and monthly reports, board meetings and attendance, as well as representing KCBS to the public and being responsive to our members.I am retired and willing to spend the time needed to get the job done. I am a get it done type of person. I have missed 2 meetings in 3 years, both KCBS travel related, in the air on way to contests, I have had 1 no report; there was honestly nothing to report for that month.
5. Please describe your previous participation in KCBS activities and years of experience.I as stated earlier have been involved as a cook, judge, organizer, rep and a judging instructor for KCBS, additionally I was the State rep for California, Arizona and Nevada when that program existed, my responsibility on the Board of Directors the past 3 years was membership, what I accomplished was bringing membership numbers from beginning of 2009 9709 KCBS members to end of 2010 14,229 members, a 60% increase, I also started the lifetime membership program, additionally added some membership benefits such as a rental car company discount, Restaurant depot access and a membership rewards program for membership discounts when you bring in a new member, we are now implementing a new program to honor KCBS members for the achievement of competing In 20+ contests with an award.
6. Please explain why you want to be a member of the KCBS Board.I feel that I still have some great Ideas and the desire to get things done; I am a hand's on person and would love to continue working on rules, training and problem solving.