2012 KCBS Board of Directors Election
Candidate: Steve Grinstead
1. Please describe the skills you possess (which you believe are stronger than the other candidates) which would make you an asset as a board member, in dealing with the challenges facing KCBS, and give an example of how those skills would serve the KCBS Board of Directors and its membership.Working with KCBS for 15 years; as a judge (15 years); member of an organizing committee (9 years) and a Rep (5 years) has given me the opportunity to understand the duties and responsibilities of the KCBS Board of Directors from a variety of perspectives.
For over 16 years I have worked, in a progressive career, with the same employer; through each opportunity ensuring compliance with accounting principles, legal matters and governmental regulations such as Sarbanes-Oxley. The opportunities presented at this large global business concern has enabled me to develop my organizational, leadership and time management skills to ensure that tight deadlines are met, accurate records are maintained. I possess superior Microsoft technical competency, as well as, proficiency on a variety of ERP packages and other web based applications.
Although I know of the other candidates, I do not know their skill sets well enough to compare them with mine. I am confident that my experience and knowledge both in and out of the barbeque society brings a well-rounded approach to the Board of Directors responsibilities.
2. If you are a Cook, Judge, Rep or Backyard Cook, please identify the major KCBS issues concerning, one of areas in which you are involved. Describe the major issue, your strategies to correct or improve the issue, and what you see as the biggest challenge to the success of your plan.A major issue that affects our competitors, organizers and judges is in managing and sustaining growth given the current economic climate. Given the opportunity, I would employ a strategy of collaboration with our sponsors to leverage discounts and reward programs for our members, offsetting the ever increasing costs. Establishing a Sponsorship Committee to assist contest organizers and sponsors in promoting competition barbeque, especially in geographic areas with very few contests.
3. Identify your major short term goal and the major long term goal, if elected to the Board of KCBS and your plan to implement change or improvement in order to carry out each of these goals.In the short term I'd like KCBS to become more environmentally friendly by working with national and regional recyclers to reclaim the water bottles and Styrofoam containers our contests generate.
When elected I'd take action to get the regional representation that that was voted on in last year's election put into fruition by July 1st, 2012.
I would like to continue to work with the Technology committee in expanding the functionality of the current KCBS office computer programs to include more efficient communication for team of the year, and contest management My long term goal for the society would be to get the board of directors in more of a strategic long-term focus and let the office staff handle the day to day operations. As an example contests in good standing to be automatically renewed given specific criteria and reducing the sanctioning committee to concentrate on conflicting contests on same weekends, too many contests in a given geographic area, etc.
Many of organizations and societies in which I'm a member have local or regional meetings; I'd like to incorporate this concept and use it a means for planning the growth of KCBS.
4. If elected please explain "your level of commitment, time and energy" for committee projects and monthly reports, board meetings and attendance, as well as representing KCBS to the public and being responsive to our members.The level of commitment, time and energy spent on KCBS events will increase when elected to the Board. The majority of my four weeks of vacation is spent on attending KCBS events. There is no plan to change this in 2012. Additionally, I have the ability and technology to work remotely.
5. Please describe your previous participation in KCBS activities and years of experience.I've been a judge for fifteen years. Served on the organizing committee for the Ohio Smoked Meat & BBQ Festival for nearly 9 years, and as a rep for over 5 years.
I've traveled the country for BBQ from Florida to MA; from TN to Nevada in one year to obtain my Master CBJ. As a Contest Rep, I've worked contests as small as 8 teams to the American Royal with nearly 500 teams.
6. Please explain why you want to be a member of the KCBS Board.I've been asked by current and previous Board Members, judges, cooks and contest reps to run for board of directors. I feel I have the time and energy to help KCBS by becoming a Board member.