The Kingsford® $40K Challenge
2012 Official Rules
KCBS COMPETITION REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS CONTEST. PRIOR OWNERSHIP AND/OR PURCHASE (EXCEPT FOR RESIDENTS OF/PARTICIPANTS IN CO AND VT) AND USE OF A KINGSFORD® CHARCOAL BRIQUET PRODUCT IS REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS CONTEST. NO ADDITIONAL PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. ELIGIBILITY RESTRICTIONS APPLY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
- Eligibility. The Kingsford® $40K Challenge (the "Contest") is open only to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are of legal age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence (and at least 18) and registered participants ("Competitor") in at least one (1) of the Kansas City Barbeque Society ("KCBS") sanctioned barbeque competition events (as outlined below in these Official Rules and collectively, "KCBS Events") at the time of entry (each such person, together with members of their respective competition team, shall collectively hereafter be an "Entrant"). Entrants must also use at least 20lbs of Kingsford Charcoal product in their fuel source in any qualifying Event competition. Participation in the Contest is subject to the KCBS Events barbeque competition rules and winner judging process(es) (collectively, the "KCBS Competition Rules") as defined by KCBS Events for each of the fifteen (15) KCBS events encompassed by this Contest (each an "Event"), and otherwise meet the criteria specified in these Official Rules. Specific start and end times for each Regional Event will be as published by KCBS Events.
- Sponsor and its Agents: This Contest is sponsored by The Kingsford Products Company ("Sponsor") with onsite administration by Sponsor and certain agents of KCBS and/or MMA Creative, Inc., (collectively, "Sponsor and its Agents"). This Contest is void where prohibited, restricted or taxed by law. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply.
- Agreement to these Official Rules: Entrants accept and agree to abide by the terms of these Official Rules, KCBS Competition Rules, which are incorporated herein by reference and the decisions of Sponsor and/or its Agents. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
- Timing: The Contest starts at 12:00 a.m. Eastern Time ("ET") on March 30, 2012, with the first Event listed on the Event Schedule and ends at 11:59 p.m. ET on October 21, 2012, with the last Event on the Event Schedule (the "Contest Period"). Online pre-registration for the Contest opens March 1, 2012, and closes October 19, 2012 (the "Online Registration Period").
- Entry. ONLINE REGISTRATION: To enter this Contest anytime during the Online Registration Period, visit www.kcbs.us/kingsfordpoints (the "Site") and register as a KCBS Competitor. Then, locate the link to the Kingsford $40K Challenge and follow the instruction prompts to submit your name (and those of your respective team members, if any), date of birth, email address, telephone number, and a brief team bio (including hometown, favorite recipe, grilling tips, and photo) via the online registration form, plus any additional information as directed. Entrants who pre-register online during the Online Registration period will receive an email confirmation with their team member names and a verification number (the "Registration Confirmation"). For purposes of this Contest, the person having completed the online registration on behalf of his or her team members, if any, will be the designated Entrant and team contact person (the "Team Contact") and responsible for complying with these Official Rules. No other methods of registration will be accepted. Completed online registrations must be sent electronically during the Online Registration Period and received by 11:59:59 p.m. ET on October 19, 2012, according to Sponsor's internal time clock. Proof of submission of an online registration is not proof of delivery or receipt of such registration by Sponsor and/or its Agents. Use of a false email account will disqualify a registration. Registrations generated by script, macro or other automated means or by any means that subvert the entry process are void. Because space and time are limited, Sponsor cannot guarantee that all persons attempting to register online will be able to participate. Registration will be accepted on a first come, first served basis.
In the event of a dispute as to any registration, Entry or the identity of an Entrant, the authorized account holder of the email address used at time of online registration for the Contest will be deemed to be the Entrant (on behalf of his/her competition team members, if any) and he/she must be comply with these Official Rules. The "authorized account holder" is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address. The Entrant may be required to show proof of being the authorized account holder.
ONSITE CHECK-IN; ENTRY CONFIRMATION & REQ. TO USE KINGSFORD CHARCOAL: To complete and confirm an entry in this Contest, the Team Contact must arrive onsite on the day of each Event for which he/she registers, check in during the event's "cook's meeting" and present Sponsor and/or its Agents with the printed online registration Confirmation, a valid, state-issued picture ID, the name of one or more food/cooking categories competing in and certify their use of at least 20lbs of Kingsford Charcoal briquets* to fuel the day's cooking (the "Check-in Information"). Once the Sponsor and/or its Agents verify (i) the Entrant is an eligible KCBS Competitor named in the registration Confirmation, and (ii) receipt of other requested Check-in Information, the Entrant will be provided a "Cooking with Kingsford® Charcoal" placard and an official acknowledgement of Contest Entry (collectively, the "Entry" or "Entries"). No other methods of check-in or entry will be accepted.
*If an Entrant is a resident of, or a participant in Events occurring in, the states of CO or VT, 20lbs of Kingsford Charcoal product will be provided to him/her by Sponsor. State residency must be evidenced by a state-issued picture ID.
LIMITS ON ENTRY: Entrants may enter one (1) or more Events, however only one (1) entry will be accepted per Entrant, per Event. Entrants are required to register online only once during the Online Registration Period and a single online registration entitles Entrants to enter either or all Events. Regardless of the number of Events entered, all Entrants must confirm entry by presenting themselves for check-in at each Event's "cook's meeting." Completed Entries must be received onsite by the Sponsor and/or its Agents on the day of the particular Event.
Released Parties (as defined below) are not responsible for technical, hardware or software malfunctions, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed, incorrect, inaccurate, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible, garbled, lost, illegible, altered, defaced, mutilated, misdirected, intercepted, ineligible lost, late, stolen, damaged or delayed Entries, registrations, or other communications or other technical problems related to website operation(s), or other errors or difficulties of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic, computer, network, typographical, printing or otherwise relating to or in connection with the Contest, including, without limitation, errors or difficulties which may occur in connection with the registration for, or the administration of, the Contest, the processing or judging of Entries, the tabulation of points, the announcement of the prizes, or in any Contest-related materials. Sponsor and its Agents, in their sole discretion, reserve the right to disqualify any person who tampers with the Entry or registration process, or the operation of the Site, or who otherwise violates these Official Rules and void all associated points.
- Regional Event Schedule:
Titled Occurring In: On Dates: Food Categories USA BBQ Championship Las Vegas, NV 3/30-3/31 Ch / PP / PR / Br Rock'n Ribs BBQ Festival Springfield, MO 4/20-4/21 Ch / PP / PR / Br Stagecoach BBQ Championships Indio, CA 4/27 - 4/29 Ch / PP / PR / Br Bixby BBQ'n Blues Festival Bixby, OK 5/4-5/5 Ch / PP / PR / Br Memphis in May** Memphis, TN 5/17-5/19 PP / PR Papa Joes's Banjo B Que Evans, GA 5/25-5/26 Ch / PP / PR / Br Lincolton Hog Happnin' Lincolnton, NC 6/1-6/2 Ch / PP / PR / Br Central MD Swinetastic BBQ Festival Frederick, MD 6/15-6/16 Ch / PP / PR / Br Safeway National Capital Barbecue Battle Washington, DC 6/23 - 6/24 Ch / PP / PR / Br Up In Smoke BBQ Bash Mason City, IA 7/27-7/28 Ch / PP / PR / Br Colorado Pork and Hops Challenge Grand Junction, CO 9/7-9/8 Ch / PP / PR / Br Decatur Jaycees 18th Annual Riverfest Decatur, AL 9/14-9/15 Ch / PP / PR / Br Praise the Lard Murphysboro, IL 9/20 - 9/22 Ch / PP / PR / Br The 33rd Annual American Royal World Series of Barbecue® Kansas City, MO 9/30-10/1 Ch / PP / PR / Br Sam's Club National BBQ Championship Bentonville, AR 10/13-10/14 Ch / PP / PR / Br Jack Daniel's World Championship Lynchburg, TN 10/21 Ch / PP / PR / Br
**With the exception of 'Memphis in May' which is a Pork-only Event, all competition food categories (Chicken, Pulled Pork, Pork Rib and Brisket) are eligible for point scoring.
- Contest Format: At the conclusion of each Event, KCBS Event organizers will determine Grand Champion, Reserve Grand Champion and all category (Chicken, Pulled Pork, Pork Ribs and Brisket) Event winners ("Competition Winners") based on KCBS Competition Rules. All KCBS Competition Winners will be selected under the auspices of the KCBS Events, whose decisions are final and binding in all matters relating to KCBS Events. For purposes of this Contest, once KCBS Competition Winners have been determined, this Contest Sponsor will announce winners and distribute prize money.
To be eligible to receive additional prize money, Entrants must have used Kingsford Charcoal briquet product in their fuel source during competition cooking as determined by Sponsor and/or its Agents, in its/their sole discretion. Entrants need to compete with Kingsford in at least (2) food categories to be eligible for a Kingsford Event Cash Prize (except for Memphis in May where only the Pork category(ies) are required for eligibility) . Entrants may add flavor and savory enhancers (i.e. wood chips, chunks) and use alternate fuel sources to comprise their remaining fuel materials, however use of liquid gasoline as a fuel accelerant is expressly prohibited.
If an Entrant is disqualified from Event participation at any level, any time and for any reason by KCBS officials, the Entrant will likewise be automatically disqualified from further participation in this Contest. Further, Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any Entrant from participation in this Contest at any level, any time and for any reason.
By entering, each Entrant acknowledges that Sponsor's administration of this Contest, and awarding of all prizes, is wholly dependent upon KCBS Event officials' independent and timely administration of all KCBS activities, including determination of Grand Champion, Reserve Grand Champion and all Category (Chicken, Pulled Pork, Pork Ribs and Brisket) Winners for each Event. By entering, each Entrant further acknowledges that, apart from its reliance on KCBS officials to identify winners at each of the Regional Events for purposes of Sponsor's apportioning of points to Entrants and ultimate selection of winners in this Contest, Sponsor has no control in the outcomes, or responsibility for cancellations of KCBS Events. In the event of a cancellation of an Event by KCBS, that particular Event, and all corresponding Entries and potential prizes, are voided for purposes of this Contest.
All Entrants must follow Sponsor and/or its Agents' directions. All decisions and rulings of Sponsor and/or its Agents are final.
- Prizes; Winner Selection: Sixteen (16) Kingsford Event Grand Champion Cash Prizes, Sixteen (16) Kingsford Event Reserve Grand Champion Cash Prizes and Sixty-three (63) Kingsford Event Category Champions (Chicken, Pulled Pork, Pork Ribs and Brisket) Cash Prizes are available to be awarded in this Contest as follows and subject to verification of Entrants' compliance with these Official Rules and cumulative point totals. PURCHASE AND USE OF A KINGSFORD CHARCOAL BRIQUET PRODUCT DURING COMPETITION IS REQUIRED TO COMPETE FOR THESE PRIZES (EXCEPT FOR RESIDENTS & PARTICIPANTS OF/IN VT AND CO).
Sixteen (16) Event Grand Champion Cash Prizes: At the conclusion of each Event, Grand Champion Winners (each winner and team member combination, collectively an "Event Champion") who competed in at least two (2) food categories (pork categories only if Memphis Regional Event), and who used the required amount of Kingsford Charcoal briquet product in their fuel source during competition cooking, will each receive one (1) check in the amount of one thousand dollars ($1,000 USD). Total value of all Event Grand Champion Cash Prizes: $16,000 USD. In the event Sponsor is unable to verify Event Grand Champion's use of the required amount of Kingsford Charcoal during competition, then no Event Grand Champion Cash Prize shall be awarded.
Sixteen (16) Event Reserve Grand Champion Cash Prizes: At the conclusion of each Event, Reserve Grand Champion Winners (each winner and team member combination, collectively an "Reserve Event Champion") who competed in at least two (2) food categories (pork categories only if Memphis Regional Event), and who used the required amount of Kingsford Charcoal briquet product in their fuel source during competition cooking, will each receive one (1) check in the amount of five-hundred dollars ($500 USD). Total value of all Event Reserve Grand Champion Cash Prizes: $8,000 USD. In the event Sponsor is unable to verify Event Reserve Grand Champion's use of the required amount of Kingsford Charcoal during competition, then no Event Reserve Grand Champion Cash Prize shall be awarded.
Sixty-two (62) Event Category (Chicken, Pulled Pork, Pork Ribs and Brisket) Champion Cash Prizes: At the conclusion of each Event, four Event Category Champions (each winner and team member combination, collectively an "Event Category Champion") who competed in at least two (2) food categories (pork categories only if Memphis Regional Event), and who used the required amount of Kingsford Charcoal briquet product in their fuel source during competition cooking, will each receive one (1) check in the amount of three-hundred dollars ($300 USD). Total value of all Event Category Champions Cash Prizes: $18,600 USD. In the event Sponsor is unable to verify an Event Category Champion's use of the required amount of Kingsford Charcoal during competition, then no Event Category Champion's Cash Prize shall be awarded.
Whether a Champioin is represented by a single individual, or a team of persons, only one prize will be awarded and delivered to the winning Team Contact and it will be his or her sole responsibility to distribute prizes equitably among any team members.
Aggregate value of all prizes: $42,600 USD. Prizes are non-transferable. No substitution of prize is permitted, except Sponsor reserves the right to provide a substitute prize of approximately equal or greater value. Only the advertised number of prizes will be awarded. All applicable federal, state and local taxes are the sole responsibility of the individual winners/teams. Winners/teams assume all liability for use of the prize. All Entrants will receive an IRS form 1099 at onsite check in. A copy of such form will be filed with the IRS for any Entrants that win $600 or more. Sponsor reserves the right to not award all prizes if, it its sole discretion, it does not receive a sufficient number of eligible and qualified Entrants.
- Winner Notification: Potential winners' Team Contact will be notified onsite following the conclusion of the day's Regional Event activities, or by a message or phone call using the contact information provided at entry and may be required to sign and return a W-9 form and Affidavit of Eligibility and, except where prohibited, Liability/Publicity Release, in the form provided by Sponsor, within seven (7) days of winning in order to claim prize(s) or prize may be forfeited. Potential winners' Team Contact may also be asked to complete and return simple biographical information (including hometown, favorite recipe, grilling tips, and photo) within seven (7) days of winning. If a Team Contact cannot be contacted within a reasonable time period, is contacted and does not respond as directed, refuses the prize within seven (7) days of attempted notification, is ineligible to accept the prize or is not in compliance with these Official Rules, prize may be forfeited. If a prize is forfeited, Sponsor reserves the right to award it to a runner-up. Team Contact(s) may be required to provide a U.S. shipping address to claim prize. Allow 4-6 weeks for delivery of prize.
- Right to Use Participant Name and Likeness: By entering this Contest, each Entrant agrees to the posting and use of his or her name, hometown, favorite recipe, grilling tips, and/or photograph on Sponsor's and/or its Agents' websites, including Sponsor's Kingsford page on Facebook, its Agents' pages on Facebook, Grilling.com, and in any and all media in and in connection with promotion, publicity and advertising for The Kingsford Products Company, Kingsford Charcoal briquet products, this Contest, or other promotions by Sponsor in any manner and without any further attribution, notification or compensation, except where prohibited by law.
Sponsor and/or its Agents may film, record and/or take photographs during any Regional Event, and may use the resulting footage, recordings or photographs for a range of purposes, including, without limitation, for marketing and promoting Sponsor and/or its Agents' products and services. By attending the Regional Event, each Entrant authorizes Sponsor and its Agents to film, record and/or photograph his or her voice and likeness ("Image"), and also grants Sponsor and its Agents the irrevocable right to use any footage, recordings or photographs of him or her recorded or taken during any Regional Event, or any reproduction or modification thereof (collectively, the "Recordings") in any manner and medium throughout the world an unlimited number of times in perpetuity for advertising, trade, promotion, exhibition or any other lawful purpose except where prohibited by law. By attending the Regional Event, except where prohibited by law, each Entrant further waives any right of inspection or approval of the uses to which Sponsor may put the Recordings, and releases Sponsor and its Agents from any and all claims arising out of or in connection with the Recordings, the Entrant's Image or Sponsor's and/or its Agents' use thereof. The Contest is governed by the laws of the United States, and all claims must be resolved in the United States.
- General Conditions; LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: SPONSOR AND ITS AGENTS, FACEBOOK AND THEIR RESPECTIVE PARENTS, AFFILIATES, SUBSIDARIES AND ADVERTISING AND PROMOTION AGENCIES AND ALL OF THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, AGENTS AND EMPLOYEES (COLLECTIVELY, "RELEASED PARTIES") ARE NOT IN ANY WAY RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR DAMAGES, LOSS OR INJURY RESULTING FROM PARTICIPATION IN THIS CONTEST BY ANY PARTICIPANT OR FROM THE ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, SHIPPING AND HANDLING, LOSS, USE OR MISUSE OF ANY PRIZE AWARDED IN THIS CONTEST, OR FOR THE TRAVEL TO OR FROM ANY REGIONAL EVENT, OR OTHERWISE IN CONNECTION WITH ANY CONTEST-RELATED ACTIVITY. BY ENTERING, PARTICIPANT ASSUMES SOLE LIABILITY FOR INJURIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, PERSONAL INJURIES AND/OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY, CAUSED OR CLAIMED TO BE CAUSED BY PARTICIPATING IN THIS CONTEST OR THE ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, SHIPPING AND HANDLING, LOSS, USE OR MISUSE OF ANY PRIZE AWARDED IN THIS CONTEST, OR FOR THE TRAVEL TO OR FROM ANY REGIONAL EVENT, OR OTHERWISE IN CONNECTION WITH ANY CONTEST-RELATED ACTIVITY. SPONSOR HAS THE RIGHT TO CANCEL, TERMINATE OR MODIFY THIS CONTEST IF IT CANNOT BE COMPLETED AS PLANNED DUE TO COMPUTER VIRUS, BUGS, TAMPERING, UNAUTHORIZED INTERVENTION, TECHNICAL FAILURES, OR OTHER CONDITIONS. RELEASED PARTIES ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY FAILURE TO CONTACT ENTRANTS, WHETHER DUE TO TECHNICAL OR HUMAN ERROR.
- Rules and List of Winners: For a copy of the rules, or a list of winners within thirty (30) days of the conclusion of the Contest, please send your request by mail with a stamped, self-addressed return envelope to: Attn: Kingsford Points Chase, The Kingsford Products Company, 1221 Broadway #1705C, Oakland, CA 94612
- Sponsor. This Contest is sponsored by The Kingsford Products Company, 1221 Broadway, Oakland, California 94612.
© 2012 The Kingsford Products Company. All Rights Reserved. All trademarks are the property of their respective owners. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.
The Kingsford® $40K Challenge
2012 abbreviated, mandatory disclosures for advertising:
KCBS REGISTRATION, PURCHASE (Excl. residents & participants in CO & VT) AND USE OF KINGSFORD® CHARCOAL IS REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE. NO ADDN'L PURCH. NEC. Enter select KCBS Events during 3/01/12 – 10/21/12. Open to U.S and D.C residents, 18+. To Enter, view Event schedule and Official Rules visit: http://www.kcbs.us/kingsford40k.php. Void where prohibited. Sponsored by The Kingsford Products Company, 1221 Broadway, Oakland, CA 94612.