KCBS Board of Directors Agenda 2-11-11February 9, 2011
AGENDA FOR THE
MEETING OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
KANSAS CITY BARBEQUE SOCIETY
FEBRUARY 11, 2011
KANSAS CITY, MO
Merl Whitebook, Secretary
Public Address (if any)
Recitation of Board Pledge and Mission Statement
Election of Officers
1. Nominations will be open to the time of election. Nominations should be sent to the Secretary by email or from the floor at the February Board meeting. You may self nominate yourself.
2. Those in office and eligible to retain officer seat may so affirm. Officers have a three year term limit.
3. Nominees will have 3 minutes each to speak to the board in support of their candidacy.
4. Board members will be allowed a short Q & A session. Candidates will allowed a reasonable time to respond to questions.
5. Election will be conducted by paper ballot. (if a member cannot attend in person, then he/she mail email or call in a vote to Carolyn, during the election.)
Executive Director will preside until a President is elected.
Minutes Merl Whitebook
Approval of the attached Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Directors, of January 14, 2011.
Accounting and Financial Committee Mike Budai
The finance committee recommends adopting the attached financial statements for January 2011 and the 2010 BBQ Tour financial report.
Conflict of Interest Review Merl Whitebook
Review of the mandatory 990 compliance by approving conflict of interest statements.
The following members of the Board have timely submitted their conflict of interest statements for approval by the Board of Directors:
Strategic Planning Tana Shupe
January's Strategic Funds report will be focus of strategic planning on Saturday, February 12.
Membership Committee Gene Goycochea
Discussion on membership retention.
Philanthropy Committee Tana Shupe
I propose that the Board appropriate $15,000 in 2011 for potential grants to non-profit philanthropic organizations, and that an article be placed in the March issue of The Bullsheet stating the criteria and required documentation for an organization to receive such.
I propose that the President form a Grants-in-Aid Committee to review applications from students of KCBS members in good standing and to bring their recommendations to the Board for approval of such grants-in-aid.
Rules Committee Candy Weaver
Review of a proposed survey on rules. Survey attached.
Marketing Committee Candy Weaver and Tana Shupe
- Beginning 2011 Tour branding and creative production; finalizing logistics plans for the 2011 schedule
- Working with partners to establish printing and shipping schedules
- Will be making decisions on the Tour truck this month
Sam’s Club BBQ Series:
- Working with Sam’s Club and the board to finalize the 2011 rules and regulations
- Sam’s Club BBQ Series web component currently in production
- Total January sales: $3,583
- 25th Anniversary T-shirt now available for online purchase
- Advertising sold for January: $1,267
- Uploaded February Bullsheet
- Uploaded MP3 of January’s BOD meeting
- Completed Rep critique form coding
- Created photo gallery to view credit card contest entries; announced winners on website
- Designed merchandise graphic to replace GABT image on home page; linked to KCBS Gear site
- Updated the Team Bios page to be more user-friendly
- Created the Banquet News page with photo sharing capability
- Uploaded the Marketing Boot Camp PowerPoint for event organizers
- Added the 25th Anniversary logo to the home page
- Uploaded MP3 of Rep Meeting
- Updated and continue to manage the Links page
- Updated TOY for 2011
- Social Media: Using MMA, KCBS, and GABT Facebook and Twitter pages to promote KCBS-related events/promotion
- Sent KCBS 25th Anniversary T-shirt e-blast
- Announced 2011 partners and programs at the 25th Anniversary Banquet
- Working with partners on 2011 program logistics; will release as possible
- Kingsford has selected the 25 events; we are currently working on 2011 rules
- Complete recap of Banquet weekend on website
- Gathering feedback from Trade Show exhibitors to ensure sponsor satisfaction and for future planning
- Need to discuss the Event Director process for Sam’s BBQ Series
- Need to discuss contest organizers’ request of eblasting teams/judges (using an opt-in process on the web)
- Will need approval soon on EZ Grill and Big Red eblasts
2010 - 25th Banquet and Annual Meeting Committee Paul Kirk No Report
Education Committee Paul Kirk No Report
Contests Past The Board reviews past contests.
Tom's Farm Wild West BBQ Wildomar, CA
Lakeland Pig Festival Lakeland, FL
Sanctioning Committee Wayne Lohman
New Contest Requests
1. Contest Name: Smokin’ at the Ballpark
Date Requested: 06/24-06/25 Location: Old Orchard Beach, ME
2. Contest Name: Covered Bridge ‘Que
Date Requested: 06/03-06/04 Location: Euharlee, GA
3. Contest Name: R’Kansas City State Championship BBQ
Date Requested: 04/29-04/30 Location: Arkansas City, KS
4. Contest Name: Smoke on the Square BBQ Competition
Date Requested: 06/24-06/25 Location: Franklin, TN
5. Contest Name: Wine Country Big Q
Date Requested: 09/09-09/10 Location: Santa Rosa, CA
6. Contest Name: Great Mall Olathe BBQ Contest
Date Requested: 06/03-06/04 Location: Olathe, KS
7. Contest Name: Pelahatchie BBQ Festival
Date Requested: 04/01-04/02 Location: Pelahatchie, MS
8. Contest Name: Grillin’ For Our Girls
Date Requested: 06/04-06/05 Location: Willowbrook, Il
9. Contest Name: Cass County “Cookin’ at the Fair”
Date Requested: 08/12-8/13 Location: Weeping Water, NE
10. Contest Name: Brews, Views & Bar-B-Ques
Date Requested: 06/24-06/26 Location: Sisters, OR
11. Contest Name: Bands & BBQ at the Point
Date Requested: 09/09-09/10 Location: Carrollton, KY
12. Contest Name: TBD
Date Requested: 06/10-06/11 Location: Heber City, UT
13. Contest Name: 1st Annual Bluemont BBQ Bash
Date Requested: 07/30-07/31 Location: Bluemont, VA
14. Contest Name: Smokin’ in the Bogs
Date Requested: 09/02-09/03 Location: Warrens, WI
15. Contest Name: Smokin’ on the Lake
Date Requested: 05/20-05/21 Location: Monroe City, MO
16. Contest Name: Tennessee Funfest
Date Requested: 06/17-06/18 Location: Memphis, TN
17. Contest Name: Battle of the Brandon BBQ Challenge
Date Requested: 05/13-05/14 Location: Brandon, MS
18. Contest Name: Orleans Casino USA BBQ Championship
Date Requested: 05/21-05/22 Location: Las Vegas, NE
19. Contest Name: National BBQ Championship Series
Date Requested: 07/23-07/24 Location: Buffalo, NY
20. Contest Name: National BBQ Championship Series
Date Requested: 05/27-5/28 Location: Amarillo, TX
21. Contest Name: National BBQ Championship Series
Date Requested: 07/30-7/31 Location: Albany, NY
22. Contest Name: United Way BBQ Cook-off Fest
Date Requested: 10/14-10/15 Location: Springfield, TN
23. Contest Name: TBD
Date Requested: 10/7-10/8 Location: Lawrenceville, GA
24. Contest Name: Prairie Band Casino Open Barbecue Contest
Date Requested: 06/17-06/18 Location: Mayetta, KS
25. Contest Name: 33rd Annual YCCA Home & Garden BBQ Cook-Off
Date Requested: 05/13-05/14 Location: Prescott, AZ
26. Contest Name: Holbrook Ace in the Hole
Date Requested: 07/08-07/09 Location: Holbrook, AZ
1. Contest Name: Pig Bowl
Date Requested: 05/06-05/07 Location: Columbus, GA
2. Contest Name: Tonganoxie Days BBQ Blowout
Date Requested: 06/10-06/11 Location: Tonganoxie, KS
3. Contest Name: Bikes, Blues & BBQ
Date Requested: 09/30-10/01 Location: Fayetteville, AR
4. Contest Name: RiverFest: Red, White & Que Nebraska State BBQ Championship
Date Requested: 07/15-07/16 Location: Bellevue, NE
5. Contest Name: Wheels ‘n’ Squeals BBQ Challenge
Date Requested: 08/05-08/06 Location: Olathe, KS
6. Contest Name: Cape Cod BBQ Championship
Date Requested: 06/10-06/11 Location: Sandwich, MA
7. Contest Name: Platte City BBQ Cook-Off
Date Requested: 05/06-05/07 Location: Platte City, MO
8. Contest Name: Winchester Business Association BBQ Cook-Off
Date Requested: 06/10-06/11 Location: San Jose, CA
Hernando, MS Traverse City, MI Hernando, MS
9. Contest Name: 7th Annual Wildblue BBQ
Date Requested: 07/15-07/16 Location: Burlington, KS
10. Contest Name: Jasper Strassenfest Barbeque Contest
Date Requested: 08/05-08/06 Location: Jasper, IN
11. Contest Name: Colorado Barbecue Challenge
Date Requested: 06/17-06/18 Location: Frisco, CO
12. Contest Name: When Pigs Fly BBQ Contest & Fly In
Date Requested: 08/26-08/27 Location: McPherson, KS
13. Contest Name: Smokin ‘n’ the Ville
Date Requested: 09/16-09/17 Location: Edwardsville, KS
14. Contest Name: The Med City BBQ
Date Requested: 08/12-08/13 Location: Rochester, MN
15. Contest Name: Herman BBQ and Brats Festival
Date Requested: 09/23-09/24 Location: Hermann, MO
16. Contest Name: The Great Pacific BBQ
Date Requested: 08/12-08/13 Location: Pacific, MO
17. Contest Name: Oinktoberfest
Date Requested: 09/23-09/24-09/25 Location: Clarence, NY
18. Contest Name: Blue Ridge BBQ and Music Festival
Date Requested: 06/10-06/11 Location: Tryon, NC
19. Contest Name: Crossroads BBQ Cook-off
Date Requested: 07/01-07/02 Location: Cameron, MO
20. Contest Name: Up in Smoke BBQ Bash
Date Requested: 07/22-07/23 Location: Mason City, IA
21. Contest Name: Super City Blues & Ques
Date Requested: 10/07-10/8 Location: Metropolis, IL
22. Contest Name: Smokin’ Q Classic BBQ
Date Requested: 08/06-08/07 Location: Vista, CA
23. Contest Name: Flint Hills Beef Fest BBQ
Date Requested: 08/19-08/20 Location: Emporia, KS
24. Contest Name: Smokin Brew BBQ
Date Requested: 09/02-09/04 Location: Parker, CO
25. Contest Name: Autumn Blaze BBQ Smokeoff
Date Requested: 10/14-10/15 Location: Garnett, KS
26. Contest Name: Squealin’ on the Square
Date Requested: 09/30-10/1 Location: Laurens, SC
27. Contest Name: Recovery Fest
Date Requested: 09/16-09/17 Location: Glen Allen, VA
28. Contest Name: 7th Annual U.P. Hog Wild
Date Requested: 07/15-07/16 Location: Kingsford, MI
29. Contest Name: Bates County BBQ State Championship
Date Requested: 10/28-10/29 Location: Butler, MD
30. Contest Name: BBQ & Blues in the Park
Date Requested: 07/29-07/30 Location: Mount Holly, NJ
31. Contest Name: Cherokee Pignic
Date Requested: 10/14 -10/15 Location: Canton, GA
32. Contest Name: Great American BBQ
Date Requested: 05/20-05/21 Location: Overland Park, KS
33. Contest Name: SMSU Smokefest
Date Requested: 08/19-08/20 Location: Marshall, MN
34. Contest Name: Blues, BBQ & Bargains
Date Requested: 07/15-07/16 Location: Hays, KS
35. Contest Name: Lake Oconee BBQ Classic
Date Requested: 09/23-09/24 Location: Greensboro, GA
36. Contest Name: Anthony Downs BBQ
Date Requested: 07/15-07/16 Location: Anthony, KS
37. Contest Name: East Central State BBQ Cook-off
Date Requested: 08/26-08/27 Location: Paola, KS
38. Contest Name: Battle of the BBQ-Brethren-ribs for Kids
Date Requested: 08/06-08/07 Location: Holtsville, NY
39. Contest Name: Central Illinois Bragging Rights
Date Requested: 10/07-10/08 Location: Arthur, IL
40. Contest Name: Barbeque in the Bluffs
Date Requested: 05/14-05/15 Location: Council Bluffs, IA
1. Contest Name: Mayfest BBQ
Date Requested: 05/13-05/14 Location: Murfreesboro, TN
2. Contest Name: Clarksberg/Thornbury National BBQ Championship
Date Requested: 07/08-07/09 Current Date: 07/15-07/17
Location: Blue Mountains, Ontario, Canada
New Ideas Committee Merl Whitebook
I make the following motion:
As a result of the continued questioning of the Contest Rep Status by about 10% of the Contest Reps concerning their status as an independent contractor, and
It is time to end the conflict and get on with the business of KCBS, and
It is recommended by legal that it may be in our best interest to obtain an IRS ruling,
That KCBS will have legal prepare a request for a revenue ruling from the IRS as to our Contest Representative program, to determine their status or changes necessary, and to end the concerns.
Regional Board Representation
The New Ideas Committee has spent 3 months in (2009) gathering opinions concerning the issue of the make up of the Board of Directors and representation of membership.
As a result of this effort I move that the following change to the by-laws be put on the ballot during the 2012 general election to modify and amend the By Laws of Kansas City Barbeque Society.
The make up of the Board of Directors be as follows:
6 members at large to serve 3 years terms with a two term limits.
6 regional members to serve 3 years terms with two term limits.
Regions would be as follows:
KC/MO Kansas and Missouri
Southern Region Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida and Tennessee.
Mid-Western Region Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa.
Eastern Region South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont and New York.
Western Region Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Utah. South Dakota, North Dakota
Ohio Valley and Northern Region Pennsylvania, Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota,.
It is proposed that the regions would be phased in over a three year period.
CBJ Committee Ed Roith
The power point is complete and is being circulated to CBJ instructors.
Technology Committee Don Harwell
- Created MP3 of January board meeting for posting on our web site.
- Created MP3 of Annual Reps meeting for posting on our web site.
- Both were posted.
- Meetings continue on design issues with contest program
- After review of the number of members calling in monthly to listen to the Board meeting and as a MP3 is made available a day after each Board meeting, I motion that we discontinue the policy of having members calling in to listen to the board meeting. This motion would not affect members requesting to call in to speak to the Board. With having the MP3 available, I believe we can continue to have the BOD meeting open to our membership.
- The election went very well this year. The following are the results for the minutes:
Results for KCBS 2011 Board of Directors Election
Total ballots returned = 2591
Total number of eligible voters = 14060
Percent of ballot return = 18.43%
Ballots submitted by voters = 2590
Ballots submitted by client = 1
I would support the change in KCBS that would require some Board Members to be elected by regions
Yes - I support this statement receives 1935 votes, 74.68% of the total.
No - I do not support this statement receives 453 votes, 17.48% of the total.
Make no selection. receives 203 votes, 7.83% of the total.
Should related persons be allowed to serve on the KCBS Board of Directors at the same time
No receives 1685 votes, 65.03% of the total.
Yes receives 726 votes, 28.02% of the total.
Make no selection. receives 180 votes, 6.95% of the total.
KCBS Board of Directors - To read about a candidate click on their name
Randy Bigler receives 1007 votes, 38.87% of the total.
Mark Simmons receives 989 votes, 38.17% of the total.
Mike Budai receives 916 votes, 35.35% of the total.
Tana Shupe receives 910 votes, 35.12% of the total.
Arlie Bragg receives 811 votes, 31.30% of the total.
Thom Emery receives 644 votes, 24.86% of the total.
Ford Alison receives 625 votes, 24.12% of the total.
Sonny Ashford receives 588 votes, 22.69% of the total.
Jim Stancil receives 518 votes, 19.99% of the total.
Dale Newstrom receives 513 votes, 19.80% of the total.
John Kirby receives 402 votes, 15.52% of the total.
Scott Kuklin receives 288 votes, 11.12% of the total.
The Special Contract Committee has met several times both internal and with MMA. Proposed contract is will be email later today. I motion that the MMA contract be approved.
Special Committee to review Board Member’s actions:
It is the belief of the Special Committee that a board member shall not be censured for her actions that took place with and around a Contest in 2010.
This committee would ask the board that these issues and committee be closed.
- I motion that an Ad Hoc Committee be formed to plan and report to the Board how the January straw poll vote of the members requiring some Board Members to be elected by regions can be achieved. 74.68% of the voting members support this requirement
- As to have an open policy with membership, I motion that all closed sections must have an agenda read before a closed section of the BOD is to take place and that no matter may be discussed in closed section which is not on the agenda.
- I motion that the Carolyn Wells KCBS Ambassador Award be an annual award and that the attached criteria for this award be accepted as of December 2010.
- I motion that that in honor of our 25th anniversary, we the KCBS board, honor 26 members of KCBS. These members of KCBS that we recognize are all charter members and have maintained their membership in KCBS to this day. Because of their willingness to become a member of KCBS at the beginning and their continued dedication to KCBS for the past 25 years, each of these charter members will receive a lifetime membership to KCBS:
Carolyn Wells, Paul Kirk, Ed Roith, Donna McClure, Guy Simpson, Alan Uhl,
Donald Pugh, Mark Schroeger, Verl Boes, Ted McClure, Ardie Davis, Bob Schaffer, Roger L. Wagner, Rich Tuttle, Bunny Tuttle, Eugene Aldridge, Smoky Hale, Stephen Yates, Mark Koechner, Tom Blackburn, Gary Buck, Charles L. Jones, Dee Miller, Edward Wilson, Alton Coffelt, and Patty Aldridge.
- I motion that a Rep Advisory be created to state that the American term "Pork Collar" is indeed a part of the shoulder, and that it be accepted as a meat in the Pork category as long as it is 5 pounds or greater.
Finance Committee Mike Budai
Motion for the BOD to approve cash awards for the 2011 season TOY.
6-10 400 2000
11-20 200 2000
6-10 300 1500
11-20 200 2000
TOTAL: 8000 X 4 = 32,000
GRAND TOTAL: $51,750
Contest Rep Committee Carol Whitebook No Report
2012 Banquet Report Gene Goycochea and Wayne Lohman
Discussion concerning the request by RMBBQA to host the 2012 banquet in Denver, Colorado.
Tabled from July, 2010: Mike Lake – Discussion of response to Cease and Desist letter for infringement of KCBS proprietary property. Discussion of license options with NEBS. Carolyn advised that the she did not believe our Legal Representatives had sent the appropriate letters cease and desist letters. The matters was tabled until February, 2011 for a conference all with legal over intellectual property issues.
Tabled from October, 2010: Gene Goycochea – Motion to purchase new truck. A Committee is to be formed and appointed by Mike Lake to research the cost and projections of purchasing a replacement truck for the KCBS Great American BBQ Tour. Report by committee to be presented to the Board at the February 2011 meeting with consideration of motion.
Tabled from January, 2011: Candy Weaver Motion to modify Team of the Year in order that, a team shall be identified in the records of KCBS by name and head cook KCBS member number(s). Should a registered head cook not be present at a contest, that contest will not count towards team of the year points for that team. In the case of teams with multiple head cooks, those membership numbers will be associated with that particular team name and the above will not apply. Tabled to February 2011.
Tabled from January 2011: Report from committee concerning the appeal of action by Board by a Contest Rep. Tabled to February 2011. No report or action requested.
Candy Weaver – discussion of Sam's BBQ Series for the Event Director process, ToY points determination, State Championship designation.
Don Harwell – Motion - Because of the way we have elections and new BOD members come on each February, I would like to motion that out budget year run from our April BOD meeting to the next years April BOS meeting, and that the Financial Committee create the yearly budget which will be voted from approval in March BOD meeting and if needed tabled no later than April.