BOD MEETING MINUTES - July 13, 2011July 16, 2011
KANSAS CITY BARBEQUE SOCIETY
Board of Directors
MEETING- July 13, 2011
The meeting was called to order @ 7:07 p.m. central time by President Candy Weaver. The following members were present in person or on the phone: Candy Weaver, Don Harwell, Tana Shupe, Mike Budai, Mike Lake, Randy Bigler, Merl Whitebook, Wayne Lohman, Paul Kirk, Gene Goycochea, and Arlie Bragg. Mark Simmons joined the meeting at 8:37 p.m.
Members Present: Mike McCloud + others, names not provided
One member made a request to Speak: Roy Murray
Members of the Board recited the KCBS Mission and the Board Pledge.
MINUTES of the BOD Meeting on June 8, 2011): Tana Shupe - Asked that the minutes be approved as presented with the following change in the Rules Committee Report : It was determined that an electrical blow dryer is considered a secondary heat source, and may not be used at KCBS-sanctioned contests. Seconded by Wayne Lohma, the minutes were approved by a unanimous vote.
MARKETING REPORT: Tana Shupe / Mike McCloud
- Completed the first 9 events; official recap to go out this month
- Ongoing assistance for the Tour Team in product shipments, logistics and on-site media promotion
- Generated additional publicity through radio remotes in four markets
Sam’s Club BBQ Series:
- Continued coordination of PR efforts for the Inaugural Sam’s Club National BBQ Tour
- Sending regional e-blasts to competitors
- Continued promotion of activities via all social media assets
- Recruited local volunteers to ensure event success
- Assisting Sam’s with logistics for its supporting sponsors (ie, American Grillmaster experience, Cargill, etc…)
- Total June sales: $2,893
- Advertising sold for June: $2,696
- Uploaded July Bullsheet
- Uploaded MP3 of June’s BOD meeting
- Updated team scores on Events pages
- Updated Forms section of website as needed by KCBS
- Uploaded MP3s of the CBJ and Table Captain instructions to Downloads section
- Updated website with all sponsor programs winners/information
- Created 2011 Annual Member Survey graphics; added to website
- Investigating and experimenting with a mobile application of the web site/certain databases
- First six month recap of web stats:
Unique Visits to the site: 371,214 (15% increase YoY)
Number of Pageviews: 2,424,727 (8% increase YoY)
Average pages per visit: 6.53
Average time on site: 5:35 minutes
- Social Media: Using MMA, KCBS, and GABT Facebook and Twitter pages to promote KCBS-related events/promotion
- GABT: 95 new Twitter followers / 25,501 Facebook post views
- 37,044 Facebook post views / 249,417 Facebook post views
- Sent GABT press releases out in DC, Naperville and North Wildwood markets
- Sent Rancher’s Reserve local press releases out Costa Mesa market
- Sent Kingsford Points Chase press releases in Lenexa, Marshalltown and DC markets
- Updating Kingsford Points Chase blog after events
- Updating News section of KCBS website as needed
- Ongoing CBJ PR
- Continued Kingsford Points Chase implementation/follow-up
- Completed second Reser’s Fine Foods American Classics Summer Series event
- Assisted Reser’s in coordination of ancillary KCBS event
- Coordinating Rancher’s Reserve Beef Cup pre- and post- event
- Assisting Rancher’s Reserve with ordering quantities
- Completed 2011 Annual Membership Survey
- Additional discussions:
- Goody Bag program has been placed on hold due to lack of support from sponsors
- Credit Card: Carolyn will begin working on the KCBS credit card and will get back w/the board
- Infrastructure work must be completed on the new trailer and dewrapping is in progress.
- MMA will send a breakdown on how the $20,000 "slush fund" approved by the board is being spent.
FINANCE COMMITTEE REPORT: Mike Budai
Mike Budai moved that the board approve the financial statements as presented to the board. Seconded by Mike Lake, the motion was passed unanimously.
EDUCATION COMMITTEE REPORT: Paul Kirk
Although there is very little going on with the “CAT’S” program this summer we are looking to getting some teams and competitions starting this spring which gives time to organize and find sponsors for the schools teams.
Right now we have an interest from Wheaton Missouri area, Stafford Kansas, Picayune Mississippi, Kansas City and Nashville areas and looking for more.
CBJ REPORT: Mike Lake
Randy and Carol Bigler have entered the training phase for CBJ Instructors. This was due to the need of an instructor in the Mid-South. No others trainees have been accepted elsewhere, due to present numbers. The judges' continuing education program is currently being looked at by MMA’s web people. Update on attendance at judging classes has been submitted to board members for review. Mike is still accepting questions re: CBJ on going education to be available on-line and the committee is working with MMA for the best way to format this project.
RULES COMMITTEE REPORT: Randy Bigler
The Rules Committee met by Conference Call on Thursday 7 July. The following recommendations/motion are submitted for the BOD Agenda.
The motion to require a comment card on any score given that is less than 5 was tabled.
The motion that rule number 7 be changed to read that all competition meats will be inspected by the KCBS contest rep was tabled
The motion that the contest rep be required to conduct a pit inspection for cleanliness at each contest was tabled.
The motion to change Rule 11 was tabled until the August meeting of the board
CONTEST REP COMMITTEE REPORT: Mark Simmons/Randy Bigler
Don and Nancy Mueller have been hired as new reps in the Northeast. Additional items to be considered in closed session were presented. Mike also reported the resignation of one contest rep.
SANCTIONING & MENTORING COMMITTEE REPORT: Wayne Lohman
The Sanctioning Committee recommends approval of all new and existing contests listed in the July New/Change Request Report, with the exception of the contest in Waxhaw, NC. Seconded by Mike Budai, the recommendation was approved unanimously.
12/10-11 The Little Engine That Could Vista, CA
10/7-8 Grill'n & Chill'n on Main Waxhaw, NC
9/9 Hampton Bay Days BBQ Challenge Hampton, VA
9/30-10/1 TBD Jonesboro, AR
New Competitor Series Contest:
10/8 Future Legends of Barbeque Tuxedo, NC
Existing Contests (2012):
4/6-7 Kennett Jaycee's Show Me State BBQ Cookoff Kennett, MO
5/18-19 Wheatstock Grill-Off Peace Love & BBQ Abilene, KS
New Contests (2012):
3/16-17 Link Centre Don't Be Cruel BBQ Duel Tupelo, MS
6/29-30 Covington Cork and Pork Festival Covington, VA
6/22-23 Peak City Pig Fest Apex, NC
5/19-20 The Big Oink Sacramento, CA
The Sanctioning Committee recommended a request to reduce prize money for three contests be denied. The board agreed to deny the request. Committee also updated the board on requests to postpone and to move other contests.
TECHNOLOGY COMMITTEE REPORT: Don Harwell - No report was submitted, but mentioned that the new computer program is on hold. Although Mike Budai will assume the position as chairman of the committee for the program, Don Harwell will continue to chair the Technology Committee.
MEMBERSHP COMMITTEE REPORT: Gene Goycochea
Reported that the menu and other details for the Annual Meeting have been finalized. Candy Weaver moved that we approve the contract from the hotel; Seconded by Tana Shupe, the motion passed unanimously.
Gene recommendations regarding business-related memberships. With the board's approval, he will work with MMA for additional input and implementation ideas, and will send a questionnaire to board members for their input on how to proceed.
PHILANTHROPY COMMITTEE REPORT: Arlie Bragg - No Report
AD HOC COMMITTEE REPORT: Candy Weaver
This committee is still working on implementation of specific issues and will update the board at next meeting.
REPORT ON CONTEST PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT: Candy Weaver
President Weaver made a motion that the contest program committee chair be assumed by Mike Budai, and that the committee be reformed. Seconded by Tana Shupe, a roll call vote was requested.
(7) Ayes: Shupe, Budai, Kirk, Lake, Bigler, Simmons, Lohman
(3) Nays: Harwell, Goycochea, Bragg
(1) Absent: Whitebook Motion carries.
Candy will send the contract for the program to all board members.
Candy Weaver made a motion to ratify the Sam's Club . Seconded by Mike Lake, ayes were unanimous
Candy Weaver made a motion to accept attorney's recommendation regarding wording for punishment of independent contractors. Seconded by PaulKirk, ayes were unanimous.
A motion to go into closed session was made by Randy Bigler and seconded by Paul Kirk. With 10 aye votes and one nay, the board entered closed session with the following items for consideration.
(1) Behavior of a particular team and a recent incident - was determined to not be an issue for the board.
(2) A matter pertaining to a specific contest rep.
(3) Request from a team regarding a suspension.
(4) Discussion regarding business memberships.
(5) Suggestion from attorney regarding a rep issue.
(6) A team member's celebratory verbalization.
Email Blast (issues regarding blasts, i.e. cost, criteria, etc.): A policy will be suggested by the Marketing Committee with input from MMA. Tana will submit a report at the August meeting.
The concensus of the board is to will allow a short period of time during its meeting for administrative and other "generic" questions from its members.
Paul Kirk moved to adjourn at 10:04. 2nd by Mike Budai. Ayes unanimous.