KCBS BOD MEETING - September 12, 2012September 13, 2012
KANSAS CITY BARBEQUE SOCIETY
Board of Director's Meeting
September 12, 2012
*These "Quick Notes" reflect the actions taken at the meeting of the above date but are not the official "Minutes" until approved by the entire board at its next scheduled monthly meeting.
President Candy Weaver called the meeting to order at 7:05 p.m. central time.
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT: Executive Director Carolyn Wells, Candy Weaver, Mike Budai, Mark Simmons, Tana Shupe, Randy Bigler, Mike Lake, Arlie Bragg, Jeff Stith, Steve Farrin, and Dave Compton. Paul Kirk was absent.
MEMBERS CALLING IN: Dennis & Linda Polson, Dale Newstrom, Vickie Peyton, Karrin Murphy, and Casey Taylor-Johns (MMA).
MEMBER REQUESTS TO SPEAK: There were no requests to speak.
Recitation of KCBS Mission and Board Pledge:
MISSION: Recognizing barbeque as America's Cuisine, the Mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form.
BOARD PLEDGE: I accept my duties as a KCBS director to further the KCBS Mission so that truth, justice, excellence in BBQ and the American way of life may be strengthened and preserved forever.
MINUTES of August 8 & 15, 2012 - Tana Shupe: Previously sent to board members and posted on KCBS website, I request that the Minutes from the meetings on August 8 and the special meeting on August 15, 2012 be accepted as presented. Motion to accept was seconded by Randy Bigler and the Minutes were approved as presented.
FINANCIAL REPORT - Mark Simmons:
The Finance Committee moves that the August financials be approved as attached. Seconded by Mike Budai, the financials were accepted as presented.
KCBS/MMA MARKETING REPORT - September 2012 - Jeff Stith
- Total August Sales: $2579
- Advertising sold for August: $800
- Uploaded September Bullsheet
- Uploaded MP3 of August’s BOD
- 2013 Banquet Registration
- Partner Programs Update:
- Tyson Best Wing on the Planet- 4 activations in August
- Reser’s America’s Best Potato Salad Challenge and Kingsford $40K Challenge- 0 activations in August
- 2 successful tour activations in August: Wisconsin State Fair in West Ellis, WI and Blues, Brews and Barbeque in Birch Run, MI
- Continual Coordination and Logistics for 2012 GABT Tour
Sam’s National BBQ Tour
- Continual Coordination and Logistics for 2012 Sam’s Tour- 4 local events in Rockford, IL, Pittsburgh, PA, Medford, NY, Pleasantville, NJ
- Continual PR/Social Media Updates
- Sam’s National Championship Weekend: planning and sponsor coordination
- Social Media, using MMA, KCBS, and GABT Facebook and Twitter pages to promote KCBS-related events/promotions
- GABT: 2125 Twitter Followers / 1479 FB Likes
- KCBS: 1793 Twitter Followers / 10,964 FB Likes
- Updating KCBS/GABT Twitter feeds/facebook feeds 3-4 times per week (more frequent for Twitter) and engaging in more conversations via Twitter to build a better "community"
- Updated News section of KCBS website as necessary (Sam’s Club results, Jack drawing)
- Bullsheet Content – Sam’s Review, Kingsford Review, Tyson recap, Reser’s Review
- GABT blog post reviews
- GABT -local PR: Wisconsin State Fair and Blues, Brews and Barbeque
- Sharing GABT Big Green Egg promotions via Twitter and Facebook
- Mike will update the board on sponsorship activities
Jeff Stith reported that the Sam's Club management is very happy with this year's events, and the competitions will be held again in 2013 with the same number of contests and the same prize money, and that they plan to have more in Kansas and Missouri.
Candy Weaver made a motion to accept the marketing report; seconded by Mike Lake, the motion passed.
SANCTIONING REPORT - Submitted by Karrin Murphy
The MR BBQ Barbeque Challenge has requested to be moved from the Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds to Le Claire Park in Davenport, IA.
A date change was requested for the Little Engine Vista contest from 12/8/12 to 12/15/12.
New Contests in 2012
10/12-13 2nd Annual High Point BBQ Battle Clarksburg MD
11/9-11 Smoke on the Water Nevada BBQ
Championship Laughlin NV
Existing Contests in 2013
Date Contest Name City ST
1/25-26 5th Annual Lake Havasu Music Brews &
BBQ Championship Lake Havasu City AZ
3/8-9 BBQ Championship & Hog Wild Festival Mobile AL
3/29-30 Benton KY Kiwanis Barbeque Kook-Off Benton KY
4/5-6 Kennett Jaycee's Show Me State BBQ
Cook-Off Kennett MO
4/19-20 Main Street BBQ & Bluesfest Washington MO
4/26-27 BBQ Boogie & Blues Calhoun GA
5/3-4 Bixby BBQ & Blues Festival Bixby OK
5/25-26 BBQ, Blues & Brews on the Bay North Bend OR
5/31-6/01 Big Blue BBQ Championship Marysville KS
6/7-8 It's A Smokin Good Thing Tecumseh OK
6/7-8 Boats, Bands and BBQ Pueblo CO
6/14-15 Blue Ridge BBQ & Music Festival Tryon NC
6/21-22 5th Annual Auburn Hills BBQ Cook-Off Auburn Hills MI
7/3-4 Liberty 4th Fest BBQ Contest Liberty OH
7/4-5 I Love Barbecue & Music Festival Lake Placid NY
7/12-13 Ohio Veterans Barbeque Cook-Off Kettering OH
7/19-20 Blues, BBQ & Bargains Hays KS
7/26-27 Foothills ountry Fair BBQ Bash Cleveland TN
8/2-3 Laurie Hillbilly BBQ Laurie MO
8/23-24 Death's Door Barbecue Washington Island WI
9/13-14 Cherokee Strip Cook-Off Ponca City OK
New Contests in 2013
5/3-4 The Masters in May Fremont WI
6/14-15 California Honey Harvest Festival &
KCBS BBQ Fillmore CA
6/21-22 South Park Kirk Ass BBQ Competition Fairplay CO
6/28-29 Hogging Up Virginia/Bluegrass BBQ
Competition Winchester VA
Licensed in 2012
10/3 Holmes Drywall Kansas City MO
CBJ REPORT - Mike Lake
This past Wednesday, September 5th the CBJ committee met to select for your approval new CBJ instructors. Please refer to list below to see the individuals that were considered by the committee.
The following were selected to be presented to the board:
Kelly McIntosh - California
Dave Londeen - Minnesota
Bill & Debbie Gage - International & Domestic
Wayne & Maria Lohman - International & Domestic
Mike Lake made a motion that the board accept the recommendations from the committee and approve the above mentioned individuals to be CBJ instructors. Seconded by Randy Bigler, the motion passed.
Note: The Y-T-D report on class activity will be sent to you from the office.
Perspective CBJ Instructors presented to the CBJ committee:
(in no particular order of preference)
Lew Miller - (Iowa).
Dave Londeen - (Minnesota)
Dennis Polson - (Kansas)
Larry King - (Kansas City)
Tana Shupe - (Tennessee)
Ernie Poland -(Tennessee)
The Lovely's -(New England)
Kelly McIntosh -(California)
Steve & Scot Grinstead - (Ohio)
Bill & Debbie Gage - (International)
Wayne & Maria Lohman - (International)
Ralph Williams - (Arkansas)
Current CBJ Instructors:
1. Mike Lake. 9. Don Harwell
2. Carolyn Wells. 10. Ken Daki
3. Mark Simmons. 11. Randy Bigler
4. Ed Roith. 12. Gene Goyachea
5. Bunny Tuttle
6. Merl Whitebook
7. Mark Simmons.
8. Stephen Smith.
Wayne & Maria Lohman - International
Bill & Debbie Gage - International
KCBScore COMMITTEE - Mike Budai
The committee has received and evaluated two updates to Score since the last board meeting. While we are getting close to having a beta ready version, several issues must be corrected first.
1)There is an issue with the 32 bit version dealing with a printing error that the developer has a fix for and should be included in the next update.
2)Another issue has to do with making it easier to edit the data fields during entry of the first judge at a table.
3)The pre-populated CBJ number field still needs improvement.