KCBS BOD QUICK NOTES - October 10, 2012 (Part 2)October 17, 2012
This is a continuation of the Quick Notes previously posted on this website. I apologize that the entire Quick Notes were not accepted earlier.
Tana Shupe, Secretary
All results matched between the two programs and Score ran without incident.
Work continues on the API function. Meetings this week are planned to finalize the login security. At this point, Score sends it's data to our website server, is stored in a file and reports if successful. The CMS for the office to check and edit results is almost finished. The remaining steps for the API to finish are:
1) to parse the received and stored contest data file to populate the database tables.
2) complete the security login.
3) include a copy of the contest database with the results that then gets emailed to the email@example.com address to be archived on our local server.
While we still have quite a few cosmetic tweaks to take care of, we are down to the few issues stated above before I feel we are ready to start beta testing.
Once we have working 32 and 64 bit installers, I plan on distributing Score to the board via our Usendit account regardless of where we are with the cosmetic changes. Since this is still a work in progress and there is currently no security function, I ask the board members not to distribute copies of the program to anyone else.
I ask the board to accept this report. Seconded by Mike Lake, the report was accepted as presented.
TECHNOLOGY COMMITTEE REPORT - Mike Budai
Update since the August 8th board meeting:
1) Created and posted MP3s of the August 8th and 15th board meetings on our website.
2) Completed purchasing and delivery of all the software and hardware for the office computer upgrade.
a) Completed creating and installing the image for all the new desktop computers.
b) Currently working on creating the laptop image.
Once the laptop image is finished and installed I will begin deploying all the new machines. Due to time constraints imposed by finishing Score and the barbeque season, I don't expect to be able to finish the deployment until the end of November.
Item for board discussion: I would like the board to discuss and decide which board members are to receive which critiques sent to our KCBS groups.
Randy Bigler made a motion that the committee chair should receive the critiqes and pass them along to whomever he/she feels is appropriate. After discussion, the motion was tabled.
Mike Budai made a motion to accept the report; seconded by Tana Shupe, the report was accepted as presented.
REP COMMITTEE REPORT - Mark Simmons
The rep committee met Wednesday evening, September 5 and interviewed reps in training who had fulfilled their qualifications.
A Contest rep webinar was held on Tuesday evening, September 4th and seemed to be well attended and well received. Many topics were discussed and several questions were answered. This is a part of the ongoing training for continuous improvement in our leadership skills and understanding of the duties of a KCBS contest rep. The other dates are Thursday, September 13th at 8:00 p.m. CDT and Wednesday, September 19th at 8:00 p.m. CDT.
Motion #1: The rep committee unanimously moves that Larry and Lynda Voth, having completed their training, be approved as KCBS contest reps. Seconded by Mike Budai, the motion passed.
Motion #2: The rep committee unanimously moves that Kent and Rachel Scheetz, having completed their training, be approved as KCBS contest reps. After further discussion, the motion was tabled until next month.
Motion #3: The rep committee moves that Bill Maes of Colorado be approved as a KCBS contest rep in training. Seconded by Tana Shupe, the motion passed.
There is an additional matter concerning a rep for discussion in executive session.
ELECTION COMMITTEE REPORT - Randy Bigler
One person has shown interest in running for the board. Randy reported that we will use VoteNet again this year for our election procedures. Candy Weaver reminded the board that we will be voting on four members with the 5th person filling the position recently vacated by George Mullins. Current board members not eligible for re-election are Paul
Kirk and Mike Lake; Candy Weaver and Arlie Bragg are eligible for re-election.
RULES COMMITTEE REPORT - Dave Compton
Dave was prepared to make motions regarding two recent suggestions for changes to KCBS Rules, but was reminded that all changes must be turned in by August of each year, and asked Dave to start a file with suggestions for new rule changes to be presented to the next elected board.
MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE REPORT - Steve Farrin
Number of Total Members= 17046
Number of New Members= 239
Number of Renewed Members= 753
Number of non-renewals=616
Number of members who signed up via the westsite=89 (18 were families)
Number of new Members from Judging classes=330
Motion: In order to both maintain and attract new member of KCBS I move that KCBS offers to cover the minimal costs associated with adding new discounts to the members only page. Any discount program that the BOD approves will contain the discount information as well as a link to the discounters web page. The discount will only appear on the members only page, not in the Bullsheet or email blast. Each company that is approved to appear on the members only page will be provided information on Bullsheet, eblast and website advertising.
I further move that the costs of adding discounts to the members only page be tracked each month and made available to the BOD to insure that they don't become excessive. If the costs do become excessive then the BOD has the right to rescind this offer. Seconded by Dave Compton, the motions passed.
President Weaver's proposed that the Nondisclosure Agreement for board review should be signed by all board members and office staff. After discussion, the board asked Candy Weaver and Steve Farrin to gather additional information and that the Agreement be taken to the lawyers for further clarification.
Jeff Stith withdrew his motion to reconsider a recent decision by the board.
Mike Budai moved to go into Executive Session; seconded by Mike Lake, the motion passed.
When returning to Open Session, the following decisions were announced.
Carolyn Wells will write a letter to the organizer of the contest in Myrtle Beach citing concerns by the cooks and directing the organizer to attend other contests before their 2013 event.
Regarding Candy Weaver's presentation regarding a potential website helpful to KCBS, she and Carolyn Wells will gather additional information and report back to the board.
Candy Weaver made a motion to accept Carolyn Wells' Employment Agreement. Seconded by Mike Budai, the motion passed.
At 9:00 p.m. Randy Bigler made a motion to adjourn; seconded by Steve Farrin, the motion passed.
This concludes the Minutes from the meeting in September.
Finance Committee Report - Mark Simmons
The finance committee recommends the adoption of the financial reports submitted to the Board of Directors for September 2012. Seconded by Mike Budai financial reports were accepted as presented.
Marketing Committee Report - Jeff Stith
- Total September Sales: $1795
- Advertising sold for September: $600
- Uploaded October Bullsheet
- Uploaded MP3 of September’s BOD
- 2013 Banquet Registration
- Partner Programs Update:
- Tyson Best Wing on the Planet- 4 activations in Sept.
- Reser’s America’s Best Potato Salad Challenge – 2 activations in Sept.
- Kingsford $40K Challenge- –3 activations in Sept.
- 3 successful tour activations in September: Smokin’ in Mesquite BBQ Challenge in Mesquite, NV, Colorado Pork and Hops Challenge in Grand Junction, CO and Praise the Lard Murphysboro BBQ Cook-Off in Murphysboro, IL
- Continual coordination and logistics for the remainder of 2012 GABT Tour
Sam’s National BBQ Tour
- Continual Coordination and Logistics for 2012 Sam’s Tour- 1 local events in Laurel, MD and 3 regional events in Chesapeake, VA, Hendersonville, TN and St. Charles, MO
- Continual PR/Social Media Updates
- Sam’s National Championship Weekend: planning, sponsor coordination and VIP party planning/logistics, hotel group block created
- Social Media, using MMA, KCBS, and GABT Facebook and Twitter pages to promote KCBS-related events/promotions
- GABT: 2157 Twitter Followers / 1515 FB Likes
- KCBS: 1857 Twitter Followers / 11,144 FB Likes
- Updated News section of KCBS website as necessary (Sam’s Club results, Banquet News)
- Bullsheet Content – Sam’s Review, Kingsford Review, Tyson recap, Reser’s Review, Smithfield Review
- GABT blog post reviews
- GABT, monitored local PR for Smokin’ in Mesquite and Praise the Lard in Chicago and Reno, NV markets
- Sharing GABT Big Green Egg promotions via Twitter and Facebook (over 50 people participated in our GABT Big Green Egg Twitter contest which ran September 20-25)
- Smithfield Seal of Approval planning/update from Mike
Mike McCloud submitted the following updates:
1. Smithfield has expressed interest in pursuing the KCBS Seal of Approval.
2. MMA is pursuing a non-monetized alliance with Destination America. .
The Marketing Committee report was accepted as presented.
Sanctioning Committee Report - Karrin Murphy
3/1-2 Smokin in the Square Pensacola FL
4/5-6 Stillwater Elks 25th Annual Blazathon Stillwater OK
4/19-20 8th Annual Smokin' Red Dirt BBQ Enid OK
4/19-20 Rock'n Ribs BBQ Festival Springfield MO
5/17-18 Chesapeake Jubilee BBQ Cook-off Chesapeake VA
5/31-6/1 McLouth BBQ Blowout 22nd Annual McLouth KS
5/31-6/1 Bridge City BBQ Fest Ottumwa IA
6/28-29 Grillin' in Grafton Grafton WI
7/5-6 Rio Rancho Pork & Brew State BBQ Championship Rio Rancho NM
7/26-27 Up In Smoke BBQ Bash Mason City IA
8/16-17 9th Annual Pepsi Wyoming State BBQ & Bluegrass
Festival Worland WY
8/16-17 Mountain Maryland BBQ Cumberland MD
8/23-24 New Holland Summer Fest New Holland PA
8/23-24 Up In Smoke on the Square Lincoln IL
9/20-21 Tilley Harley-Davidson Biker Blues BBQ Rally
And BBQ Classic Salisbury NC
3/22-23 Best of the Basin Barbeque Championship Midland TX
3/22-23 Heatin' Up the Bricks Kearney NE
5/3-4 West Knoxville Rotary BBQ Cookoff Knoxville TN
5/17-18 Buckeye State BBQ Championship West Chester oh
6/1-2 Manadnock Up in Smoke BBQ Fest Swanzey NH
6/7-8 Podunk Pig Party Springwater NY
7/19-20 Warren All American BBQ Festival Warren PA
7/19-20 Smokin the Valley Blueberry Festival and
Bar-B-Que Cook-Off Unicoi TN
8/16-17 Conifer Mountain BBQ Challenge Conifer CO
10/4-5 Bluff City Octoberfest Memphis TN
10/10-12 City of Earlington Octoberfest Earlington KY
8/17-18 Kansas City Kosher BBQ Competition & Festival Overland Park KS
Carolyn will contact the contest organizers and/or verify the date requests in Stillwater, OK, Memphis, TN, and Arlington, KY, due to other contests being held near those areas on those dates. Seconded by Tana Shupe, the report was accepted as amended.
Education Committee Report - Tana Shupe
I am asking the Education Committee to prepare a series of "lessons" for young cooks designed to instruct and engage them in the basics of cooking, and would progress through numerous levels of accomplishment by which they can earn badges or pins that recognize each level they reach.