Sept BOD agendaSeptember 8, 2013
Kansas City Barbeque Society
Board of Director's AGENDA
September 11, 2013
RECITATION OF KCBS MISSION STATEMENT AND BOARD BLEDGE
I move to accept minutes of last meeting
New Contest 2013 12/13-15/2013 Downtown Throwdown Barbecue Championship Las Vegas NV No conflicts
New Contest 2014 8/22/2013 4/5-6/2014 Cedar Fest BBQ Cook-Off
Cedar Park TX New Contest 2014 8/19/2013 3/28-29/2014 Fire Ant Festival BBQ Bash Ashburn GA
New Contest 2014 8/23/2013 7/24-26/2014 Days of 47 BBQ Showdown Holladay UT No conflicts
Existing Contest 2014 8/19/2013 4/4-5/2014 Fourth Annual Bull Moose Somerville TN No conflicts
Existing Contest 2014 8/27/2013 4/4-5/2014 Benton KY Kiwanis Barbeque Kookoff Benton KY No conflicts- changed weekends, always the first Saturday before the first Monday in April.
Existing Contest 2014 8/25/2013 4/11-12/2014 9th Annual Smokin' Red Dirt BBQ Enid OK No conflicts - changed weekends due to Easter
Existing Contest 2014 8/27/2013 4/11-12/2014 The Best Dam BBQ Contest at Smithville Lake Smithville MO Osage City- 105 miles (co-existed in 2013)
Existing Contest 2014 9/3/2013 5/2-3/2014 Naptown barBAYq Contest & Music Festical Annapolis MD No conflicts
Existing Contest 2014 8/22/2013 5/16-17/2014 Heatin' Up The Bricks Kearney NE No conflicts - date change - venue being booked and unavailable the weekend in March (3/22-23)
Existing Contest 2014 8/27/2013 5/30-31/2014 The Rotary Club of West Knoxville - Rocky Top Hummin' & Strummin' BBQ Cook-Off Knoxville TN No conflicts - date change - Site of event unavailable during originally weekend (5/2-3)
Existing Contest 2014 9/3/2013 5/30-31/2014 Smokin in Steele Owatonna MN No conflicts Londeen
Existing Contest 2014 8/19/2013 6/20-21/2014 6th Annual Auburn Hills Barbecue Cook-Off Auburn Hills MI No conflicts Grinsteads
Existing Contest 2014 8/14/2013 6/27-28/2014 Bend of the River CookOut Mankato MN No conflicts
Existing Contest 2014 9/6/2013 7/3-4/2014 Liberty 4th Fest BBQ Contest Liberty MO No conflicts
Existing Contest 2014 9/6/2013 7/4-6/2014 I Love Barbecue & Music Festival Lake Placid NY No conflicts
Existing Contest 2014 8/21/2013 7/5-6/2014 Montana BBQ Cook-Off Absarokee MT No conflicts
Existing Contest 2014 8/19/2013 7/18-19/2014 Island Resort and Casino U.P. Hog Wild Harris MI No conflicts
Existing Contest 2014 8/30/2013 6/6-7/2014 Mc Louth BBQ Blowout 23rd Annual McLouth KS Lee's Summit, MO - 60 miles Co-existed in 2012, 2011
KCBS/MMA Marketing Report
● Total August Sales: $9,035
● Advertising sold for August: $1,905
● Added Aidrondack Grilling Pellets to Members Discount Page
● 502 members have opted in to receive Birthday emails
● 2,302 online entries for the KCBS Celebrity BBQ Bash contest
● 4 successful event activations in August: Wisconsin State Fair in West Allis, WI; Med City BBQ & Musicfest in Rochester, MN; 9th Annual Pepsi Wyomming State BBQ & Bluegrass Festival in Worland, WY; and Nugget Rib Cook-Off: Best in the West in Sparks, NV
● 1 successful retail activations: Sam’s Club #6312 in Woodbury, MN
● Continual Coordination and Logistics for 2013 GABT Tour
● GABT promotional registrations thus far 9,513
Sam’s National BBQ Tour
● 24 Local events complete
● 2 Regional events complete
● Continual PR/Social Media Updates
● Coordination and logistics for 2013 Sam’s Tour
● Coordination and logistics for 2013 Championship & VIP Banquet Smithfield:
● 3 successful events: Great Southern Tailgate Cook-Off in Amelia Island, FL; Pigs & Peaches BBQ Festival in Kennesaw, GA; City of Bedford Blues & BBQ Festival in Bedford, TX
● Monthly eblast to SRSS database featuring upcoming events, announcing winners and a call out to Smithfield Food Service
● Monthly strategy calls with Smithfield to discuss social media, events, couponing
● Continual Coordination and Logistics
● Possible addition of 13th RSS event – Mike to discuss
Wright Brand Bacon:
● 3 successful Destination: Bacon Domination! Events: Great Southern Tailgate Cook-Off in Amelia Island, FL; Pigs & Peaches BBQ Festival in Kennesaw, GA; City of Bedford Blues & BBQ Festival in Bedford, TX
• Continual Coordination and Logistics for remaining events
● 2 successful events: Maryland State BBQ Bash in Bel Air, MD; City of Bedford Blues & BBQ Festival in Bedford, TX
• Continual Coordination and Logistics for remaining events PR
● Social Media, using KCBS, and GABT Facebook and Twitter pages to promote KCBS-related events/promotion
● GABT: 3,450 Twitter Followers / 6,024 FB Likes
● KCBS: 4,049 Twitter Followers / 18,194 FB Likes
● Updated News section of KCBS website as necessary (Sam's Tour new posts, KCBS team of the week and recaps, Smithfield Rib Super Series recap, Kingsford contest)
● Bullsheet Content – Sam’s Tour, Smithfield, Reser's, GABT
● Promoting contest on each platform (Big Green Giveaway and Backyard Celebrity BBQ Bash)
● Purchased two week ad space for KCBS to increase Facebook exposure
● Special initiative for 2014 – still trying to coordinate a 2013 test
● KC Marathon - possible cross-promo opportunity – update from Carolyn/Mike
● New International Chapter logo developed – needs board approval
For consideration. This is the text. MMA to make pretty.
I would like to ask the Board's permission to start running small announcements in the BullSheet reminding our members about the upcoming applications for Grants in Aid and Charitable Grants. I would like these to be just a simple announcement letting everyone know that the applications will be posted in a couple of months and that the final date for them to be received in our office is by close of business March 15,2014 (or any other date that the Board decides).
I would also like to stress that all applications must be complete and on time to be considered.
We will have a few different versions of the final application to bring to the Board next month. Any Board member who has thoughts or suggestions on this is more than welcome to let me know.
I ask that this report be accepted
CBJ Committee Report: September 2013, Chair – Don Harwell
As of the end of August; 54 Certified Barbeque Judging (CBJ) classes have been taught in 2013, two of those being international (Netherlands and England). There has been a total of 2451 Students, 1712 New Members, 720 KCBS Members.
KCBS has also had 20 Certified Table Captain (CTC) Classes with a total of 298 students.
The CBJ committee met on August 27th with discussion on the following to be presented to the BOD:
1. CBJ Shirts and Master Shirts.
Update: The new shirts are now available on the KCBS web site.
2. Discussion took place on the new pin to recognize CBJs judging 100 contests.
The committee likes the KCBS cooks 700 pin and would like to see the CBJs 100+ pin look similar.
1 100+ Contest
I motion that the CBJ 100 pin be created and ordered to look similar to the one shown above.
Secondly, I motion that the web site be changed to reflect the word “Master” beside a MCBJ member’s name and add “TC” and “100+” beside each name as applicable.
3. The next CBJ Committee meeting is scheduled for September 24th.
Ad Hoc Committee: Comment Cards
The committee has three versions of Comment Cards for the board’s review.
I motion that the BOD vote on each of the three versions and the one with the highest votes be adopted and be put into use as quickly as they can be printed and distributed to the Reps. The BOD has been copied on the designs with this report. See Sept. 5th e-mail
To date, we have now successfully run 129 contests using Score.
I ask the board to accept this report.
Activity Since Last Report:
1) Posted the August 14, 2013 board meeting recording to our website.
2) Performed maintenance and setup on two office workstations.
3) Updated office email accounts as requested.
4) Worked on removing closed session recordings.
I ask the board accept this report.
The finance committee moves that the August financials for KCBS be adopted as presented.
No additional motions at this time.
2013 Aug Financials.xlsx 2013 Aug Financials.xlsx
17K View Open as a Google spreadsheet Download
The strategic planning committee met on August 12 and August 26 discussing various issues. I wish to express my appreciation for all the committee members and their valuable input.
We have one motion for discussion in executive session.
I like to make a motion to accept the McKee as Reps
Below are the numbers for AUGUST 2013.
Number of Total Members= 18,221
Number of New Members= 552
Number of Renewed Members=876
Number of Non-renewals= 802
Number of members who signed up via the website= 253 (34 were families)
Number of New Members from Judging classes= 144
The membership committee did not have a chance to meet this past month. I will try to make something happen before our October meeting. I would like to get input from cooking team members about ways to increase cook awareness and membership. In visiting with Mike B, there is no easy way for the system to set a limit or number on competitions that a team has cooked (say 10 and less and 10 and more) to designate a lower level TOY. We also have "levels" of CBJ - CBJ, MCBJ, 100+ CBJ. I would like to see team levels or recognition. Currently we have 700+, 180, and TOY. While everyone has a chance for these, there should be other ways to recognize such as Head Cook who is also CBJ, Head Cook who is also Table Captain, Head cook who has cooked 10, 20, 30 events in a year. Team members who are also involved. Don H had suggested a "Pitmaster" designation a couple of years ago. I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas.
KCBS attorney information