May BOD Meeting MinutesMay 16, 2014
Kansas City Barbeque Society
Board of Directors’ Meeting Quick Minutes
May 14, 2014
Mark Simmons, Kim Collier, Candy Weaver, Bill Capstack, Dennis Polson, Randy Bigler, Richard Preston, Dave Compton, Steve Farrin, Mike Peters. Out: Wayne Lohman Late: Don Harwell. Also on call, Megan LeBlanc, MMA, Karrin Murphy, KCBS. Member calling in to speak: Larry Griffin
Larry Griffin: SPOKE REGARDING COMPLAINT AGAINST HIM FROM THE SOUTHERN HOT WINGS FESTIVAL. HE IS SORRY FOR WHAT HE SAID.
Recognizing barbeque as America’s cuisine, the mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form.
I accept my duties as a KCBS director to further the KCBS mission so that truth, justice and excellence in barbeque and the American way of life may be strengthened and preserved forever.
Minutes of April Meeting
Candy Weaver: I move to accept minutes of last meeting. 2ND CAPSTACK. PETERS: DIDN’T PITMASTER HAND OFF TO MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE AT LAST MEETING? ON AGENDA FOR OLD BUSINESS, OFFICIALLY HAND OFF THEN.
FARRIN ABSTAINS (MISSED LAST MEETING), MOTION PASSES.
I ask the Board to accept current financial statements. 2ND PRESTON. PASSES.
We talked to 3 different financial money management groups, we found one we feel will meet with BOD concerns and KCBS future needs. AMERICAN CENTURY FINANCIAL – CONSERVATIVE INVESTMENT FUNDS, SET FEE NOT A PERCENTAGE.
Strategic planning goal financial
Set a vision plan financial future
Get C3 back – DISCUSSION AS TO WHEN WE LOST IT. CAPSTACK LATER IN MEETING C3 FOR FOUNDATION IS DISCUSSED.
I ask the board to accept the following finical reports
Mark Simmons: COMMENDS COMMITTEE CHAIRS FOR PROJECTING GOALS FOR 2014. THIS IS AN AGENDA OF WORK FOR COMMITTEES GOING FORWARD THROUGH YEAR.
Karrin Murphy: Automatic Approval
REC’D DATES NAME CITY, STATE
4/21/2014 7/25-26/2014 Charcoal for Charity North Platte, NE
5/6/2014 8/2-3/2014 Smoke in the North Olofstorp Sweden
5/7/2014 8/22-23/2014 Wild West BBQ Shoot Out Wendover, NV
5/8/2014 9/4-6/2014 The Great Vegas Gridiron Grill-off Las Vegas, NV
4/4/2014 9/6-7/2014 BBQ Masters in the Woods Foster, RI
5/6/2014 9/13-14/2014 BBQ on the Bypass Langley BC Canada
4/11/2014 11/7-8/2014 MO Veterans Home BBQ St. James, MO
BIVOUAC “Armed Forces Tribute”
4/11/2014 11/8-9/2014 MO Veterans Home BBQ St. James, MO
BIVOUAC “POW/MIA Tribute”
4/15/2014 11/7-8/2014 Country Pleasin Grillin & Chillin BBQ Florence, MS
Existing Contests 2015:
4/14/2014 2/26-28/2015 Shotgun Fred BBQ Showdown Huntsville, TX
5/6/2014 3/27-28/2015 Fire Ant Festival BBQ Bash Ashburn, GA
5/5/2014 4/3-4/2015 Que at the View Gulfport, MS
4/14/2014 4/10-11/2015 Grills Gone Wild BBQ Festival London, KY
4/21/2014 4/10-11/2015 Triple Threat BBQ Beer & Music Festival Harrington, DE
4/21/2014 9/18-19/2015 Hogs & Hops Beer & BBQ Festival Dover, DE
Existing Contests 2014:
4/22/2014 7/11-12/2014 Holbrook “Ace In The Hole” Holbrook, AZ
5/9/2014 8/16-17/2014 Winnipeg Barbeque and Blues Festival Winnipeg Canada
5/7/2014 9/19-20/2014 Smokin’ on the Track BBQ Festival Shenandoah, VA
4/7/2014 9/26-27/2014 Hermann Bar-BQ & Brats Festival Hermann, MO
4/7/2014 10/2-4/2014 Hog Wild BBQ Festival Corinth, MS
5/8/2014 10/3-4/2014 DO AC Smokin’ Hot Atlantic City BBQ Atlantic City, NJ
4/8/2014 10/17-18/2014 The Fountain’s Blaze off & Senior Q Independence, MO
5/7/2014 6/14/2014 Baconfest Washington Washington, MO
Board Approval Needed:
5/9/2014 8/29-30/2014 Beach Boogie and Barbeque Myrtle Beach, SC
Conflict: Charleston, SC 94 miles
LONG DISCUSSION REGARDING CHARLESTON CHANGING TO SAT/SUN. TABLE APPROVAL UNTIL THIS OPTION IS EXPLORED. BIGLER MOVES TO TABLE THIS APPROVAL UNTIL ALL DISCUSSIONS COMPLETE. 2ND FARRIN. PASSES.
5/8/2014 9/5-7/2014 Heart of Illinois BBQ, Beer & Bluegrass Festival Peoria, IL
Conflict: Quincy, IL 128 miles
DATE CHANGE FOR PEORIA MOVES IT INTO QUINCY DATE CONFLICT. POLSON QUINCY NUMBERS HAVE DROPPED OVER YEARS 28 LAST YEAR. PEORIA HAD 15 TEAMS LAST YEAR. DIFFERENCES IN PRIZE PURSES. COULD PEORIA GO SAT/SUN? DENNIS SAYS LET BOTH GO. IS JUDING ON 7TH IN PEORIA? APPLICATION WOULD TEND TO ASSUME SO. FARRIN MOVES TO ACCEPT BOTH. 2ND WEAVER. PASSES. 7 AYES, 2 NAY
4/30/2014 4/24-25/2015 Smokin’ in the Creek BBQ Cookoff Sugar Creek, MO
Conflict: Overland Park, KS 20 miles
CANCELLED THIS YEAR. CAPSTACK MOVEST TO ACCEPT SUGAR CREEK. 2ND POLSON. PASSES.
Sanctioning Committee Report:
Randy Bigler: The sanctioning committee is continuing their objective of getting the backyard sanctioning forms and a backyard organizers guide completed. We are hoping to have this completed for the July meeting.
BIGLER OFF – PHONE DIFFICULTIES.
MMA May 2014: MEGAN LeBLANC
● Total April Sales: $2,604
● 9 – 15% off coupons redeemed from Birthday emails
● 10 – Cookbooks: $200
• Advertising sold for April: $2,090
● 1072 members have opted in to receive Birthday emails
100KCBS Meals Mission
• 50 events are registered to participate so far UP TO 53 EVENTS TODAY
• Eblast to all members went out on May 6
• First 3 events donated 5,580 meals to charities OVER 7,000 AFTER 5 EVENTS
• Continual PR/Social Media Updates – Picked up by media that reach 74,108,027 Impressions
POLSON ASKED ABOUT HANDLING HEALTH DEPARTMENT ISSUES IN KANSAS.
PROJECTED USE OF FUNDS AT 75%. COUNTER ON THE HOME PAGE OF KCBS.US SHOWING 100KCBS MEALS PROGRESS.
• 11 Local events complete
• 1 Regional (Las Vegas) complete – Regional Marketing was implemented
• Successful so far in getting Troy Black on 7 TV programs to tout KCBS and Sam’s
• Continual PR/Social Media Updates - Picked up by media that reach 8,249,315 Impressions
• On-going coordination and logistics for 2014 Sam’s Tour
Great American Cookout Tour SIMMONS: AT ANNAPOLIS, MD, SAW GAC SETUP
PETERS: TOUR GOING GREAT.
• 4 festivals and 6 retail stops completed
• Continual PR/Social Media Updates – Picked up by media that reach 171,623,549 Impressions
• On-going coordination and logistics for GAC
Reser’s America’s Best Potato Salad Challenge
• 2 out of the 5 competitions completed
• Next stop Blue Ridge BBQ and Music Festival in Tryon, NC
• Online competition is open for recipe submissions - http://resers.com/potatosaladcontest
BBQ Guru Challenge
• 2 out of the 10 competitions completed
• Next stop St. Louis Blues Week
• Social Media, using KCBS, and GAC Facebook and Twitter pages to promote KCBS-related events/promotion
• GAC: 4% increase in Twitter Followers / 4% increase in FB Likes
• KCBS: 6% increase in Twitter Followers / 6% increase in FB Likes
• Updated News section of KCBS website as necessary (Sam's Region 4 preview and review)
• Bullsheet Content – Sam’s, GAC, Reser's, BBQ Guru
• Provided performance stats to strategic committee
• Joined conference call with technology committee
• New McCormick’s program starting in June (will explain on call) ANY THING BEEF USING MONTREAL STEAK SEASONING. POINTS CHASE WITH TEAMS WITH HIGHEST POINTS WINNING, PRIZE IS 3 DEEP AND AWARDED AT BANQUET. EVENTS: WASHINGTON, DC, LENEXA, KS, GRAND RAPIDS, MI AND NASHVILLE TN. PROMOTED THROUGH ORGANIZERS. LENEXA ALREADY PROMOTING EVENT. PRESTON: PLEASE KEEP REPS AT EVENTS NOTIFIED.
Wayne Lohman:No report
Would like to make a motion that the following will be added to the Rep Advisory
Question: Can a Rep, rep a back to back contest?
Answer: Yes, as long as both contests are at the same location. However if the contests are at 2 different locations then the one of the two contests should be assigned another Rep.
POLSON: IF A 3RD REP IS AT SAT/SUN CONTEST BEFORE OTHER 2 ARRIVE, IS THAT OKAY? COLLIER: YES, BECAUSE 3RD REP IS PROVIDING KCBS SERVICES UNTIL OTHER REPS ARRIVE. CAPSTACK: CLARIFY IS “SAME LOCATION” SAME PLACE? COLLIER: YES.
2ND FARRIN. PASSES
I would like to request to be able to put an article in the Bullsheet that we are looking for KCBS reps in the West, North West, East, North East regions.
COLLIER: EXPLOSION OF EVENTS IN CANADA, WORD OF MOUTH NOT ENOUGH TO GET NEW REP TRAINEES. HARWELL: AGAINST THIS BECAUSE TRAINEES NEED TO BE APPROVED BY CURRENT REPS. COLLIER: THAT STANDARD WOULD NOT BE WAIVED.
COLLIER MOVES TO PUT ARTICLE IN BULLSHEET (BOARD WILL REVIEW). 2ND COMPTON. PASSES.
It was confirmed that the Jack will consider a 25 team contest will become 24 team contests if a team is DQ for late turn in and will not become a qualifier for the Jack. The Royal confirm that a 25 team contest will still be a qualifier for the Royal, it not the organizer fault that a team was late for a turn in. It the same for first year contest of 15 teams.
HARWELL: KCBS CHANGED RULES FOR LATE TURN IN SO THAT 25 TEAM CONTEST WOULD STAY A JACK QUALIFIER. COLLIER: JACK CHECKS IF THE MEAT WAS JUDGED. IF NOT JUDGED NOT A QUALIFIER. POLSON: JACK SAYS THE MEAT MUST BE COOKED, TURNED IN AND JUDGED.
HARWELL: REQUEST THAT WE GET JACK RULES IN WRITING, SO THAT RULES CAN BE CHANGED BACK. COLLIER: ROYAL WILL ACCEPT IT. COLLIER: REPS WILL HAVE TO STRESS AT TURN IN AT 25 TEAM CONTESTS THAT TEAMS NOT BE LATE TO TURN IN. FARRIN: CAN WE ALSO GET THE WHITE MEAT CHICKEN RULE CLARIFIED IN WRITING BY THE JACK. POLSON: WILL ADD IT TO THE REQUEST. POSTED ON REP FORUM AFTER POLSON RECEIVES COMMUNICATION FROM JACK.
We talked about different rep items that will be to be added to the common sense list.
Strategic planning goal for Rep committee
Finish the new cook team pamphlet
Set up training procedures for New RIT, and what to do once training is done.
Set up continuing education for Reps
I ask the board to accept this report.
CBJ Committee Report:
Last month this committee asked the Board of Directors to better define “what does fraternization mean”. From the BOD: Judges may be in the cooking area but not to be in a cook’s site on day of turn-in until after the conclusion of judging. This is to prevent a judge from observing a turn in box or any meats being prepared for the contest on the day of turn in.
A CBJ committee meeting was held April the 29th, 2014.
Discussion was held on the following:
On the Judging slips and in classes the word “disqualified” is used when a Rep is to give a one (1).
The committee agrees that this wording should be changed to “Violation”.
I motion to the BOD that the Judging slip card wording change from “disqualified” to “Violation”. 2ND CAPSTACK. WEAVER: IMMEDIATE EFFECT OR WHEN RULES CHANGE FOR 2015? HARWELL: JUST CLARIFICATION NOT A RULES CHANGE. SIMMONS: REPRINT SCORECARDS? HARWELL: CHANGE WHEN WE RUN OUT. FARRIN: CONFUSING, COOKS KNOW WHAT A DISQUALIFICATION IS. HARWELL: NOT REALLY A DISQUALIFICATION IF GARNISH IS ILLEGAL MEAT IS JUDGED.
ROLL CALL VOTE: AYES, CAPSTACK, HARWELL. NAYS, COLLIER, WEAVER, POLSON, PRESTON, COMPTON, FARRIN, PETERS. BIGLER OFF CALL.
In February the BOD asked the CBJ Committee to review the following objectives. The CBJ Committee has been in review of these and will continue to review.
SIMMONS: WHAT ARE COMMITTEES PRIORITIES? HARWELL: MAKING MANUAL MATCH POWERPOINT PRESENATION IN CLASS AS TOP PRIORITY. UPDATING POWERPOINT TO ADD VIDEO OF CAROLYN. CONTINUING TO ADDRESS CLASSES. OTHER COMMITTEE MEMBERS TAKING OTHER ISSUES AS STATED BELOW.
• Update the Organizers Handbook for people who are interested in hosting a CBJ class.
o This is 90% complete and the KCBS office will have the draft for review this month.
• Update PowerPoint for CBJ Class
o The CBJ Class PowerPoint has been updated for 2014, but will continue with small edits as needed throughout the year.
• Update PowerPoint for CTC Class
o The CTC Class PowerPoint has been updated for 2014, but will continue with small edits as needed thought-out the year.
• Add welcome video to PowerPoint
o Wording has been developed for a video by Carolyn Wells to welcome new members and new CBJs to KCBS. This video will be played at each CBJ and CTC class. The video should be completed and added to the class by mid June (sooner if possible).
• Update CBJ Manual to match the PowerPoint presentation
o This new manual has been started and is approximately 50% completed.
• Establish a method for signing up for classes online
o Some discussion was held and a demo of a web system will be shown at the next CBJ Committee meeting.
• Electronic sign in of Judges going for their Master instead of sheet signed by Reps.
o This is still in review.
• More information to Judges (E-blast for Judges)
o The CBJ committee would like to use emails to update CBJs on changes that affect them throughout the year.
• Judges tracking and feedback sheet
o This will be a way to go online and view your judging scores with others at your table and across contest. The BOD is reviewing ways to provide this to all CBJ’s.
• CBJ and CTC Class critiques
o Carol Bigler (a member of this committee) will be creating drafts for our next committee meeting.
• Enhanced training (refresher class)
o Ed Hartman (a member of this committee) will pick-up this and report to this committee next month on his work.
Technology committee met with KCBScore committee, replaced hardrive in office laptop, posted meeting to web site.
KCBScore discuss the problem about the zoom feature that a few people were having with their computer related issue that their default window resolution would not work. ALSO AN ISSUE WITH CLEAR TABLES IN WINDOWS 8. WORKING ON FIXING THAT FOR THE NEXT UPDATE.
I would like to make the motion that when the score committees finish their testing on correcting the graphic issue that we can release the update. 2ND HARWELL.
HARWELL: IS THERE A WORK AROUND ON THE CLEAR TABLE ISSUE TO SHARE WITH REPS? COLLIER: YES, WILL DO THAT. HAS TO DO WITH JUDGES WITHOUT A CBJ NUMBER.
ANOTHER ISSUE WITH KCBSCORE, EDIT A BOX NUMBER HAVE TO GO INTO EDIT SCORES TO MAKE A CHANGE OR IT WON’T REMOVE THE WRONG NUMBER. COLLIER: THE EDIT WINDOW IS THE WINDOW THAT YOU ARE TO DO THE EDIT IN NOT THE ADD SCORE WINDOW.
HARWELL: WHY IS THE TECHNOLOGY COMMITTEE FIXING HARDWARE? DOESN’T KCBS HAVE A MAINTENANCE CONTRACT WITH PC MANUFACTURER? HARWELL: WE SHOULD BE BUYING HARDWARE WITH CONTRACTS. WEAVER: WHEN HARDWARE WAS UPGRADED, MIKE BUDAI PURCHASED HARDWARE FROM A BOX STORE. COLLIER: MAJOR EXPENSES ARE APPROVED BY BOARD, THIS WAS JUST A HARD DRIVE FOR A LAPTOP. HARWELL: WHEN HARDWARE BREAKS AND I’M ON THE ROAD, THE MAINTENANCE COMPANY WILL HANDLE THE REPAIR PROMPTLY WHEREEVER I AM. JUST ASKING WHAT KCBS DOES.
The technology and KCBScore committeeS have met and we are working on revamping the BBQscore.COM proposal that will benefit both KCBS and BBQscore.COM. Both ORGANIZations have agreed that we can work together to benefit the BBQ community.
Strategic planning goal Tech/KCBScore
Set up judging sign up for the organizer
Get individual cook team historical information on KCBS website
Confirm a business partnership with BBQscore.COM
CLOSED SESSION TO DISCUSS MEETING WITH BBQSCORES.COM AND MMA PROPOSALS.
I ask the board to accept this report.
Mike Peters: No report.
Meeting April 17, 2014
• Sammye Phelps reviewed the membership numbers with the committee. A general discussion occurred in which Sammye answered all of the committee’s questions.
o Assignment – Sammye Phelps will email out to committee members a document she feels will help explain the membership numbers better.
• This idea was referred to the Technology Committee. Richard will keep the committee informed of their progress.
• Richard explained the new KCBS initiative involving feeding 100,000.
Judges, how to get contests
• Richard explained that the CBJ committee was working on ways to get judges more events. More information is forthcoming.
Goals for 2014
1. Increase membership to 20,000 (currently 18,914)
• The committee discussed setting 20,000 members as a goal for this year.
• A discuss occurred at what level the number should be set.
• In the end, the committee decided to set the number at 20,000 but if that number is reached early in the year, the committee will update the goal.
2. Increase lifetime membership to 600 (currently 509)
• The committee discussed setting 600 lifetime members as the goal for this year.
• In the end, the committee decided to set the number at 600.
3. Expand membership services
• The committee discussed options for expanding services offered to the membership. BIGLER: NEED A RENTAL CAR DISCOUNT. PRESTON WILL CHECK STATUS OF NATIONAL RENTAL DISCOUNT.
• The committee would like to offer $100 of services for the $35 membership fee.
• The suggestion was made that the committee should investigate so type of restaurant discount to the membership.
• During further discussions, it was determined that cook teams that own or are affiliated with restaurants could be approached to offer some type of discount to KCBS members. In return, their restaurant will be listed on the web site and in the Bull Sheet.
• Members would present their KCBS card at the restaurant to receive the discount.
o Assignment - All committee members should try to discuss this option with cook team they know that own restaurants and report back to the committee at the next meeting.
April, 2014 Membership Numbers
Number of Total Members= 19,073
Number of New Members= 474
Number of Renewed Members=1880
Number of Non-renewals= 747
Number of members who signed up via the website= 191 (30 were families)
Number of New Members from Judging classes= 226
Number of Lifetime Members = 529
HARWELL: HOW MANY ARE INDIVIDUALS AND HOW MANY ARE FAMILY? PRESTON: WILL FIND OUT AND FORWARD TO BOARD.
Dennis Polson and Randy Bigler: Changes to the article for the Bullsheet has been made. The article will run in July, August, September, and October.
Candy Weaver: The committee met twice during this period. April 15th was the regular committee meeting.
Minutes of April 15, 2014
Attending: Richard Preston, Dennis Polson, Ralph Williams, Candy Weaver, Carolyn Wells and Mark Simmons
Kids' Q Corner in Bullsheet for May. Continue for next issue.
Headway on "Kids' Q in a Box" concept. Guidelines for Kids' Q events, marketing efforts. Richard going to contact Veronica at MMA regarding coupons from partners.
Discussion of Kids’ Q at the American Royal.
Discussion of interactive on-line publication sent to us by Betsy.
Attached is the current cost of advertising in the Bullsheet. Further investigation will occur looking for software to do this.
HARWELL: EXTRA $10 IN COST OF INTERNATIONAL MEMBERS COVERS COST OF BULLSHEET MAILING. WEAVER: MY UNDERSTANDING IS THAT NEW INTERNATIONAL MEMBERS MUST GET ELECTRONIC VERSION OF THE BULLSHEET. MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE WILL EXAMINE COSTS OF INTERNATIONAL MEMBERS AND PRESTON WILL FORWARD TO THE BOARD.
Proposal was made to establish a Yahoo group for organizers like the rep group. This will cost KCBS nothing and achieve the communication goal.
Carolyn and Candy to proceed with this. Karrin will add organizer forms, etc.
Review of Grants in Aid:
Education Committee has been charged to review applications from students. Betsy has recused herself. In past years, we've given to every applicant. This year funds are more limited.
Minutes of April 8, 2014 – Special Meeting Phone Conference
Education Committee review of applicants for Grants in Aid
Attending were Carolyn Wells, Mark Simmons, Richard Preston, Dennis Polson, Ralph Williams and Candy Weaver
After discussion the committee recommends the funding of 42 applicants equally at $1000 each. Three applicants do not meet the standards used for past years in that they are graduate students or an adult returning to college for further training. The Education Committee further recommends that Philanthropy Committee examine standards going forward for future grants in aid.
Education Committee Members: Candy Weaver, Richard Preston, Dennis Polson, Michael McDearman, Betsy Masters, Ralph Williams, Mary O'Connor, Tana Shupe Kelly Cain, Carolyn Wells and Mark Simmons
2014 Goals for this Committee (in no particular order):
1. Expand education content of the Bullsheet to retain new membership who may not be judges, organizers or competitors.
2. Move the Bullsheet in a paperless direction with interactive on-line version. Examine advertiser rates as on-line version have live links for a long period of time after publication.
3. Expand organizer communications and event assistance via new Yahoo group.
4. Effort to expand barbeque to children (Kids' Q corner in the Bullsheet and Kids' Q in a Box), explore ways to reach out to teenagers.
5. Promote Backyard events to expand membership reach.
6. Work towards on-line CBJ continuing education to supplement current CBJ training. See that judge scoresheet is implemented to show judges how they judged in relation to other judges at an event.
Dave Compton: By now each of you should have received an email from Dave Edyburn giving you a link to Dropbox. That should give you access to all of the applications for Charitable Grants and Grants in Aid, enabling you to examine them if you so desire.
Also, a point of disclosure: I totally recused myself from any and all discussion on the application from the Iowa BBQ Society and Dave Londeen did the same for the apps from his kids.
Strategic Planning Committee
Bill Capstack: Our committee met on April 14, April 28, and May 7, 2014.
Our objectives include:
1. KCBS Foundation 501(c)(3)
2. MMA Information Research
3. Executive Director Succession Planning
4. Expanding the Diversity of KCBS Events
1. KCBS Foundation 501(c)(3) Status:
a. The Foundation was established in October 2011
b. The application for 501(c)(3) status will be for educational, charitable, 100,000 meals, museum, oral histories, etc.
c. The entire process may take between 6-12 months for approval
d. We move that we proceed with obtaining 501(c)(3) status with the following provisions:
KCBS is a member of the Foundation
The current duly-elected officers of our board along with the Executive Director serve at the Foundation’s board of directors on a perpetuating basis. TO MIRROR KCBS BOARD.
The Foundation reports to the KCBS board on a quarterly basis
The annual meeting of the Foundation will be the same time as the KCBS annual meeting.
2ND BY COMPTON. PASSES.
2. MMA Information Research:
Research continues with the gathering of information and discussion with MMA regarding past accomplishments and their vision for the future
3. Executive Director Succession Planning:
4. Expanding the Diversity of KCBS Events:
We are going to explore ways to expand on the types of contests we currently have to further engage our membership and our local communities
Our next meeting will be June 2, 2014
Regional Representation Committee
Wayne Lohman: No report. NEXT MEETING 5/17/14
Steve Farrin: No report.
Pitmaster Mike Peters: Certified BBQ Pitmaster Program (CBP). No update. WORK WITH MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE (NEXT MEETING 5/15) TO MOVE THIS FORWARD.
MARK SIMMONS READS THE AGENDA FOR CLOSED SESSION.
BIGLER: I MOVE TO GO TO CLOSED SESSION. 2ND CAPSTACK. PASSES.
AFTER Closed Session (11:05 PM):
HARWELL: I moVE that KCBS Member Larry Griffin be suspended for 6 months from today’s date, write an apologize to KCBS and the offended judge, and take a pre-approved KCBS sensitivity class before returning as a CBJ or Table Captain. After the suspension and written apologize has been completed, said member will be on probation through 2015.
2ND PRESTON. PASSES.
COLLIER: I would like to make a motion that Ralph Weller, IL, Charlie Brinza, MO and STEVE BEDWELL, CT be approved to be KCBS Reps.
2ND BIGLER. PASSES.
COLLIER: I would like to make a motion that following attached proposal for judges sign up and team historical information that we received from MMA be approved so it can be added to the website.
2ND COMPTON. PASSES.
COLLIER: I would like to make a motion to have the BOD approve the following doc that would protect the BOD of any liability of financial loss if we agree to work with American Century financial .
2nd BIGLER. PASSES.
COMPTON: I MOVE THAT THE GRANTS AND GRANTS IN AID BE awarded AS DISCUSSED IN CLOSED SESSION.
2ND POLSON. PASSES.
BIGLER: MOVE TO ADJOURN. 2ND PRESTON. PASSES.