August Board Meeting MinutesSeptember 9, 2015
Kansas City Barbeque Society
Board of Directors’ Meeting Minutes
August 11-12, 2015
Mike Peters: Our August board meeting will begin at 4pm on August 11 at the Airport Hilton, 8801 NW 112th Street, Kansas City, MO. Dinner will be served at some point during the evening. I have been contacted by Sandy Fulton who will attend via phone and Wayne Lohman who will be traveling back from overseas. With this meeting happening half way through our KCBS year and the first time where most members will be together since February, there are items that I believe need to be discussed. I am open to adding to these and would hope to be finished up close to 8pm if possible that evening.
Mike Peters, Randy Bigler, Kim Collier, Candy Weaver, Bill Capstack, Dennis Polson, Mike Hays, Mike Richter, Sandy Fulton (by telephone), Wayne Lohman, Dave Compton
KCBS Office: Carolyn Wells, Karrin Murphy
MMA – Mike McCloud
Recognizing barbeque as America’s cuisine, the mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form.
I accept my duties as a KCBS director to further the KCBS mission so that truth, justice, excellence in barbeque and the American way of life may be strengthened and preserved forever.
Minutes of July Meeting
Candy Weaver: I move to accept minutes of the July 8th meeting. 2ND CAPSTACK. PASSED.
Kim Collier: Please accept the attached report for July financials. 2ND COMPTON. PASSED.
Mike Peters: KCBS Membership Survey – See attached memo from Mike McCloud, MMA.
Emily Dupont: Automatic Approval
REC’D DATES NAME CITY, STATE
New Contests – In House Approval
5/12/2015 9/13/2016 The Outlets@ Lake Elsinore BBQ
State Championship Lake Elsinore, CA
7/16/2015 11/7/2015 Hangout Oyster Cook-off & Craft Beer Weekend
(Competitor's Series) Gulf Shores, AL
7/29/2015 6/10/2016 Elkmond Lions Club Smokin Railroad Street BBQ
Cookoff (Backyard) Elkmont, AL
Existing Contests – In House Approval
7/29/2015 9/25/2015 Aksarben Stock Show & Rodeo Omaha, NE
7/30/2015 1/15/2016 W.E.S.T. Winter Extreme South Tyrol 2016 Rein in Taufers Italy
7/20/2015 3/25/2016 Firelake BBQ Cook Off Shawnee, OK
7/29/2015 4/8/2015 Florida Heritage BBQ Classic Kissimmee, FL
7/20/2015 4/22/2016 Wabash Ribber Fest Mt Carmel, IL
8/5/2015 4/29/2016 Smokin on the Water Liberty, IN
8/5/2015 4/30/2016 Smokin on the Water 2 Liberty, IN
8/5/2015 4/30/2016 Ridgefield Gone Country BBQ Festival Ridgefield, CT
7/13/2015 5/6/2016 George County Firefighters Association
BBQ Challenge Lucedale, MS
7/13/2015 5/13/2016 Boss Hog State Championship Cook-off
(GBC Qualifier) Waynesboro, GA
7/13/2015 5/13/2016 Fire on the Mountain BBQ Cook-off and
Spring Festival (Backyard) Arab, AL
7/13/2015 6/24/2016 Smokin on the Pecos Artesia, NM
Board Approval – Existing Contests
6/25/2015 6/17-6/19/2016 Rock'n Ribfest NH State BBQ Championship Merrimack, NH
ORCHARD PARK, ME IS 94 MILES AWAY – NOT SANCTIONED YET. TABLED FOR SEPTEMBER. MERRIMACK CONTEST IS TIED TO FATHER’S DAY NOT A SPECIFIC CALENDAR WEEKEND.
DISCUSSION REGARDING APPROVING CONTESTS WITH POTENTIAL CONFLICTS BEFORE DECEMBER 1 SIGN UP DATE FOR CURRENT CONTESTS.
RANDY BIGLER IN Mark Simmons ABSENCE: The Sanctioning committee met on Wednesday, July 22. Attending via conference call were Mark Simmons (Chairman), Randy Bigler (Vice-Chair), Carolyn Wells, Mike Peters, Fred Kilgore, Sandy Fulton, and Debbie Yopp.
The committee discussed the sign up for judges for the sanctioned events. The committee requests that some kind of tutorial or e-blast be sent out to the organizers so that our KCBS event organizers are aware of this value added service and will take advantage of it for their upcoming contests. If that requires a motion, then I so move ... MOTION NOT NECESSARY.
From our strategic planning session in February of this year, our report would look like this:
Grow Backyard -- The expansion of backyard contests has consumed a great deal of our year's discussion. We would like to report that the backyard division has expanded and we expect it to continue to grow.
Call organizers ... This was discussed in one of our earliest meetings and it was felt by the committee that there were other ways to communicate with the organizers and that since they were called previously, ... other avenues should be initiated ... e-blasts, etc. (see above)
Research re: BOD approved contests ... I don't remember what this involved so we probably haven't done anything on this. If anyone has a better memory that I, we would welcome your input or direction.
Modify Forms ... Randy and Carol have spent a great deal of time on this process including manuals and forms. We appreciate all of their labor of love to improve the efficiencies of KCBS as it relates to the organizers.
I do want to take a mid year moment and thank our committee and all of our members for their participation and input. Attendance has probably been around 90% by our committee members attending by conference call our meetings.
Randy Bigler: Report on Lynchburg Town Hall Meeting July 18th. See end of agenda for full text. MIKE RICHTER: DO THESE MORE OFTEN IN DIFFERENT PLACES. MINIMUM OF 3 BOARD MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE. A POTENTIAL WEBINAR?
DISCUSSION OF BACK YARD POINTS AND POINTS FOR LESSER NUMBER OF CONTESTS COOKED. SANCTIONING AND RULES TO WORK TOGETHER ON BACK YARD. WHAT IS A BACK YARD TEAM?
MMA Marketing Report
● Total July Sales: $2,960 (US)
● Total July Sales: $675 (Canada)
● 7 - Birthday redemption
● 2 - Cookbooks
● New proposal from Zone West attached
WORK ON 30TH ANNIVERSARY T-SHIRTS ETC.
• Total Page Views for July: 462,086
• Total Unique Users for July: 54,194
• Advertising sold for July: $675
• Cambro Giveaway up and running
• Ongoing update of CBJ’s test page and prohibition of printable content
• “Save the Date” link for banquet added to website
o notifications going to Raye and registrant
• Adding 2016 banquet registration page when content is provided and approved
• Multiple International page updates
250KCBS Meals Mission
• Current Total – 18,173
• Current Number of Events that have signed up: 40
• Continual PR/Social Media Updates
• Eblast to be released week of 8/10/15 to promote
MIKE PETERS: IS THIS ON TRACK? MMA – NO. MIKE HAYS: 8% TOWARDS GOAL.
• 23 local events complete to-date, 3 in July
• 2 regional events complete
• Continual PR/Social Media Updates
• On-going coordination and logistics for 2015 Sam’s Tour
• Sam’s Tour monthly eblast
Great American Cookout Tour
• 12 KCBS events complete to-date, 3 in July
• 22 Retail Stops complete, 5 in July
• On-going coordination and logistics for 2015 GAC Tour
• Social Media, using KCBS, and GAC Facebook and Twitter pages to promote KCBS-related events/promotion
o GAC: Twitter Followers (9,239) / FB Likes (24,490)
o GAC: Twitter posts (2-3) each week / FB posts (2-3) each week
o GAC: July FB & TW impressions — 73,083
o KCBS: Twitter Followers (9,239) / FB Likes (37,057)
o KCBS: (5-7) tweets / (5-7) FB posts each week
Includes posts about sanctioned events
Sam’s Club National BBQ Tour
Articles that mention KCBS, etc.
o KCBS: July FB & TW impressions — 249,626
o KCBS Office to collaborate with MMA on social posts
o Updated news section of KCBS website as needed.
• Need Board decision on McCormick's Seal of Approval products
• Second BBQ test class is occurring at Sam's in Wisconsin
• Zone West recommended for merchandise fulfillment IN CANADA. DISCUSSION REGARDING LICENSING AGREEMENT MMA TO KCBS. ZONE WEST ASI DISTRIBUTOR FOR 20 YEARS. NEED FOR THE SAME THING IN EUROPE. MIKE RICHTER MOVES TO ACCEPT ZONE WEST AS CANADIAN MERCHANDISE DISTRIBUTOR. 2ND COMPTON. PASSED.
Mike Hays: The Marketing committee met Aug. 5th via teleconference. Members present on the call were David Qualls, Ralph Williams, and Larry Voth. Mike Peters was also on the call.
We discussed old business items including modifications to the Membership Application. The Membership Committee is working on the layout of the new form and we will need to provide some stock photos at their direction. The new rules and judging information for ancillary categories should be available on the KCBS website by 8/15. Placement will be behind the Organizers log-in screen. Once the information is in place, we will send out an e-blast to organizers informing them of availability, and where to find the information. We should also include the information as part of the organizers packet.
New business items discussed centered around Member benefits from a marketing perspective. The feeling is that increasing our offering of Member benefits will not only help attract new members but will help increase the retention rate of existing Members. Possible benefits discussed included credit card processing, association insurance rates, and limited edition, branded merchandise available to members only. More work will be done here in the coming months.
We also discussed the creation of a welcome gift for new Members and what that might include, as well as maybe doing something for Members when they renew their membership. Preliminary discussions involved maybe having these things done by a fulfillment company instead of placing the burden on the KCBS office. More to come on this.
Our next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, Sept. 2nd.
Please accept this report.
DISCUSSION ON MEMBERSHIP ISSUES. KIM COLLIER: NEED AUTOMATIC RENEWAL OPTION AVAILABLE. HOW DO REPS HANDLE MEMBERSHIP ISSUES WITH TEAMS AT CONTESTS. SAMMYE LOOKS UP MEMBER NUMBERS AND REPS CONTACT TEAMS AT CONTESTS REGARDING THE NEED TO REJOIN TO GET POINTS.
Wayne Lohman: Our last trip to Italy ended with the Prime Uve contest at the renowned distillery Maschio. This distillery was founded in 1905 and the Maschio products are known to be the best in the field of Grappa. The area of Gaiarine is known as the region for wine lovers as over 300 wine labels are produced locally. I can truly say that good wine pairs well with BBQ cooked "low and slow".
Prime Uve was definitely an "Invitational Contest" as teams and judges had nothing to want or ask for from the organizer. The invitation to attend the event also included 200 food connoisseurs, critics and writers who came to witness an exclusive bbq competition that included 15 top point teams from 8 countries who were judged by 18 KCBS CBJ's. Quite an accomplishment in the reps opinion. DISCUSS ARTICLE PRESENTED BY ORGANIZER. PHOTOS AVAILABLE – RUN IN BULLSHEET?
The Grand Championship of the first International Invitational contest in Europe was won by team BR.BQ. John Clement, the Pitmaster, is a retired U.S. Army soldier who has only cooked for the last two years. John placed in the top 5 in three of the four categories to take home the Grand Championship title and a beautiful glass trophy that stood 3 feet high, in the shape of a Prime Uve glass.
The KCBS Board of Managers BOM) would like to report to the Board that we have discussions for new contests in the following countries for 2016. These events are in addition to the existing events this year which total 36:
Cost Rica Japan
South Africa Cuba
INQUIRY FROM BRAZIL
The BOM estimates that KCBS could sanction 42-47 contests and conduct 7-10 CBJ classes for 2016.
KCBS International Board of Managers
CBJ Committee Report:
Randy Bigler: The updated questions for the KCBS Master Judges Test and the new Continuing Education question have been submitted to MMA to be put on the website. As of last Friday this was still being worked on by MMA.
I would like to make a motion that the recently passed Kale rule be changed from green Kale to curly green Kale. 2ND COMPTON. PASSED.
I would like to make a motion that the KCBS BOD appoint Wayne Lohman as the International Board Manager for the period of 5 years. Beginning immediately and ending 31 Dec 2020. 2ND POLSON. DISCUSSION. AMENDMENT PROPOSED CHANGING DATE FROM 5 TO 6 YEARS. 2ND COMPTON. HOLD FOR FURTHER DISCUSSION IN CLOSED SESSION.
I would like to make a motion that the International Board of Managers appoint an International Board Co-Manager for 6 years. Beginning at their next regularly scheduled meeting and end on 31 Dec 2021. HOLD FOR DISCUSSION IN CLOSED SESSION.
I would also like to inform you that I finally been able to get the KCBS CBJ instructors scheduled for a face to face meeting the last weekend of October 2015. This is the meeting that was BOD approved at our meeting in February. We will be holding the meeting at the same KC Hilton Airport we will be meeting in next week. That is if it is available. DATE IS HALLOWEEN WEEKEND. ALL BUT 2 INSTRUCTORS AVAILABLE. 16 INSTRUCTORS TOTAL AT PRESENT.
MARK SIMMONS JOINS MEETING
Kim Collier: Discuss topic for the Rep Meeting that will be held in January.
KCBS Score Committee/Technology Committee
Dennis Polson: The Technology Committee met August 4th, members present were Dennis Polson Chair, Candy Weaver, Kim Collier, Scott Grinstead, Steve Grinstead, Stephen Smith, Steve Amos, Carolyn Wells, Mike Peters.
Scott and Steve discussed the correction now in process on Score with Team order number in website results. There is no problem in the contest Team order just in the sending to the website. Sometimes there is a problem with ties being entered incorrectly. THIS HAS BEEN CORRECTED. REVISIONS BEING TESTED.
Kim discussed getting the office staff (Karin) to have access to update certain items in KCBS website. This item is in the works with MMA.
A long discussion on what is needed in the KCBS website to make it more efficient for the office.
Scott, Steve, and Stephen will be making a list of suggestion. We will be getting input from office staff as to their needs and wish list. THIS HAS BEEN DONE.
Kim and Karin gave us a update on Judges signup for contest. As of now there are only 2 contest signed up for this service. The word needs to be spread to Organizers of this service.
I move to accept this report.
Mike Peters: Relational Database – tie the KCBS office programs together.
MIKE HAYS: HEAD COOK TEAM NAME CHANGE CHANGES ALL PAST RESULTS TO NEW TEAM NAME.
DISCUSSION REGARDING PARKER PROPOSAL FOR PLACING JUDGES AT TABLES BY SCORING AVERAGE. WEAVER IS THIS BETTER THAN THE SOUTHWEST SHUFFLE SEATING JUDGES BY NUMBER OF CONTESTS JUDGED?
Sandy Fulton: Meeting July 28, 2015. Attendees: Sandy Fulton, Barbara Driscoll, Carolyn Wells, Mike Peters, Chris Peters and Raye Keyes
1. Banquet Sponsor
• Mike McCloud reports that sponsorships are still at the $10,000 level but he has numerous conversations in play.
2. Recognition for Former Champions:
• Karrin is working on the slide show presentation for the former champions.
3. 80’s Party/Lifetime Member Reception
• Basing event on 300 guests.
• Cash Bar will be provided with two drink tickets provided for Lifetime Members
• Special Goody Bags will be presented to Members with Commemorative Wine Glasses. These will need to be ordered by KCBS Office. Price and number of glasses will be incorporated into total cost estimate for this party. Raye has been asked to get a price.
• Lifetime Member Reception will be incorporated into 80’s Party
• DJ $500.
• Photographer $500-$700* (Final pricing will be determined based on time and if used Fri and Sat evenings. Once times are set, Raye will get contact from Photographer with final pricing)
• Decorations - $1,000 (Raye going to work on getting this cost reduced)
• Barbara has asked hotel for cost of sheet cakes celebrating the 30th Anniversary of KCBS which we will substitute for finger food, keeping the price down. This reception will be after dinner therefore the committee does not feel the need for finger food or the expense of it.
SEPTEMBER WILL HAVE A BUDGET AMOUNT FOR ANNIVERSARY PARTY.
• No Charge to Reception for Lifetime Members
• No charge for anyone who is registered for Banquet
• If not attending banquet there will be a nominal charge (to be decided when we have a final cost)
• Are we going to call this event the “80’s Party” or are we going to re-name to something like KCBS 30th Birthday Party, or KCBS 30th Anniversary Party? The final name needs to be determined. Discuss name at next meeting.
4. SILENT AUCTION/DOOR PRIZES
• Chris Peters’ continues to secure items from vendors for the Silent Auction and Door Prizes a for the goody bags for the attendees. Some of the cooks have said they would donate a spot in one of their classes but they would like the proceeds to go to a charity.
• This recommendation was discussed at the July board of Directors meeting and the Board agreed that the revenue generated from the cook classes would be routed through the Foundation to Operation BBQ Relief and Cookers Care.
• Carolyn has received a mock up for the trophies and shared this with Candy. Revisions have been suggested, and Carolyn has not received the final mock up. Candy is working with Kathryn on the final trophy design. DESIGN PRESENTED AT SEPTEMBER MEETING.
6. BBQ CRAWL
• The BBQ Crawl is scheduled for Friday from 10-2 and Saturday from 11-3.
7. OVERALL CONFERENCE PROGRAM
• Barbara is working with the new contact, Chris, at the hotel and will have a preliminary program ready for September. The Annual Meeting/Board of Directors Meeting has been added to the schedule to take place on Friday at 4 PM.
• Barbara received revised space from Chris which does include the additional room for the Thursday evening showing of the John Macros film, and the Anniversary/Birthday Party space. Raye and Barbara will work with Chris to ensure that the space being held is listed correctly, and that we have adequate space for everything that we need.
• Barbara will layer in sessions for Friday and Saturday, based on last year’s programs and present to the committee so that at that next meeting we can begin to discuss the placement/time of each session. Space for the sessions will be assigned based on anticipated attendance and interest and timing. Committee will work together to determine the final program for publication.
8. TRADE SHOW-EXHIBITORS
• MMA will only handle the Corporate Sponsorship Vendors (if they want to participate in the Trade Show. i.e. McCormick, Yeti, Cambro) and will not be handling securing any other exhibitors as we were first informed. Sandy asked Raye to secure the exhibitors with the understanding that any sponsor who wants to be an exhibitor will not be charged. Carolyn will get information on what the “going rates” are to exhibit in a trade show. Committee will decide rates at next meeting.. After we know how many sponsors wish to set up as an exhibitor Raye will secure exhibitors for remaining space, confirming exhibitor rates with all other potential exhibitors. Barbara will work on logistics for set up/space requirements/tear down with exhibitors. MATERIALS READY NOW FOR INTERESTED EXHIBITORS.
• Further discussion on pre-conference registration, signups for tours, crawl, 80’s party etc. will take place in the fall. Per Raye, registration will be very streamlined, and attendees will be able to sign up for what they want to participate in on the website along with the dinner.
SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER BULLSHEET TO HAVE PRE-CONFERENCE REGISTRATION.
• The following Committee Chairs have requested this time for their work sessions: Barbara will set up times and locations. The meetings will be held on Friday and Saturday. Barbara has asked for last year’s attendance at these meetings. Rooms will be set up with round tables, podium and chairs in back of room.
• Marketing Boot Camp 1 hour
• BBQ 101 Ambassadors 1 hour-Rename? (Business of BBQ?)
• Table Captain Class 2 hours
• Legacy/Philanthropy 1 ½ hours
• Rep Meeting 2 hours
• Red Cross Class tbd
• Life Safety Simulator tbd
• Butcher Class/Mike McGonigle 1 hr.
• Rules Committee 2 hrs.
• The Bullsheet (Communications) 1 hr.
• Organizers Roundtable 90 minutes
• Annual Meeting/Board of Directors ???
11. Guest Speaker
• Carolyn is working on this and hopes to have a speaker scheduled within the next couple of months.
12. Special Edition Pin for 30th Anniversary
• Tabled until September T-SHIRT AS WELL.
13. Menu Selection/Food Tasting
• The final menu selection will be held during The Royal. Mike Richter, Barbara and Raye and possibly Bill Capstack (Carolyn will ask Bill) will do the taste testing. Barbara will try to schedule the tasting with the hotel for Thursday, October 1st at 1:30 PM. Barbara will confirm and advise the committee and those attending
14. Program Publication
• Tabled until September when all information is finalized
• All sessions will need a brief written description
• All Committee Chairs have been informed
• Carolyn has secured a room for showing John Marcos film he produced with Pitmasters oversees for Thursday evening.
• Carolyn will do a presentation on the Legacy of KCBS like she did last year, and will include Paul and Artie.
16. Pre-Registration to help with planning
• Committee will determine if there will be any charge for any events once final pricing is determined. Registration will be streamlined and include the ability for attendees to sign up for various events (80’s Party, BBQ Crawl, Film Showing etc.) as well as register for the conference on the website
17. Banquet announcement in Bullsheet
• Karrin will place ad in Bullsheet in August for Banquet as ‘Date to Remember’.
• Sessions will be listed (but not the dates/times) in the September issue of the Bull Sheet.
18. New addition to Program
• Candy Weaver and her committee is now taking over the tentative titled program ‘Smoked Chicken Soup for the BBQ Soul.
19. 2017 & 2018 Banquet
• Mike Peters suggested that we begin working on RFP’s for 2017 & 2018 Banquet/Conference- Tabled to next meeting
Next Committee meeting will take place Tuesday August 25 at 10AM CST.
Mike Richter: The membership Committee met Wednesday July 15th.
Several topics were discussed including:
Coupon books for members
How do we retain members
Surveying non renewals
Membership booths at contests
Requiring competitors to be KCBS members
Creating another TOY series
Welcome kit for new and renewing members
The next meeting is Wednesday, August 19th at 8 p.m. Eastern
Below are the Membership numbers for July:
Number of Total Members = 20,288
Number of New Members = 580
Number of Renewed Members = 1009
Number of Non-renewals = 678
Number of members who signed up via the website = 253 (35 were families)
Number of New Members from Judging classes = 261
Number of Lifetime Members = 772
Number of International Members = 832
Number of Countries represented by KCBS Members = 29
CANDY WEAVER: WHAT ABOUT ONLINE CATEGORY DETAILS. START WITH ADDING TEAM OVERALL RESULTS TO TEAM DETAIL SHEET BEFORE THIS CAN BE DONE. LONG RANGE PROJECT. WHAT ABOUT GIVING FULL RESULTS TO TEAMS THAT ARE KCBS MEMBERS ONLY. TEAM DETAIL TO NON-MEMBERS.
Mike Richter: The Rules Committee met July 13th. Motions from the previous BOD meeting were discussed.
The committee discussed the challenges of establishing a listing of approved turn in containers and will continue to research.
The committee would like the Sanctioning Committee to require organizers to advise teams in advance (contest application) if they will not be able to leave after awards. Just like if the turn in times are different than the standard KCBS times.
Next meeting is Monday, August 10th at 8 p.m. Eastern
Sandy Fulton: No July meeting.
Candy Weaver: There was no meeting of the committee in July. Review and minor corrections of Bullsheet copy happened before it went to press. Karrin Murphy set up as user to online edition of the Bullsheet. She successfully loaded the file and managed the conversion process. Link to the new issue was posted at KCBS News and the links were sent to MMA for the membership e-blast.
Strategic Planning Committee
Bill Capstack: Our committee members are Bill Capstack (Chairman), Paul Kirk, Mark Simmons, Dennis Polson, Bruce Bubacz, Joe Otto, Mike Peters (President) and Carolyn Wells (Executive Director)
Our Committee met on July 20th and August 3rd.
1. Permanent Home for KCBS:
The board members will be in Kansas City for this meeting and will tour the proposed location, along with a detailed briefing by DTZ and Clockwork. MEET AT 8:00 AM 8/12 TO TOUR BUILDING AND SEE PROPOSAL. CLOSED SESSION AFTER TOUR AND PRESENTATION.
2. Finalize the job requirements and transition agreement for the Executive Director: A preliminary draft of the transition agreement is being prepared and we intend on having a complete agreement ready for board approval not later than the November board meeting.
3. Explore additional ways to expand participation at events:
The first Competitor’s Series event is on track for October 2, 2015 at UMKC.
4. KCBS History:
Data is being collected on a continuing basis.
5. Mid-Year Report on Goals for 2015:
a. Review Prior Board Decisions: Each board member was provided with the converted (Excel to Word) document listing every board action from 2/18/1987 through 12/31/2014 along with instructions on how to extract the data. This document has proven useful in discovering the history of any particular issues, such as TOY, banquets, CBJ’s, etc. Our desire is that going forward that all future actions by the board since 2014 will be added to this document.
b. Permanent Home (Maybe Temporary): The search for a permanent building and approval by the board is nearing its completion stages (Paragraph 1 above). Design and build-out to follow.
c. Job Requirements Executive Director: A comprehensive work flow analysis has been completed. An updated job description is being developed with the cooperation of Axcet HR. The transition agreement status is shown in paragraph 2 above.
d. Finalize Ancillary Category Standards: The KCBS ancillary guidelines for oysters, hamburgers, steak, sausage, desserts and vegetables have been approved.
e. Increase Participation at KCBS Events: The first collegiate-level Competitors Series will be held in October. Tailgating standards have been approved and the first tailgating competition will be held at the American Royal in October.
WAYNE LOHMAN: NEW FOOD GROUP – CRAWFISH. CAPSTACK: ADD TO SEAFOOD.
Philanthropy Committee Report
Dave Compton: Our committee is still evaluating the criteria for the Grants in Aid and the Charitable Grants programs. We are looking at what other charities are requiring and how that relates to our program. We intend to bring these changes to the Board next month for approval.
We are also looking to see what we can do to drive donations to the KCBS Foundation by one-time, scheduled or bequest payments. I believe that the checks went out to the Grant in Aid recipients last week from the Foundation's account, that should start to make people aware of it.
I ask that the Board accept this report.
Polson: 8-6-2015 Recognizing Reps Motion
We give recognition to Cooks with 180 and 700 pins, and at the banquet with TOY awards. The Judges move from CBJ to MCBJ, and 100 plus pins. We have set up an award for Contests having 25 or more contests.
The glue between KCBS, Cooks, Judges, Organizers, and the general public are the Reps.
During the Rep meeting at the 2016 Conference the 5 and 10 year awards will be passed out.
During the Banquet all plaques will be awarded on stage.
In the future the Rep Chair will keep a record of all Reps, the year they started and the year left the Rep Core.
I move the Rep recognition Award be divided into 2 parts. 2ND COMPTON. AMENDED CHANGING RECOGNITION TO SERVICE. 2ND RICHTER. PASSED.
First part will be for past Reps that are no longer a Rep but gave their time to serve KCBS.
Past Reps may or may not be current KCBS members.
Past Reps were in good standing during and upon retiring from the Rep Core.
Recognition will be based on years 5 and 10 with a certificate with the KCBS logo for a background.
Words on the award -- Recognition for service as a KCBS Rep for ______ years.
A plaque for the 15, 20, 25, and 30 years.
Second part will be for current Reps giving their time to serve KCBS.
Current Reps must be in good standing as a KCBS Member and KCBS Rep.
Recognition will be based on years 5 and 10 with a certificate with the KCBS logo for the background.
Words on the award – Recognition for service as a KCBS Rep for ______ years.
A plaque for the 15, 20, 25, and 30 years.
Weaver: I move that any KCBS contest cooking the four KCBS meats as described in Rule 10, the results of the event count for team of the year points. 2ND BIGLER. DISCUSSION DOES THIS OPEN UP COOKING THE FOUR KCBS MEATS IN ANY WAY OR VOID THE REST OF THE RULES? WEAVER DISCUSSES INTENTION WITH THE MOTION. MIKE RICHTER AND CANDY WEAVER TO WORK ON THIS MOTION. TABLED FOR SEPTEMBER.
Closed Session Agenda:
Carolyn Wells: Review of proposed Seal of Approval
Bill Capstack: Permanent home for KCBS. Continued discussion regarding the proposed location along with motions(s).
Mike Peters: MMA time and projects, utilizing CBJ data, scoring system discussion, CONTEST SANCTIONING CHANGE.
8/11/2015 8:55 BACK TO OPEN SESSION
Weaver: I move that KCBS issue a seal of approval to McCormick for their rubs for the four KCBS meats. 2ND CAPSTACK. PASSED.
I motion that the KCBS BOD appoint Wayne Lohman as the International Board Manager for a period of 5 years. Beginning immediately and ending 31 Dec 2020. 2nd POLSON. DISCUSSION: AMENDMENT PROPOSED CHANGING THE TIME PERIOD FROM 5 TO 6 YEARS AND ENDING 31 DEC 2021. AMENDMENT PASSED AND MOTION PASSED AS AMENDED. 2ND COMPTON. PASSED.
I would like to make a motion that the International Board of Managers appoint an International Board Co-Manager for 6 years. Beginning at their next regularly scheduled meeting and end on 31 Dec 2021. 2ND CAPSTACK. PASSED.
CANDY WEAVER MOVES TO SUSPEND THE MEETING UNTIL 8/12. 2ND HAYS. PASSED.
RESUME OPEN SESSION 11:46 8/12/2015
BILL CAPSTACK: I MOVE TO PURCHASE AND RENOVATE THE REAL ESTATE AT 2519 MADISON AVENUE, KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI FOR NEW KCBS LOCATION. 2ND LOHMAN. ROLL CALL VOTE: AYES: BIGLER, COLLIER, WEAVER, CAPSTACK, COMPTON, POLSON, HAYS, RICHTER, LOHMAN. NAYS: NONE. MOTION PASSED.
MIKE HAYS MOVE TO ADJOURN. 2ND COLLIER. PASSED.