September Board Meeting MinutesOctober 14, 2015
Kansas City Barbeque Society
Board of Directors’ Meeting Minutes
September 9, 2015
Mike Peters, Randy Bigler, Kim Collier, Candy Weaver, Bill Capstack, Dennis Polson, Mike Hays, Mike Richter, Sandy Fulton, Mark Simmons, Dave Compton
KCBS Office: Carolyn Wells, Karrin Murphy, Emily Dupont
MMA – Mike McCloud
Recognizing barbeque as America’s cuisine, the mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form.
I accept my duties as a KCBS director to further the KCBS mission so that truth, justice, excellence in barbeque and the American way of life may be strengthened and preserved forever.
Minutes of August Meeting
Candy Weaver: I move to accept minutes of the August meeting. 2ND RICHTER. PASSED
Kim Collier: Please accept the attached report for August financials. 2ND CAPSTACK. PASSED
Mike Peters: IT’S BEEN A BUSY MONTH. THANKS TO ALL DIRECTORS WHO COULD ATTEND THE AUGUST MEETING IN KANSAS CITY. EVERYONE’S HARD WORK IS APPRECIATED. LET’S KEEP COMMITTEES ON TRACK AND CLOSE OUT THE YEAR STRONG.
Emily Dupont: Automatic Approval
REC’D DATES NAME CITY, STATE
New Contests – In House Approval
8/18/2015 10/14/2015 Holmes Drywall BBQ Cookoff 2015
(BACKYARD-INVITATIONAL) Kansas City, MO
8/10/2015 11/7/2015 Flags are Flyin Winder, GA
8/14/2015 11/14/2015 Indio California State BBQ Championship Indio, CA
Existing Contests – In House Approval
8/24/2015 12/12/2015 2015 Downtown Barbecue Throwdown Las Vegas, NV
8/27/2015 12/12/2015 King of the Smoker Invitational La Quinta, CA
8/31/2015 4/23/2016 Rock n' Ribs BBQ Festival Springfield, MO
8/31/2015 4/30/2016 The G-Town Smokin' Showdown Garnett, KS
8/6/2015 4/30/2016 Masters in May Appleton, WI
8/6/2015 5/1/2016 Masters in May- The Classic Appleton, WI
8/24/2015 5/15/2016 Tony Stone Low & Slow BBQ Competition Hoofddorp, Netherlands
8/14/2015 5/21/2016 BBQ 4 ASTOP Fond du Lac, WI
8/19/2015 6/4/2016 Vuur en Vlees (Fire and Meat) Deurne, Netherlands
8/18/2015 6/4/2016 Kelley Wilson Memorial BBQ Competition (KWBBQ) Kansas City, MO
8/18/2015 6/11/2016 Marietta River City BBQ Marietta, OH
8/10/2015 6/25/2016 Leadville BBQ and Brew Festival Leadville, CO
8/25/2015 7/1/2016 Back to Mayberry Whiting , IA
8/25/2015 7/8/2016 SC Festival of Discovery Greenwood, SC
8/20/2015 8/7/2016 Fatboys Classic-Canadian BBQ Championships Ottawa, ON
8/31/2015 8/27/2016 9th Annual Big Island BBQ Albert Lea, MN
8/24/2015 10/1/2016 Que & Cruz Louisa, VA
New Contests - Board Approval
8/11/2015 3/5/2016 Gwinnett BBW & Music Festival Lawrenceville, GA
Conflict: Auburn, AL – 145 miles. Auburn was in May for 2015
BIGLER MOVES TO ACCEPT CONTEST. 2ND WEAVER. PASSED.
8/25/2015 7/2/2016 Made in NY Festival BBQ Cookoff Sackets Harbor, NY
Conflict: Lake Placid, NY -- 138 miles. This contest has been 1st Saturday of July since 2006.
WEAVER MOVES TO TABLE THIS APPROVAL UNTIL DECEMBER MEETING AFTER DECEMBER 1 DEADLINE FOR LAKE PLACID SUBMISSION. 2ND HAYS. PASSED.
Board Approval – Existing Contests
6/25/2015 6/17-6/19/2016 Rock'n Ribfest NH State BBQ Championship Merrimack, NH
Conflict: Waiting until Dec. 1st to see if Old Orchard Beach, ME signs up for this weekend.
HAVE DISCUSSED CONTEST WITH THE ORCHARD BEACH ORGANIZER. NO CHANGE.
Mark Simmons: The Sanctioning Committee met on Wednesday, August 26, 2015 at 7:00 p.m. by conference call. Attending were the following: Carolyn Wells (Executive Director), Mark Simmons (Chairman), Randy Bigler (Vice-Chair), Fred Kilgore (Alabama), Sandy Fulton (Board Member, Maryland), Debbie Yopp (California).
Our next scheduled meeting will be Wednesday, September 23, 2015.
We currently have two contests signed up to use the judging program.
If an organizer wants to use the scoring program, they are encouraged to call Emily in the KCBS office.
Karrin will put something in the next month’s Bullsheet to notify all the organizers how to use the judging sign up program as a valued added service.
There is a 90 minute organizer roundtable scheduled for the Annual Meeting
MMA Marketing Report
● Total August Sales: $2,565 (US)
● 11 - Birthday redemption
● 1 - Cookbooks
• Total Page Views for August: 48,582
• Total Unique Users for August: 466,901
• Time per Visit: 4:37
• Advertising sold for August: $550
• Traeger Royal Battle Live – PETERS: WHAT IS THIS? NO PRIOR INFORMATION. MCCLOUD: ADDED MONEY EVENT FOR AMERICAN ROYAL. DIGITAL ADVERTISING WITH KCBS.
• Ongoing prohibition of printable content: CBJ manual
• 2016 Banquet Save the Date and Registration live this month
• International page – “Breaking News” section in progress
250KCBS Meals Mission
• Current Total – 21,725 Meals Served
• Current Number of Events that have signed up: 47 (LY: 33)
• Continual PR/Social Media Updates
• Eblast to be released week of 9/21 to promote participation
WEAVER: WE ARE LAGGING BEHIND WHERE WE WERE LAST YEAR. WILL WE CATCH UP? MCCLOUD: WILL STEP UP EFFORTS AND WORK HARDER TO GET MORE ORGANIZERS ON BOARD. SEVERAL BIG EVENTS WILL MOVE UP NUMBERS.
• 26 local events complete
• 2 regional events complete
• Continual PR/Social Media Updates
• On-going coordination and logistics for 2015 Sam’s Tour
• Sam’s Tour monthly eblast
Great American Cookout Tour
• 13 KCBS events complete to-date, 2 in August
• 26 Retail Stops complete, 5 in August
• On-going coordination and logistics for 2015 GAC Tour
• Social Media, using KCBS, and GAC Facebook and Twitter pages to promote KCBS-related events/promotion
o GAC: Twitter Followers (5,572) / FB Likes (24,460)
o GAC: August FB & TW impressions — 82,980
o KCBS: Twitter Followers (9,484) / FB Likes (37,652)
o KCBS: August FB & TW impressions — 448,195
o Updated news section of KCBS as necessary with Sam’s Club Tour recaps,
o Volunteer sign-up for KCBS Banquet
o Master CBJ Registration for Sam’s Championship
o Draw for The Jack post to Facebook
o Sent Email version of Bullsheet on Aug. 1
o Sent 250KCBS Meals Mission Eblast to Competition Coordinators
• KCBS Brand Policing
• Sam’s Tailgate Program Support – OPPORTUNITY FOR BBQ TEAMS IN 10 VENUES FOR TV SEGMENTS.
• 30th Anniversary Logo under review
Mike Hays: The Marketing Committee met via teleconference September 2nd. We confirmed that the rules and judging criteria for ancillary categories is now in place on the KCBS website behind the Organizers login page. An e-blast will be sent out to organizers next week to inform them of the new information and to encourage them to consider adding ancillary categories to their contests.
We also reviewed 2 proposals from companies for member benefits. After our discussion, we are requesting additional information on both proposals and are targeting the October Board meeting for presenting these proposals to the Board. We are also awaiting information from a fulfillment company on the possible creation of a welcome kit for new KCBS members. We have discussed content and are looking for information on costs and logistics of how the fullfillment would take place.
I ask the Board to accept this report.
CAPSTACK: DID WE RECEIVE THE LIST OF MMA PRIORITIES? YES, SENT 9/4.
POLSON: WHAT IS THE ORGANIZER LOGIN PAGE? ORGANIZERS RECEIVE AN ID FROM THE OFFICE TO LOGIN. REP LOGIN PAGE WILL WORK THE SAME WAY. THIS WILL REPLACE YAHOO GROUPS CURRENTLY USED.
Wayne Lohman: The IOTeam August trip took the Lohmans to Gothenburg, Sweden for a CBJ class and contest known as “Smoke in the North”. Thomas and Jenny Frohlich have organized a model contest that is a KCBS rep’s dream. We arrived on site Wednesday evening , just in time to prepare for a CBJ class that had 34 new judges from 6 countries. The following day 34 teams parked in the contest site for a weekend of fun and competition cooking which can only be described as a “wonderful KCBS contest”. Miss Piggy’s UK walked away with a stunning Grand Championship score of 704.5944. The whole Fröhlich family, their friends, and volunteers have a lot to be proud of with this contest.
Monday morning the Lohmans left Gothenburg and traveled to Grebbestad, Sweden to meet with the President of the Swedish Oyster Academy. The town’s history dates back to the 1500 and is the seaside village of 1800 inhabitants. In the summer the village population grows 700% and sponsors the Nordic Championship Oyster Opening Contest. KCBS discussed the possibility of sanctioning an Oyster and Crawfish contest in 2016 with Thomas and Jenny Fröhlich as organizers….more details to come. * We received confirmation today, on August 26, the Swedish Oyster Board voted to sanction an Oyster and Crawfish Contest in early 2016 with Thomas and Jenny Fröhlich as organizers.
Our trip ended in Oslo, Norway for our first KCBS BBQ Event. Dag Odengaard and his partner, Christian Berge sponsored a perfect CBJ class with 41 CBJ attendees from 8 countries. Dag is the first and only BBQ Distributor in Norway while his wife Angela owns the only BBQ restaurant in the country. We had 36 students in the CBJ class who trained in one of the most impressive BBQ settings that we have been privileged to teach in. Dag and Christian are already working on our first Norwegian contest in August, 2016.
The IOTeam leaves for London for the Grill Stock BBQ Contest in early September. Two CBJ classes have been schedule with another contest to follow the next weekend in Prague, Czech Republic. Information on this trip will be reported in October.
CBJ Committee Report:
Randy Bigler: The CBJ Committee met on Tuesday Aug 25, 2015. Discussion was held on how we could track our members when they work as volunteers or table captains. We decided we would wait until we start using the tracking system we have on judges to see what information we get from that report. Discussion was also held on requiring people to become a CBJ before becoming a CTC. This discussion didn't go any further on changing rules to require this because we do not want to discourage folks from becoming members and wanting to get into our great hobby. The new Continuing Education Review questions are now online and the updated MCBJ questions are also now available to the people going for their MCBJ.
RICHTER: DISCUSSION REGARDING COMPUTER SYSTEMS AND DATA BASE NEEDS. HOLD UNTIL TECH COMMITTEE REPORT.
PETERS: DISCUSSION WITH BBQSCORES.COM. WORKING WITH WILL CLEAVER TO DEAL WITH JUDGE DATA FROM CONTESTS.
BIGLER: QUESTION TO FULTON & RICHTER: ARE WE STILL ON HOLD FOR MID-ATLANTIC CBJ CLASSES? FULTON – TOO MANY JUDGES APPLYING TO SIT NOW.
Kim Collier: I would like to make a motion to accept new KCBS Reps.
I would like to make a motion to accept a new Rep in training.
DISCUSSION IN CLOSED SESSION.
KCBS Score Committee/Technology Committee
Dennis Polson: Meeting held 9-1-15
Scott and Steve Ginstead gave a update on Score 12.05.02 in testing.
Candy Weaver used at contest this past weekend and no problems.
The new program will be sent to Reps.
Discussion on a Team changing their team name but keeping the head Cook number as to the history of the old Team name. This is a MMA issue to handle.
Discussion on if Score can make a mistake on listing the same table more than once in categories. The answer is no. FURTHER DISCUSSION OF SITUATION IN CLOSED SESSION
Each committee member is making a wish list of future improvements for Score and the KCBS website. At our next meeting we will refine the list and turn it over to Marketing.
The Office staff has already give the Committee their wish list. I fell the Office staff should be at the forefront in Tech. needs.
Sandy Fulton: Minutes for Banquet Meeting August 25, 2015
Attendees: Sandy Fulton, Barbara Driscoll, Carolyn Wells, Mike Peters, Chris Peters and Raye Keyes
1. Banquet Sponsor
• Mike McCloud reports that sponsorships are still at the $10,000 level but that after October he will be able to secure more sponsorships.
2. Recognition for Former Champions:
Karrin is working on the slide show presentation for the former champions.
3. Silent Auction/Door Prizes
• Chris Peters’ continues to secure items from vendors for the Silent Auction and Door Prizes a for the goody bags for the attendees. Some of the cooks have said they would donate a spot in one of their classes but they would like the proceeds to go to a charity. Mike has sent out a certificate for class auctions for suggestions/approval.
• This recommendation was discussed at the July board of Directors meeting and the Board agreed that the revenue generated from the cook classes would be routed through the Tax Foundation to Operation BBQ Relief and Cookers Care.
• Sandy will follow up with Candy to see if a final mock up of the trophies has been approved.
5. Special Edition Pin for 30th Anniversary
• Currently in house staff at KCBS is working on design for 30th Anniversary Pin. Plans are for committee to have designs to review by next month.
• Pre registration for the sessions and events will be online along with Awards Banquet.
• Committee will determine if there will be any fees for any activities, as well as list the fee for the BBQ Crawl on the Online Registration Form.
• Raye is working with Stephanie from MMA on the online registration.
• Life Simulator Trailer sign up will be on site at registration. It will not be online.
7. BBQ Crawl
• The BBQ Crawl will be scheduled for Friday from 11-3. No Saturday BBQ Crawl will be offered. Sign up for this will be on line.
8. Key Note Speaker
Carolyn is working on securing Dave Anderson as our keynote speaker. Tentatively scheduling him for 9 AM on Friday but Carolyn will confirm the best time for him. It will be a motivational speech to kick off a great 30th Anniversary Conference
9. Overall Conference Program
• Barbara has layered in sessions for Friday and Saturday, based on last year’s programs. A preliminary agenda has been sent to the committee. Barbara will make changes as presented by Raye and will distribute a revised agenda within the next few days. The Committee will work together to determine the final program for publication.
• Also a Timeline for the banquet has been created and will be updated and sent to committee.
• Sandy will contact each moderator for a Brief description of their sessions to be submitted to Raye no later than Sept 8th for publication in the October Bullsheet. Deadline for submissions to the Bullsheet is September 11th.
• Final Timeline and Schedule to be shared with Mike Peters and Carolyn before publishing in Bullsheet.
10. Trade Show/Exhibiors
• MMA will only handle the Corporate Sponsorship Vendors (if they want to participate in the Trade Show. i.e. McCormick, Yeti, Cambro) and will not be handling securing any other exhibitors as we were first informed.
• Raye has currently secured two exhibitors. Space is 10x10 for the cost of $500. She is continuing to work on securing exhibitors. Barbara will work on logistics for set up/space requirements/tear down with exhibitors.
• Life Safety Simulator Trailer will be set up in an approved area of the hotel, offering 20 minute walk trough’s during the conference. The times will be Friday 1-4PM, at 30 minute intervals, with sign up for this on site at registration. 8-10 people per walk through. Saturday hours TBA
11. 80’s Groove & Schmooze Party/Lifetime Member Reception
• Cash Bar will be provided with two drink tickets provided for Lifetime Members
• Lifetime Members will receive Commemorative Wine Glasses at special table at the event. KCBS Office will order.
• DJ $450.
• Photographer and photo booth $550 for Friday 8-11PM Saturday 6 – 10PM for Banquet is $125 per hour
• Decorations - $600
• Cakes will be provided by the hotel with the approximate cost as follows:
The Sheet Cakes will feed 30 people each and cost $45.00/cake with a simple decoration. For the party of 300, you would need 10 cakes, totaling $450.00 minus 10% discount, plus tax & 23% service charge
• No Charge to Reception for Lifetime Members
• No charge for anyone who is registered for Banquet
• Approximate cost of Party will be in the $2,000 range. For those not attending banquet the committee needs to decide on a ticket cost.
At each session a Board of Directors member will introduce the moderator. After the introduction the Board Member will go to the back of the room to ensure moderator stays on allotted time. A schedule for this will be developed, and the board members will be advised in advance so they can prepare an introduction.
John Marcos Film Thursday Evening
BBQ Crawl Friday Afternoon
Groove & Schmooze Party Friday Evening
Life Safety Simulator Friday 1-4 PM (half hour intervals)
Awards Banquet Saturday Evening
Marketing Boot Camp 1 hour
Business of BBQ 1 hour
Table Captain Class 2 hours
Legacy/Philanthropy 1 ½ hours
Rep Meeting 2 hours
Butcher Class / Mike McGonigle 1 hr.
Rules Committee 2 hrs.
The Bullsheet (Communications) 1 hr.
Organizers Roundtable 90 minutes
Annual Meeting/Board of Directors 4 PM – Friday
13. New addition to Program
• Candy Weaver and her committee is now taking over the tentative titled program ‘Smoked Chicken Soup for the BBQ Soul.
14. Menu Selection/Food Tasting
• The final menu selection will be held October 1st at 1:30PM. Mike Richter, Barbara, Raye and Bill Capstack will attend the taste tasting and report final menu selections to the committee.
15. Program Publication
• Final Program Deadline for publication will be ready by September 11, 2015.
16. Banquet announcement in Bullsheet
• Karrin has placed an ad that Raye created announcing the Banquet in the September issue.
• Dates/Times of sessions will be listed in the October Bullsheet.
17. 2017 & 2018 Banquet
• RFP for 2017 Banquet to be held in Atlanta has been completed. Raye will begin working on the RFP for 2018 in Kansas City.
Next Committee meeting will take place Tuesday September 29, 2015 at 10AM CST.
WEAVER: ON NUMBER 11, WILL THE LIFETIME MEMBER RECEPTION BE MISSED? IS THERE SOME WAY TO RECOGNIZE LIFETIME MEMBERS AT THE 80s PARTY? COMMITTEE WILL EXAMINE.
WEAVER: I WILL NEED HELP ON ITEM NUMBER 13, NO RESPONSE FROM MEMBERSHIP ON THIS EFFORT. SUGGESION TO POST ON KCBS FACEBOOK PAGE.
Mike Richter: Meeting was held August 19th. There is nothing for the Board other than the August membership numbers (below). The next meeting is September 16th a 8 p.m. Eastern.
Below are the numbers for August 2015
Number of Total Members = 20,209
Number of New Members = 516
Number of Renewed Members = 795
Number of Non-renewals = 904
Number of members who signed up via the website = 250 (21 were families)
Number of New Members from Judging classes = 218
Number of Lifetime Members = 791
Number of International Members = 902
Number of Countries represented by KCBS Members = 30 – New Member in Portugal
Mike Richter: The Rules Committee met August 10th. There is nothing for the Board's attention at this time. The next meeting is September 14th at 8 p.m. Eastern.
Sandy Fulton: The article notifying KCBS Members of the nominations of Board Members was again in the September issue of the Bullsheet. The article directs members to the email addresses to submit their nominations when nominations are open.
Candy Weaver: The Communications Committee meet by phone on August 18th at 7 pm. Attending on the call were Carolyn Wells, Michael McDearman, Ralph Williams, Karrin Murphy and Candy Weaver.
We discussed the Bullsheet: Kid's Que Corner and need for more Que Tips, Ask KCBS (we developed September column at this meeting). Need for helping hands stories for the banquet and lack of response from one advert in the prior issue of the Bullsheet. We hope for member response with the 2nd month.
Asked Karrin regarding her exploration of eblast methods to reach the KCBS membership. This is currently on hold.
Also the start of a rep training script was shared. Michael said he would shoot some video as possible at upcoming contests.
Next meeting is September 15th.
Strategic Planning Committee
Bill Capstack: Our committee members are Bill Capstack (Chairman), Paul Kirk, Mark Simmons, Dennis Polson, Bruce Bubacz, Joe Otto, Mike Peters (President) and Carolyn Wells (Executive Director)
Our Committee met on August 17, 2015
1. Permanent Home for KCBS:
The contract negotiations are nearing completion and should be signed in the near future.
CLOSED SESSION: Discussion regarding any new updates.
2. Finalize the job requirements and transition agreement for the Executive Director: Work in progress.
3. Explore additional ways to expand participation at events:
The first Collegiate-Level Competitor’s Series event will be October 2, 2015 at UMKC.
The ancillary category guidelines for Oysters, Steaks, Sausage, Desserts, Vegetables or Vegetarian, and Hamburgers are published under the Organizers tab on the KCBS website.
4. KCBS History:
Data is being collected on a continuing basis.
We ask the board to accept our report.
Philanthropy Committee Report
Dave Compton: The committee is working on developing a policy and procedures handbook for managing the scholarship program.
This past year we put the application process online. This greatly improved the process and reduced the amount of staff time required to compile and process the application materials. We are now working on some improvements to further streamline the process. We'll share the prototype at a future meeting.
We move that the following changes be approved for the Philanthropic programs below:
1. The committee recommends renaming the Grants in Aid Program to the KCBS Scholarships.
Rationale: The phrase grants in aid is not a common term. A new name will more clearly communicate this opportunity to parents and students.
2. Clarify that scholarship awards will be funded at the $500 or $1000 level.
Rationale: The current description does not reveal the size of the awards. Publicizing the amount of the scholarships should encourage students to complete an application.
3. Raise the minimum GPA to a 2.5 (a C+ on a 4 point scale).
Rationale: With all of the great students out there should we really be rewarding mediocre grades? If the student really wants to further their education they would be working on those grades.
4. Approve the timelines for the following award programs for 2016:
Gary Wells KCBS Sportsmanship Award
Carolyn Wells Ambassador Award
With the checks to go out on or about August 15, 2016 after receiving proof of enrollment.
I ask that the Board to authorize placing ads online and in the BullSheet for the months of October 2015 through March 2016.
Closed Session Agenda:
Kim Collier: Rep and Rep in Training Recommendations
Discussion of KCBScore issues.
Bill Capstack: Building update.
Dave Compton: Charitable Grants program.
CAPSTACK MOVES TO GO TO CLOSED SESSION. 2ND HAYS. PASSED.
AFTER CLOSED SESSION:
Kim Collier: I would like to make a motion that Michelle and Kevin Rose be accepted as KCBS Rep. 2ND BIGLER. PASSED.
I would like to make a motion that Mark Collier be accepted in Rep in training program. 2ND SIMMONS. PASSED.
COLLIER: MOTION TO ADJOURN. 2ND HAYS. PASSED.