The Kansas City Barbeque Society (KCBS) is pleased to sponsor a college scholarship program.
The 2020 KCBS Scholarship program is open to graduating High School seniors and continuing College students who meet the following criteria:
• A parent must be a member in good standing of KCBS for at least the past three (3) years [since at least April 1, 2017].
• The student must have carried a minimum grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in the last school year.
• The student can show evidence of their good character by being involved in public service or extra-curricular activities.
• The student shall obtain two letters of recommendation. One letter must be from a school official (such as a guidance counselor, /advisor, teacher, or professor). The other letter may be from an employer, religious leader, volunteer supervisor, or other individual (who is not a family member or relative) that can attest to your character and community contributions.
• Scholarships may only be used to support undergraduate post-secondary education. Awards are not made for graduate education.
The size of the awards will be determined based on funding availability and the number of applicants.
Applications must be received by 11:59 pm on March 31, 2020. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Students interested in applying for a KCBS Scholarship must complete the KCBS Scholarship Online Application that includes (1) Student contact information, (2) KCBS parent information (3) Two essay questions, (4) Transcript, and (5) Two letters of recommendation. The online application must be fully completed in order to be submitted (partial applications cannot be saved or retrieved). Students should gather all required items (see 1-4 above) and prepare the materials prior to beginning the application. The application must be submitted in English.
Each student is asked to submit their responses (up to 250 words) to two essay questions: (a) At this point in your life, what are your career plans and life goals? (b) Describe your involvement in the BBQ arena and any major lessons learned from your involvement.
In order for your application to be considered complete, two letter(s) of recommendation must be submitted. One letter must be from a school guidance counselor/advisor, teacher, or other school official. The other letter may be from an employer, religious leader, or other individual who can attest to your character and community contributions. Note: Letters submitted by the students or parents will not be accepted.
Please give the following URL to your letter writers and ask that they upload their letter of recommendation no later than March 31, 2020.
KCBS Letters of Recommendation
Click here to submit a letter of recommendation
Please note that the KCBS Philanthropy Committee will evaluate each application before any Scholarships are awarded. Extra consideration may be given to students entering culinary arts programs, students who have done volunteer work in their community (civic, church or other non-profit organizations like Boy/Girl Scouts, etc.), students who have mentored or tutored persons with disabilities, etc.
The KCBS Board of Directors will make the awards. All decisions are final.
Each applicant will be notified of the status of their application by July 1, 2020. Students selected for a KCBS Scholarship Award will be required to submit proof of enrollment.
Students selected to receive a KCBS Scholarship will receive a check in late August 2020.
Questions about the KCBS Scholarship awards can be emailed here.