Jason Hardee - Conway, SC
1. Please describe the skills you posses (which you believe are stronger than the other candidates) which would make you an asset as a board member, in dealing with the challenges facing KCBS, and give an example of how those skills would serve the KCBS Board of Directors and its membership.
First, I would like to thank everyone for the opportunity to run for the KCBS BOD. The question here asked about my skill in comparison with the other candidates. Where I do not know whom the other candidates are, and therefore I am not able to compare myself to them. However, with that being said, I do feel that I can bring several valuable skills to the table.
1st is that I am a firm believer in Responding instead of Reacting. Reacting is something that you do without training or all the information. Responding is something that you do because of you evaluate all the information first. This is something that we should apply to action/ideas that we accept and reject.
2nd is that I am a Project Manager that manages the construction and renovation of schools. Everyday I have the opportunity to bring a lot of different people together to accomplish common goals, maintain schedules, maintain budgets, maintain quality and succeed.
So, I am not sure as to how my skills compare to the others, but I feel confident that my skills will be a welcome asset to the KCBS BOD.
2. If you are a Cook, Judge, Rep or Backyard Cook, please identify the major KCBS issues concerning one of the areas in which you are involved. Describe the major issue, your strategies to correct or improve the issue, and what you see as the biggest challenge to the success of your plan.
I am currently a Cook and as a cook, I think the major issue is the inconsistency in the scoring. I think that KCBS needs to do 2 things to help resolve this issue:
Create a Continuing Education course for New judges, Low Scoring judges and High Scoring judges to help them better understand KCBS BBQ.
For the new judge classes. Invite the KCBS competition cooking teams to come out and cook for it but limit the number of new judges to (12) per competition cook team. This way the judges are being trained on competition BBQ and not catering style BBQ, These ideas/changes are not something that is going to be popular nor simply. But I fell that they are something that is necessary for KCBS to continue to grow.
3. Identify your major short term goal and the major long term goal, if elected to the Board of KCBS and your plan to implement change or improvement in order to carry out each of these goals.
Short Term Goal – Implement a Continuing Education course for New judges, Low Scoring judges and High Scoring judges to help them better understand KCBS BBQ
Long Term Goal – Change the TOY points system to a BBQ Playoff Competition so it will be relevant to most members.
4. If elected please explain, “your level of commitment, time and energy” for committee projects and monthly reports, board meetings and attendance, as well as representing KCBS to the public and being responsive to our members. Please understand that “whatever time is required” is not an acceptable answer. Executive Committee members typically volunteer 8-10 hours a month and Committee Chairs typically volunteer 3-5 hours a month. “No Report” often means no activity. Will you be an active board member or inactive board member?
I will start off my saying that nothing stays the same. Because of this, everything has to change to stay relevant. KCBS has to change or it will not grow. Just like everyone that are members of KCBS. We share a passion for BBQ and with all passions the conversations can become heated and confusing at times. But, we share in the passion that we want KCBS to continue to grow, As a KCBS BOD members I am committed to getting results and I will take all the time necessary to obtain those results.
In addition, I plan to continue to compete in between 13-20 KCBS contest per year. So I will be accessible (except during the competition
5. What new ideas would you have in regards to marketing or new ideas that would benefit membership?
1st Make it mandatory for all teams that are competing in KCBS contest to be members. This can be offered as an add-on on the application for cooks to compete in events. “If you are not a KCBS Member, add $40.00”
2nd KCBS needs to proactively target new areas to help establish new contest and attract new teams and judges.
3rd work with our judges and cooks to encourage growing the BBQ Family relationships. I promise, as a cook, if any judges/reps wants some BBQ to take home with them after a contest, that I am competing in. Come see me and I will be happy to give you some. I have more than enough in my freezer at home already.
6. Please describe your previous participation in KCBS activities and years of experience.
I have been a cook competing in KCBS sanctioned event for the past 5 years and a member of the KCBS education committee for last several months.
7. Please explain why you want to be a member of the KCBS Board of Directors.
It is something that my wife and myself have truly enjoyed. We have been blessed to meet some amazing people from all over the world that share the passion for BBQ. We have seen some beautiful parts of this country that we would not have seen without an excuse to go to these small towns.
For us to be able to continue to do this, KCBS needs to continue to grow. And I believe if you are not willing to work on something then I can not complain when nothing changes.