KCBS February Board Agenda
Kansas City Barbeque Society
Board of Directors Meeting
Friday, February 15, 2019
Meeting called to order by Carolyn Wells, Executive Director or Heath Hall, CEO
Roll Call: Dennis Polson, Mike Richter, Randall Bowman, Jason Cole, Alan Sellers, Jay Amsbaugh, Candy Weaver, Randy Bigler, David Qualls, Richard Pergola, Haymo Gutweniger, Myron Berry
KCBS Office: Carolyn Wells, Heath Hall, Kim Collier
Election of 2019 KCBS Officers:
Elected President will preside over the rest of the meeting.
Requests to Speak: Dave Amend and Arlie Bragg
Recognizing barbeque as America’s cuisine, the mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form.
I accept my duties as a KCBS director to further the KCBS mission so that truth, justice, excellence in barbeque and the American way of life may be strengthened and preserved forever.
Minutes of Last Meeting
Motion by: I move to accept minutes of the January meeting.
Attached is the January financial report. Pleased accept this report.
Need BOD Approval
Sanctioning Committee Report
There is one event that has not submitted paperwork that we believe would like to have a competitor series event. If they still have not contacted KCBS, we would guess that they do not wish to sanction under KCBS.
Marketing Committee Report
International Committee Report
Rules Committee Report
CBJ Committee Report
Rep Committee Report:
Technology Committee Report
Strategic Planning Committee Report
Banquet Committee Report
Membership Committee Report
Nominating/Election Committee Report
At the January awards banquet, Myron Berry, Randy Bigler, Richard Fergola, Haymo Gutweniger, David Qualls and Candy Weaver were elected. Myron Berry was elected to fill the one-year vacated term and Haymo Gutweniger was elected to fill the two-year vacated term.
Education/Communication Committee Report
Building Committee Report
- We discussed the official judges Facebook page and how we are at 714 members and growing. We also talked about the sniping on social media from people who cook 4 or 5 competitions over a year period of time and wonder why their cook is not in the groove and they did not score as high as they should.
- We talked about a cook team complaining about how they used a famous cook teams rub, sauce and exact instructions and wonder why they came in 95th out of 125 teams. The missing items were, different cooker, different wood, and chicken from a different farm. With all the chatter maybe it should just be kept at chatter with no response.
- We talked about organizers and how they are easing into the program. Some of the early ones are waiting for most of the bugs to be worked out. They are staying with the old systems they know and have worked with for years. Change will happen, it will just be slow.
- We discussed “what are this committee’s goals.” We hope that a scope or plan can be developed.
Update on sale of 2519 Madison Ave
Update on sale of Hickman Mills
Philanthropy Committee Report
Meeting will be paused until Saturday, February 16.
Closed Session Agenda
- Free Membership discussion and possible motion.
- Executive Committee discussion and possible motion.
- American’s Barbeque Experts discussion and possible motion.
- Master Certified Table Captain discussion and possible motion.
- CBJ Classes discussion and possible motion.
- Parliamentary Procedure information.
- CEO Cell Phone.
Executive Committee Report – No Report
Motion to move into closed session.