KCBS Board of Directors Regular Meeting Agenda For May 13, 2020 7:00pm CST
Kansas City Barbeque Society
Membership Requests to Address the Board:
Board of Directors’ Meeting Agenda
May 13, 2020 7:00pm CST
Call to Order
Alan Sellers, Candy Weaver, Randy Bigler, David Qualls, Richard Fergola, Haymo Gutweniger, Myron Berry, Ralph Williams, Nancy Goldsmith, Chiles Cridlin, Rick Wagner, David McAllister.
KCBS Office: Emily Detwiler
Recognizing barbeque as America’s cuisine, the mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form.
I accept my duties as a KCBS director to further the KCBS mission so that truth, justice, excellence in barbeque and the American way of life may be strengthened and preserved forever.
Notice concerning Committee Reports. Some committees do not meet monthly, If a report is presented, it will be included as attachments to the Agenda.
Discussion of any items removed from Consent Agenda
- Minutes of April 9, 2020 Meeting
- April 2020 Financial Report
- Contest Report
- Sanctioning Committee
- International Operations
- Judging Committee
- Contest Representative Committee
- Rules Committee
- Bylaws Committee
- Nominating Committee
- Finance Committee
- Scholarship Committee
- Technology Committee
- Marketing Committee
Discussion and possible motion of introducing the Burger Battle
Closed Session Agenda:
- Discussion and Possible Motion to waive the 90-day rule for Pending Contest
- Discussion and Possible Motion to waive the 90-day rule Submission of Prize Letter and Insurance Certificate
- Discussion and Possible Motion on the Pandemic and the use of comment cards.
After Closed Session:
- Chief Executive Officer & Executive Director Reports
- Discussion of Financial Reports
- Discussion of Organizational and Operational Structure.
- Discussion of Real Estate
- Discussion of Legal
- Discussion of Impact of COVID-19 Epidemic.
The Board may take any necessary actions including Motions on any or all matters discussed in closed session
Adjourn or Suspend
Attachments and Reports
Sanctioning Committee/Organizers Meeting
|Board Approval –
|Rufus Teague BBQ Throwdown – Pineridge
|In-house Approval –
|Rufus Teague BBQ Throwdown – Aiken
|Rufus Teague BBQ Throwdown – Roebuck
|Downtown Jonesboro BarBQ Festival
|Beech Mountain BBQ Cook Off (Backyard)
||Beech Mountain, NC
|Cameron Elks BBQ Cook Off (Day 2)
|Mozingo Lake BBQ
|Nor’Easter BBQ Showdown – Campground BBQ Series (Day 2)
|Pending Final Submission
|BBQ & Blues on the Levee
SANCTIONING COMMITTEE MEETING 5/6/2020
Attending were: Haymo Gutweniger, Myron Berry, Charlie Brinza, Sandy Fulton, Debbie Yopp, Karrin Murphy, Emily Detwiler.
Meeting began at 12:03pm
Karrin reported that we have no current conflicts. We have had approximately 200 contests that have postponed until later this year or to next year. With several contests that hasn't been able to make a “go/no-go” decision on their date yet, the committee recommends approval of the waiving of the restriction of the 90 days for the prize letter and Certificate of Insurance with easing to 30 days, so they have a better understanding of whether they can make it all come together.
We have one contest application that is under the 90 guideline. The committee recommends the sanctioning of The Rufus Teague BBQ Throwdown in Aiken, South Carolina. The application came in under the 90 day guidelines.
The Ad Hoc Organizers Committee is finishing editing the Organizers Guide and will have a finished guide this month.
Meeting adjourned at 12.33pm.
Myron Berry, Chair
International Board of Managers Report
As expected, all activity for the IOTeam has been postponed or cancelled through July. The following is a listing of the 2020 International Contest Schedule as of May 10, 2020:
Of the Anticipated 73 International Contests for 2020:
- 7 contests not yet sanctioned (based on 2019 contest schedule)
- 4 contests were held
- 8 contests postponed and moved to later in 2020
- 24 contests canceled for 2020 and moved to 2021
- 8 contests canceled (Organizers of 7 contests have requested sanctioning fees be returned with 1 rollover to another contest in 2020.)
- 7 contests postponed and have not given a new date (not all COVID related)
- 15 regularly scheduled contests with no changes (May 10, 2020)
These numbers are changing on a daily basis as IBOM members are in contact with International Organizers. Also, not included are 24 + CBJ & TC Classes, US Embassy’s Affairs, Cooking Demonstrations, and Sponsor Dinners for organizers in countries visited by the IOTeam.
We are working closely with Emily in verifying the 2019 Profit and Loss Numbers and should have that information ready for the June Report.
Europe Addition to the International Report-Gutweniger
The contest situation in Europe actually remains the same as the month before. Due to the COVID-19 situation the planned contests all over Europe are postponed or mostly cancelled for 2020. The organizers that had to cancel their events have chosen a new date in 2021, someone found a chance to have it postponed later in 2020, hoping for a better situation.
In 2020 until now all over Europe we had only 1 contest. Talking to a few organizers over the last weeks the situation actually looks like we might have the season start in August.
We don’t know yet about eventual restrictions we might have in this restart of the BBQ season, but it might be that we will have a fall with still a nice competition season this year.
Total Active Paid Members..................................... 18,480
New Members.............................................................. 178
Renewed Members................................................... 1,096
Lifetime Members...................................................... 2,114
International Members............................................... 2,001
Number of Countries...................................................... 42
KCBS CBJ Meeting of April 28, 2020 was called to order by Ralph Williams at 7:31p.m. Members present were Randy Bigler, George DeMartz, Jennifer Eggleston, Nancy Goldsmith, Frank Gonzales, Maxine Kilgore, Dennis Polson, Alan Sellers, Candy Weaver and Ralph Williams.
1. Judge Nomination Form – Final review of the nomination form was approved with one addition. It is recommended we give the form to KCBS Reps as they are aware of those individuals who may deserve this honor. Contest Reps will be asked be asked to work with suggestions from judge coordinators. The form is very explicit in the information required to complete a nomination along with a submission deadline of October 1. Once nominations are received, they will be assigned an identification code and then sent to the CBJ Committee for its selection.
2. Virtual CBJ and/or Table Captain classes - Good discussion on how KCBS will move into the virtual classroom mode. Numerous pros and cons were presented. At this time, it is the wish of the committee to do a “practice” TC virtual class with the committee to see how it is perceived. We will utilize the Zoom system for our practice. A date, along with instructor(s), will be selected at a later date. Great discussion of the CBJ and TC booklets with the understanding the cost of printing being quite expensive. The committee agreed to have the new class attendee be given a link to the online booklet. This booklet will not be accessible except to those who are becoming new CBJ’s. The same practice would apply to those taking the TC class. It would totally be the responsibility of the new CBJ or TC to download or copy the booklets. This will allow for continuous updates to materials and help eliminate outdated materials.
4. Badges- A motion was made and passed during the March KCBS BOD meeting that new CBJ’s will continue to receive their CBJ badge. All other forms of badges (ex. Master Judge, TC, name change, etc) will be at the expense of the individual requesting the badge. Approximate cost of a badge and mailing is $25.00. The office has an ample supply of the small oval CBJ and TC pins and will continue to pass those to the individuals as they complete the classwork.
5. CBJ Committee email address - the Committee was given the formal CBJ email, firstname.lastname@example.org. Any information coming through this email address with be handled within the committee.
6. Test Questions- The Master test questions have been researched and cleaned up. How to get them to the website will be explored. The question was raised as to how a person will know the correct answer to a question they have missed, currently there is no feedback.
7. Porta Potty – it was suggested we work with organizers to have a space designated as a female only location. Randy will bring this information to the Organizers Committee.
8. Cooks willing to have CBJ cook with them - Frank Gonzales updated us that the number of cooks who would be willing to have a CBJ cook with them has dropped to about 46. Numerous cooks are not sure of how they will handle the situation now with the Covid-19 being such an issue.
Being no further discussion, the meeting was adjourned at 8:35 p.m. Our next meeting will be May 26th
and 7:30 p.m. central time.
Submitted by Ralph Williams
KCBS Rules Committee
KCBS Rules Committee Meeting, May 5th 2020
Attendees: Chiles Cridlin, Theresa Bell, Jim Frazee, George DeMartz, Charlie Brinza, Candy Weaver, Mike Wozniak, Barry Johnson, Dave Druetzler, Ed Hartman,
- Roll Call
- Everyone in attendance – Thank you!
- Steak Rules ancillary – Decide if we resurrect the rules and complete them.
- Chiles to take ownership of consolidating
- Hamburger contests are growing – First to complete and Chiles is actively working to consolidate what Haymo has drafted and integrate that with what was approved in 2016 estimated completion date to be June 1.
- Judges MP3 review – too long and could be considered “not interesting”.
- George D. to take the first read thru all MP3 scripts by next meeting
- George has reviewed the scripts and has requested time to sit with Chiles to review his recommendations.
- Review to be completed before the next meeting.
- Committee members may need access to the reps area.
- Need to find a way for committee members to have access to the MP3’s and Rep Advisories – As of 5/5, this is still an issue and for Chiles to address.
- Rep Advisories – We should plan to incorporate older advisories into the rules or rep handbook.
- Where are the old rep advisories?
- Chiles to take the lead to ask the Rep Committee if they want to add to the Rep Handbook and then turn over to rules?
- Who will take lead? - Chiles
- Timeline to complete this – No plan of timeline discussed in the 5/5 meeting.
- Shorten rules Page – Create a plan or timeline to review the current KCBS rules without losing integrity of the content.
- Charlie B. and Jim F. did an amazing job on this!
- All changes reviewed and a few updates will be made prior to the next meeting.
- Pork – Each member to write their own version of the rule and discuss with the group. It stands out that
- When a new rule has been passed, make sure we document the spirit or history of the rule so we can review the intent or reason the rule was put in place to begin with. The example was pooling of sauce – History about the lettuce cups of sauce vs this was emphasized on this call.
- Chicken tasting and skin. – It was discussed whether the chicken “may” or “shall” be tasted with the skin on. It was suggested that the cook team has the right to have their entries “judged as presented” and the skin “will” be tasted. There will be more discussions going forward.
- Version control on all documents - Date created, edited, etc.
- Chiles has requested documents and locations from each committee.
- Not much of a response received.
- Format control and all documents saved as PDF’s
- Find Bill Capstack’s Action list from every board meeting.
- Find Bill’s ancillary judging document. (completed)
- Version on the file name and version listed in the
- Record of all documents – is there a “Master List”?
- Suggest an annual review annually and “released” after the edit.
- Timeline for the editing process
- Suggest that we follow the TOY calendar year.
- Formalize document lifecycle process from committee to publishing.
Closing – No additional questions or concerns were provided.
Technology Committee Report
David McAllister (chair) Chiles Cridlin David Qualls David Johnson
David McAllister Chiles Cridlin David Qualls Emily Detwiler
- Website – KCBS Invitational website
- Internal – Backoffice application
- Online Contest Sanctioning application
- Online Judging Class Registration/Submittal
- Implemented and released
- Implemented and in beta testing.
- Development in progress.
- Development in progress.