September 2020 BOD Quick Notes
Kansas City Barbeque Society
Membership Requests to Address the Board:
Board of Directors’ Meeting Quick Notes
September 9, 2020 7:00pm CST
Call to Order
Meeting was called to order at 7:00pm
Alan Sellers, Candy Weaver, Randy Bigler, David Qualls, Richard Fergola, Haymo Gutweniger, Myron Berry, Ralph Williams, Nancy Goldsmith, Chiles Cridlin, Rick Wagner, David McAllister.
KCBS Office: Emily Detwiler, IBOM: Wayne Lohman
Recognizing barbeque as America’s cuisine, the mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form.
I accept my duties as a KCBS director to further the KCBS mission so that truth, justice, excellence in barbeque and the American way of life may be strengthened and preserved forever.
Notice concerning Committee Reports. Some committees do not meet monthly, If a report is presented, it will be included as attachments to the Agenda.
Discussion of any items removed from Consent Agenda
Nancy Goldsmith- I Move to Approve the Consent Agenda
Second- Gutweniger – Motion Passed Unanimously
- Minutes of July 10, 2020 Meeting
- July 2020 Financial Report
- Contest Report
- Sanctioning Committee
- International Operations
- Judging Committee
- Contest Representative Committee
- Rules Committee
- Bylaws Committee
- Nominating Committee
- Finance Committee
- Scholarship Committee
- Technology Committee
- Marketing Committee
- Membership is currently at 17,000. This includes moderate declines in Renewed members and International members; largely driven by contests postponing to 2021 due to ongoing COVID-19 concerns. As previously mentioned, your membership provides ongoing support for KCBS to ensure a strong operation and dedication to our mission so that we can ensure a strong future when contests and activities resume.
- We will have opportunities for a chance to win on each renewed membership each month during the rest of the year.
- Working through business supporter programs for 2021.
- Member Survey: 3733 members responded to the survey, a 20% response rate. We are currently working through the data. 10 members were selected and are being mailed custom KCBS Yeti Ramblers.
One-Meat Contest Updates:
- Continuing to monitor and update contests that are moving to later dates due to COVID; updating on www.KCBS.US.
- Judges and Pitmaster teams should continue to look on www.kcbs.us or check with the Organizers to determine if their contest are still “on.”
- Be sure to check www.kcbs.us for the most current COVID guidelines for preceding with contests, click here
KCBS World Invitational:
- We’ve seen increased interest in One-Meat contests. These are great opportunities for both adding on as a Friday-night opportunity AND for stand-alone contests. They DO count for Master Series points.
- Communications planned with Organizers to add One-Meat contests to 2021 contests.
- Based on the safety protocols in place from both KCBS and the event facility’s extra safety protocols in place, as well as the positive response from the Pitmasters and Judges involved in the contest, the KCBS World Invitational is currently a “go.”
- Should any changes be made, we will communicate by end of October.
- KCBS Banquet and TOY awards to be held at on the Saturday evening, 11/14. We will be posting information within the next week on how to order tickets to the Banquet on www.kcbs.us.
- We will continue to hold educational events during the KCBS Banquet sessions on 11/13 at the Prairie Band Casino (i.e. Certified Table Captain Class, Building your Brand session, Coffee with the CEO, and Organizing an Event sessions)
- We’ve continued to send out membership communication via digital Bullsheet and mid-month “Meat Sheet” with very positive response and “open” rates from the membership.
- All Scholarships have been distributed for 2020. Awarded over $8,250 in 2020.
- Continue to work with members on special event fundraisers (i.e. Facebook fundraisers for birthdays and “In Memoriam” scholarship opportunities to honor lost loved ones
- 2021 planning is underway for ToY, partnership programs, new programming and contest planning.
Myron Berry- I Move that any participation or wins by a backyard team in a Master series one meat contest will not affect their continuing status as a backyard cook team
Second- Bigler – Motion Passed Unanimously
- Discussion and Possible Motion of a Backyard team winning a One Meat Master Series contest affecting their Backyard status
Nancy Goldsmith- I Move that If a student (high school or college) holds an individual KCBS membership, they would be eligible to apply for a scholarship under their own number, provided they maintained KCBS membership for at least one year prior to submitting the scholarship application.
Second- Bigler – Motion Passed Unanimously
- Discussion and Possible Motion– If a member of 16 and up is an individual member for more than one year they can make an application for a scholarship for themselves and does not have to go through a parent that is a member – Finance Committee Request
Rick Wagner- I Move that we require Board Members to pay their travel and Hotel Expenses this year to the KCBS Banquet and KCBS will provide the Banquet Tickets.
Second- Gutweniger – Motion Passed with 9-2: McAllister, Wagner, Cridlin, Goldsmith, Williams, Berry, Gutweniger, Fergola, Qualls-Yes - Bigler, Sellers-No
Closed Session Agenda:
- Discussion and Possible Motion on Board members expenses to the Banquet – Propose with the current financial conditions that all Board members cover their own travel and hotel expenses to attend the annual banquet, KCBS will provide banquet ticket – Finance Committee Request
Myron Berry- I Move to Enter in to Closed Session
Second- Sellers – Motion Passed Unanimously
Entered Closed Session at 7:34PM
Board Returned To Open Session at 10:15PM
After Closed Session:
- Chief Executive Officer & Director Reports
- Discussion of Financial Reports
- Discussion of Personnel
- Discussion of Event Incidents
- Discussion of Sanctioning & World Invitational
- Discussion of Real Estate
- Discussion of Impact of COVID-19 Epidemic
- Discussion of Marketing and Events for 2021 Season
The Board may take any necessary actions including Motions on any or all matters discussed in closed session
Rick Wagner- I Move to authorize the President to renew the Employment Agreement with the C.E.O. as discussed in Closed Session
Second- Goldsmith – Motion Passed Unanimously
Ralph Williams- I Move to I move to suspend the use of the current judges seating program effective November 1, 2020 and return to the use of the random chip draw for the seating of judges.
Second- Sellers – Motion Passed with one Nay Vote.
Adjourn or Suspend
Randy Bigler- I Move to Adjourn
Second- Wagner – Motion Passed Unanimously
Meeting Adjourned at 10:16PM
Attachments and Reports
|BOD Approval –
|In-house Approval –
|Vienna BBQ Days 2021 Day 1 & 2
|Practice for Cash
|Rockin' BBQ 2 Just Another BBQ Day 1 & 2
|Rockin' BBQ 2 Just Another BBQ - One Meat Companion Contest
|Rufus Teague BBQ Throwdown - Dorchester Shrine Club
|Bring'n Home the Bacon Day 2
||West Salem, WI
|Rufus Teague BBQ Throwdown - Galax
|Canadian BBQ Championship - KCBS Fall Edition
||Delhi, Ontario, Canada
Sanctioning Committee Meeting 8/26/2020
Haymo Gutweniger, Randy Bigler, Charlie Brinza, Karrin Murphy, Emily Detwiler, Candy Weaver and Myron Berry
Meeting began at 12:01 pm
There are two possible BBQ League's forming for 2021:
The Rufus Teague BBQ League is looking at having 12-15 contests in 2021 with the contests being held in The Carolina's and Virginia.
The Utah BBQ League is looking at having 10-12 BY contests in 2021.
A list of KCBS organizers is being put together on google.doc by Wesley Murphy (Karrin's son) who is working as a part time intern this summer at KCBS.
There has been a lot of interest for new contests in 2021 as we have sent out five info packets (Organizers Guide) this past month to potential new contest organizers.
A discussion was held regarding the eligibility of a BY Pitmaster to continue as a BY Cook Team. After discussion, the committee unanimously agreed that they had no issue with the BY Pitmaster continuing as a BY Cook Team.
Meeting adjourned at 12:47 pm
Myron Berry, Chair
The CBJ Committee meeting was called to order at 7:30 p.m. This meeting is several days ahead of the scheduled meeting due to a conflict of the Chairperson, Ralph Williams. Members present were: Emily Detwiler, Alan Sellers, Goldsmith, Frank Gonzales, Dennis Polson and Ralph Williams.
The primary focus of this meeting was to discuss the request of CBJ class applications that have been submitted for additional CBJ classes. The main question, as always, is there a need for classes in the requested areas. The event locations are: Ottumwa, IA, Shawnees, OK, and KC, MO.
For all events, it was noted these areas were showing a shortage of CBJ’s for scheduled events.
Ottumwa, IA: Committee members cited the shortage of CBJ’s at area events. Class approved, Rich & Bunny Tuttle will the instructors.
Shawnee, OK, two recently area events were short at least 12 CBJ’s. This event is seeking to host 100 teams as alternative to the American Royal cancelling their events. This location is very close to the mentioned events having CBJ shortages. This event would need approximately 140 judges. Class approved; Ralph & Karen Williams will be the instructors.
Kansas City, MO. This class was requested by the KCBS office to help fill the void created when the AR cancelled. Numerous individuals had signed up for the class. Rich & Bunny Tuttle will be the instructors.
The Committee noted the interest of these new persons wanting to join the BBQ family. Hopefully this will help fill the void for BBQ judges that events are currently experiencing.
Frank Gonzales there had been no additional request of teams willing to host a CBJ seeking their master CBJ designation.
Alan Sellers made reference to a culinary school that may or may not be willing to host a CBJ class for the Mid Atlantic area. This facility has large kitchen areas, seating, and a large parking area and thus making it possible to host a KCBS Master series event. Alan will contact the designated person responsible to the facility.
Many THANKS to all who shifted our meeting date. The meeting was adjourned at 8:40p.m.
The rep committee met on Sep 1. In attendance were Emily Detwiler, Candy Weaver, Haymo Gutweiner, Ralph Williams, Nancy Muller, Debby Cage, Lynda Voth, Mike Winter, Dave Drutezler, Julie Poe, Doug Reid and Bill Jones.
Discussions were held on the updating of Rep Nomination forms and the Outstanding CBJ nominations forms.
We also discussed the reps ability to be able to search for a Head Cook, Team Name and Member number on the website. The question arose what if there is more than one team number listed? It was confirmed that the first number listed would be the one used for the team. Hopefully the cooks will login to the website and update their profile and double check their head cook's number.
International activity is beginning to pick up with discussions for 3 sanctioned contests and classes in Brazil. The location of these events should attract other organizers and teams from surrounding countries to host BBQ events in their regions. Discussions are under way with identifying and training reps to help us expand our contest base in Chile, Paraguay, Argentina, Peru in South America.
Panama and Costa Rica have postponed all activities until 2021 but we expect continued interest in both countries with the help of the US Dept. of Agriculture in those country Embassy’s.
5 new locations have been identified for BBQ events in Mexico with 3 organizers who are involved with local contests, 2 of which are located deep in the interior of Mexico, Puebla and Leon.
There is a strong interest in ancillary contests in Latin American and we are working with different entries that are popular to that country. These events promote grilling and are designed to attract a different group of cookers and the general public for sanctioned events that are promoted as food festivals, popular in foreign countries. In Brazil we are discussing Asado type contests and tacos entries in Mexico.
We continue to address other administrative issues such as pricing in new countries where sponsorship is difficult because they do not understand the value of what a BBQ events bring to them. To date, all organizers have received their contest sanctioning fees returned or postponed as requested. We have 12 international contests remaining for the year and 36 postponed until 2021.
With the growth of international events, we see even more interest in the International TOY. We expect that rules will vary by the countries involved due to the number of the events in that region.
International administrative costs are being closely reviewed by the IBOM with discussions on printing paper supplies, and ordering pins, and badges locally.
We continue to address other administrative issues, updating our organizers forms to reflect local country customs such as insurance issues, TOY requirements, just to name a few.
We also want to mention the success of our 1st virtual World Championship Hot Wing Contest completed this past weekend. 27 teams competed, including 3 international teams, which raised $19,000 for the Ronald McDonald House Charity that supports St. Jude’s Hospital families stay in Memphis. Our international team from Costa Rica, GRILLdroids, took top honors and the Brazilian Team, Mr. Fumis finished 7th overall. KCBS has sanctioned this Competitors series contest for the past 6 years and is the largest hot wing contest to our knowledge. 6 international teams have already applied for the 2021 April event.
Additional International – Report Europe: Haymo Gutweniger
The BBQ-season in Europe goes on, we had other 2 contests in August.
Both of them special since the events were planned in countries that took special ways during the Covid-19 times.
The first contest in Sweden, a country that didn’t have any lockdown and went through the 1st
part of this pandemic in a special way. We were in touch with the organizer since June and they wanted to cook and organize and were able to set a small contest up. Swedish law allows events up to 50 people, so with 14 teams, the judges and all people needed we were able to stay into this. The contest was kind of private (no visitors allowed) in a nice area near Gothenburg.
We have to express our congratulations to all the Swedish, normally they don’t use any masks at all, but respecting the KCBS special regulations all wore masks and respected all the regulations as provided by KCBS. We can confirm that the contest was organized perfectly and for sure comes back next year.
Second step for that is important since the organizers from Sweden want to expand the events in Northern Europe and plan to help organizers to step up. The plan is to create e Northern Alliance with Norway, Finland, the Baltic countries, Denmark and maybe even Iceland.
We had a second contest in August in Estonia, approved organizers. Even in Estonia actually the masks are not required, but after clearing up the rules and regulations the contest, as planned, went perfectly well. Special note – there was even a CBJ-class, held outside, all participants well distanced and then wearing masks during the tasting.
The situation in Europe actually changes daily, some countries have big new numbers, others are very complicated with travelling, but hopefully the upcoming contests in Europe will take place, always with the required regulations.
For sure teams and judges want to have events, to say that actually it seems that the upcoming events will have enough judges showing up.
The Marketing committee has met twice in the last two months and discussed promotional programs for the 2021 season.
Those in attendance for both meetings were; Richard Fergola-Chairman, Candy Weaver-President, Chiles Cridlin, Alan Sellers, David Qualls, Candy Weaver, Brian Harvey, and CEO Emily Detwiler.
We request discussion with the whole Board on a planning programs and Sponsors in Closed Session on the September 2020 Board Meeting.
The KCBS Nominating Committee will begin accepting applications on October 1, 2020 for the 2021 KCBS Board of Directors Election and will end on October 31, 2020.
All members of KCBS in good standing are eligible for candidacy.
A Director must be a Member of the Corporation in good standing and have been a member of the Corporation for a period of not less than (12) months. Any member may be nominated by another member or by self-nomination. Please provide the name, address, phone number and email address of each nominee being submitted for candidacy. Each candidate nominated must accept the nomination for his or her name to appear on the ballot. All candidates will be required by the 5th day of November 2020 to provide to the KCBS office a current photograph and their answers to the election questionnaire.
The Nominating Committee will select a slate of candidates from the nominees.
This information will be published in the Bullsheet, on the KCBS website and electronic voting website. The submission may be modified one time following initial publication and changes must be received by December 5th, 2020,
Myron Berry, Chair
Committee Members: David McAllister (chair), Chiles Cridlin, David Qualls, David Johnson
- Online Contest Sanctioning application
- Online Judging Class Registration/Submittal
- Marketing Landing page for KCBS.us
- Updates to KCBS.us
- Development in progress.
- Development paused.
- Discussions ongoing.
- New additions
- BY 180 results
- Rep Portal Team search
KCBS Rules Committee
KCBS Rules Committee Meeting Notes September 1st
Attendees: Chiles Cridlin, Theresa Bell, Jim Frazee, Charlie Brinza, Candy Weaver, Mike Wozniak, Dave Druetzler, George DeMartz,
Not in attendance – Emily Detwiler, Ed Hartman,
- Review of Chicken Judging Procedures
- New agenda item brought forth by the Rep Committee.
- The Rules Committee has reviewed a written request by Dave Druetzler who is on the Rep committee and on the Rules Committee. After review and discussion, the Rules Committee has revised the request and has returned the request back to the Rep Committee with the instructions of consideration to make it a Rep Advisory.
- Pit Master age discussion
- Not recommending a minimum age for Pit Master or Head Cook.
- Emailed Emily and Myron a sample release document to review.
- KCBS MP3 review – Goal for Judges MP3 Review completion – 9/1
- Final revision has been forwarded to the CBJ committee for their review and approval.
- Requested that if approved, it be added to the BOD 9/12 agenda.
- Rep Advisories – Reviewed in the August 4th meeting – Goal to complete before 10/1.
- Update organizers guide and sanctioning paperwork to reflect the same.
- Needs to be made available to everyone with a KCBS login.
- Add RA reference numbers to rules instead of spelling everything out.
- RA references have been added to the 2021 Rules Draft and sent to the BOD for guidance.
- Update KCBS COVID Guidelines (Complete)
- No further actions from the Rules Committee at this time
- Version control on all documents – On Hold till next year
- Using the KCBS Website as the master repository.
- Would like to a format change similar to 4-H club document repository
- Develop a historical rules change document so that we have a way to review the spirit of why some rules were added or changed.
- Hamburger contest Rules
- Still need to update a few other ancillary and other rules documents to make sure we have consistency across all documents.
- TOY Points rules and accumulation (percentage vs set number of top scores)
- Would like to have completed by 10/1 – Recommend sending back to Haymo for action.
- Additional Ancillary Rules
Closing – No additional questions or concerns were provided.