KCBS January 2021 Board Agenda
Kansas City Barbeque Society
Membership Requests to Address the Board:
Board of Directors’ Meeting Agenda
January 13, 2021 7:00pm CST
Call to Order
Alan Sellers, Candy Weaver, Randy Bigler, David Qualls, Richard Fergola, Haymo Gutweniger, Myron Berry, Ralph Williams, Nancy Goldsmith, Chiles Cridlin, Rick Wagner, David McAllister.
KCBS Office: Emily Detwiler
Recognizing barbeque as America’s cuisine, the mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form.
I accept my duties as a KCBS director to further the KCBS mission so that truth, justice, excellence in barbeque and the American way of life may be strengthened and preserved forever.
Notice concerning Committee Reports. Some committees do not meet monthly, If a report is presented, it will be included as attachments to the Agenda.
Discussion of any items removed from Consent Agenda
Chief Executive Officer’s Report
- Minutes of December 9, 2020 Meeting
- November 2020 Financial Report
- Contest Report
- Sanctioning Committee
- International Operations
- Judging Committee
- Contest Representative Committee
- Rules Committee
- Bylaws Committee
- Nominating Committee
- Finance Committee
- Scholarship Committee
- Technology Committee
- Marketing Committee
- Discussion and Possible Motion to discuss adding a 150 mile guidelines to Backyard Contests
- Discussion and Possible Motion to raise CBJ Classes from $45 to $50
- Discussion and Possible Motion on a Rep Advisory Pertaining to Hot Holding Specifications
- Discussion and Possible Motion to Approve Rules for the Turkey Smoke Ancillary
- Discussion and Possible Motion to Approve Rules for the Steak Ancillary
- Discussion and Possible Motion Adopt the Revised Contest Representative Manual
- Discussion and Possible Motion on Virtual Contest Application
And Management Fees for 3rd
Discussion and Possible Motion To implement a monthly Board Report Podcast to members
Closed Session Agenda:
After Closed Session:
- Chief Executive Officer Report
- Financial, Legal, and Real Estate Report
- Discussion of Member Programs for 2021
- Discussion of Member Incident
The Board may take any necessary actions including Motions on any or all matters discussed in closed session
Adjourn or Suspend
Attachments and Reports
|In-house Approval –
|Smoke in the Spring
||Osage City, KS
|Smokin' Trackside BBQ Bash
|Rufus Teague BBQ Throwdown - Murphy
|Porkapalooza BBQ Festival
||Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
|Foley BBQ & Blues Cook Off (Backyard Only)
|New Jersey KnoQ-out: Day 1 - Campground BBQ Series
|New Jersey KnoQ-out: Day 2 - Campground BBQ Series
|Beats, Brews, & BBQ
|Minnesota in May
|Bring'n Home the Bacon - Day 2
||West Salem, WI
|Ottumwa 4th Annual Smoketoberfest
|Smokin Hot Cars & BBQ
|Mozingo Lake BBQ
|The Original SD BBQ Championships - One Meat Standalone Ribs
|Smokin' in the Bogs
|Firelake BBQ Cook Off Day 1
|Firelake BBQ Cook Off Day 2
|City of Welch Coalfields Cook-off
|Big Buffalo Crossing BBQ Cook-Off
Meeting began at 12.31pm on January 6, 2021
In Attendance: Haymo Gutweniger, Charlie Brinza, Debbie Yopp, Karrin Murphy, Emily Detwiler and Myron Berry, Chair.
A discussion was held regarding Backyard Stand Alone contests that are held on same days as Backyard contests held in conjunction with Master Series contests where the two contests are less than 150 miles from one another. The guidelines that are applied when two applications come into the office for Master series contests that are less than 150 miles from one another require approval from the BOD. The committee supports adopting the same guidelines for all Backyard contests.
The committee discussed some possible additions to the Organizers Guide regarding the organizers duties and responsibilities. Debbie Yopp will draft proposed changes and present back to our committee.
Discussion about applications and sanctioning fees for virtual contests were discussed. Emily will draft applications for these virtual contests.
Meeting adjourned at 1:15pm
Myron Berry, Chair
Additional International – Report Europe: Haymo Gutweniger
Actually, almost all Europe is struggling with the Pandemic but with the start of the vaccine the situation could get better over the next months.
For sure Europe will have a BBQ season 2021, it isn’t clear yet when this season will start. The traditional start in January was cancelled due to the known problems. It all seems that there won’t be contests before the middle/end of April. For sure the local situation must be seen constantly with the organizers to find the best way to have contests going.
Hopefully with late spring the season will start, bringing for sure the situation to have a lot of contests over the summer session into fall. This all will bring Europe probably a lot of double contests over the weekends leading to the point that the contests won’t have as many teams competing in it as normally possible.
Since not all organizers have send in their sanctioning applications for 2021 yet the calendar now presents only 29 contests for this year’s season. Staying in regular contact with the organizers we will for sure see a few contests more coming up over the next months.
Nominating Committee: Myron Berry Chairman
The 2021 Elections are underway, and Polls will remain open through January 16, 2021 at 11:59pm CST.
Election results will be announced at the Annual Meeting on Monday January 18, 2021 at 7:00pm CST
KCBS Rules Committee
January 5th 2020
Invitees: Chiles Cridlin, Theresa Bell, Jim Frazee, Mike Wozniak, Dave Druetzler, George DeMartz, Ed Hartman, Emily Detwiler, Candy Weaver, Charlie Brinza, Brian Harvey
Not in attendance – Charlie Brinza
- Ancillary Rules
- Ancillary rules discussed following the three guiding principles:
- Keep rules simple and keep ancillary’s fun.
- Develop rules that encourage participation.
- All Ancillary rules do not have to adhere to Master / Backyard rules however they must be written to protect the interest of the Organizer and / or sponsoring partner.
- Reviewed and completed in this meeting:
- 2021 Turkey Smoke rules
- Proposed pork ancillary rules
- Proposed new Kids ‘Que rules
- February Meeting - Revisit all the 2016 approved categories, combine what makes sense (seafood, Side dish).
- Reviewed and completed after this meeting via collaborative email:
Backyard Rules for 2021 Published and posted on the KCBS Website
New Agenda Item – Discuss the use of electric holding and heating devices (this would be in addition to Rep Advisory 4.02 or replace Rep Advisory 4.02.
Question: Can warming or cooking vessels that rely on electric or gas as a heat source be used to hold proteins or transport turn in boxes?
Opinion: Yes, any cooking, warming vessel, or device can be pre-heated and used as long as any non KCBS approved heat source(s) are DISCONNECTED AND DISABLED PRIOR TO CONTAINING THE COMPETITION PROTEIN. Only KCBS approved heat sources shall be utilized once a competition protein has been placed within the vessel or device.
Discussion: KCBS currently allows weed burners to pre-heat cookers and electric or gas hot plates to warm sauce. Any heat source could be used to heat water to put inside holding cabinets or steam tables to pre-heat them prior to proteins going in or on. Proper hot holding is not only beneficial for the quality of the food, it is also USDA recommended that any food being held hot, be held at a temperature above 130 degrees if being held for extended lengths of time or up to 8 hours. The use of electricity or any other non-approved heat source while the protein is within the vessel shall result in a disqualification.
Special Philanthropy Committee Report
- 2021 Scholarship Program open for applications. Announcement in Bullsheet (via Emily's CEO report) and sent via eblast. Have asked for it to appear in Meat Sheet as well. Deadline for applications is 3/31/21.
- Another named scholarship created to honor Dave Compton who died 12/19/21. Dave was a BOD member and Chair of Philanthropy Committee who spearheaded the formalization of the scholarship application process so that they were award on the basis of merit. Helping the next generation was important to him so this scholarship is a fitting memorial (approved by his family).