KCBS Board of Directors Regular Meeting Agenda For April 26, 2021 6:00 pm CDT
Kansas City Barbeque Society
Membership Requests to Address the Board:
Board of Directors’ Meeting Agenda
Tuesday April 27, 2021 6:00pm
Call to Order
Candy Weaver, Randy Bigler, David Qualls, Richard Fergola, David McAllister, Myron Berry, Chiles Cridlin, Rick Wagner, Ralph Williams, Nancy Goldsmith, Stan Dobosenski, Corey Linton
KCBS Office: Emily Detwiler
Recognizing barbeque as America’s cuisine, the mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form.
I accept my duties as a KCBS director to further the KCBS mission so that truth, justice, excellence in barbeque and the American way of life may be strengthened and preserved forever.
Notice concerning Committee Reports. Some committees do not meet monthly, If a report is presented, it will be included as attachments to the Agenda.
Discussion of any items removed from Consent Agenda
Chief Executive Officer’s Report
- Minutes of March 23, and April 6, 2021 Meeting
- March 2021 Financial Report
- Finance Committee
- Contest Report
- Sanctioning Committee
- Judging Committee
- Contest Representative Committee
- Rules Committee
- Foundation Committee
- Nominating Committee
- Discussion and Consideration of Approval of two contests within the 150 Mile Radius Rule , Cumming, Ga and Marble NC July 30-31, 2021
- Discussion and Consideration of Approval of Contest under 90 Days in Wendell, NC June 5,2021
- Discussion and Consideration of Setting minimum Turn-In Times between events for Multiple Stand Alone Rib Events at same location and date.
- Discussion and Consideration of Minimum Team Requirements for Backyard TOY of the Year Eligibility
Closed Session Agenda:
Legal, Financial, and Real Estate
- Discussion and Consideration of Modifying the Minimum Qualifications for a Contest Representative Candidate
- Discussion and Consideration of Judge Signatures on participating in multiple events on same day
Marketing and Promotions
Discussion of Contests
Discussion of Foundation Planning
After Closed Session:
The Board may take any necessary actions including Motions on any or all matters discussed in closed session
Adjourn or Suspend
Attachments and Reports
APRIL 21, 2021
Members attending Charlie Brinza, Debbie Yopp, Candy Weaver, Corey Linton,
Joni Wittman, Karrin Murphy, Emily Detwiler and Myron Berry
Meeting began at 12:02 pm
There are two applications for contests that are under the 150-mile guideline. Cumming, Ga and Marble NC July 30-31, 2021
After discussion the committee recommends approval of sanctioning both contests.
A discussion was held about holding multiple Sanctioned One Meat Stand Alone contests on the same day. David McAllister had notified the committee that a question had been raised about the turn in times between the two separate contests as there are no guidelines on the minimum amount of time on turn ins between multiple two contests.
After discussion, the committee recommends that a minimum of one hour be required for turn in times for multiple Sanctioned One Meat Stand Alone contests held on the same day.
Meeting adjourned at 12:23pm
Myron Berry, Chair
Invitees: Chiles Cridlin, Emily Detwiler, Rick Wagner, Amy Acock, Dave Grousnick, Nancy Goldsmith, Jennifer Eggleton, Frank Gonzales, George DeMartz, Kelly McIntosh, Bill Jones, Dave Druetzler, Paul Buob
Not in attendance – Emily Detwiler, Rick Wagner Jennifer Eggleton, Kelly McIntosh, Amy Acock,
Ongoing Agenda Items
- Goals for the 2021 CBJ Committee.
- Develop Online or Web Based 2022 Certification Update Training course (In progress)
- Develop Online or Web Based CBJ Training for new judges (Not started)
- Review of conceptual updates to the KCBS Scoring System (100%)
- Define Objectives (This is a separate document 75%)
- Determine content (Most common misconceptions as seen in the judging tent 50%)
- Develop a story board (not started)
- Build test questions (not started)
- Start with the ones we have and review them first.
- Create questions based on new content and objectives
- Write script (25%)
- Choose LMS Platform (KCBS.US website has the capability) (Not started)
- Gather media needed (Not started)
- Assemble video or training program (Not started)
- Beta testing, review and deploy (Not started)
- Update related documents
- CBJ Training manual (Not started)
- Reps manual
- Rep Advisory manual and Redacted Rep Advisory Manual (handed off to Nancy Goldsmith) (100%)
- Judging Tri-fold (part of the Rules pamphlet)
- Judges MP3 (currently under review again)
- Determine if there are others
Contest Representative Committee
- New Agenda Items –
- Discussion of new MP3 that was released for the KCBS Judges meetings
- The goal is to encourage judge’s review their own scoring habits to determine if they are consistently lower than their table average, use the KCBS Judges portal to review their scores and to encourage more comment cards.
KCBS Rep Meeting Minutes April 13, 2021
The Rep Committee meeting was called to order at 6:30 pm by Chairman Ralph Williams. Members and invited guests present were: Ralph Williams, Emily Detwiler, Karrin Murphy, David McAllister, Alan Rothrock, Scott Grinstead, Scott Grinstead, Julie Poe, Jeanne Titus, Debby Gage, David Druetzler, Mike Winter, Phil Morro
David McAllister discussed with the group the idea of making a list of changes different from the old Rep manual and the new Rep manual.
General discussion centered around the current requirements for an individual to become a KCBS contest Rep. The general consensus was it is time to relax the basic requirements to help broaden the potential pool of Rep candidates.
Some questions asked were:
1. Does a person need to be a master judge? If not, what is a good number of judging sessions for a person to have judged or served as a table captain?
2. We need a specific guide as to what a Rep in Training will do at each training session.
3. Have a self-check checklist of attributes a Rep in Training possess
4. Have the Training Assignment Confirmation completed after each training by the supervising contest Rep(s).
5. Complete a minimum of 4 training sessions and if necessary, any additional sessions that are recommended by the Rep committee
6. If needed, be assigned to a mentor for additional review of procedures
A motion to the BOD, for an unspecified amount of time, to suspend the current Rep In Training Criteria
Each committee member was asked to submit suggestions for what needs to be covered during each of the Rep In Training sessions. This compilation of suggestions will be complied, and a new training format will be developed. The Rep committee will review the revisions prior to placing the new format into action.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:32 p.m. by Ralph Williams
General All Rep Meeting
April 12, 2021 – A zoom meeting was held at 7:00 pm for all Reps. Approximately 51 Reps were in attendance along with our CEO. Items discussed were: Covid Procedures, Lead Rep, new invoices, Turkey Smoke, Pork Council, Sanitizing of turn-in boxes, Foundation Scholarships, Outlier judges and script / MP3. Meeting was adjourned at 8:35 pm.
The Committee met on 4/13/21 at 7pm. In attendance were Dave Edyburn (IL), Nancy Goldsmith (Chair. IA), Mike Megyesi (MI), Priscilla Smith (OH), Beth Salzl (MN)
- The completed applications are under review and decisions regarding awards will be made at the May Committee meeting, at which time a report will be submitted to the BOD.
- Discussion regarding changes to the 2022 process and criteria. Changes will be made to the essay questions and possibly to scholarship eligibility. Work on this will continue over the summer after this year’s scholarship decisions are made.
- Several ideas were discussed, particularly in relation to the World Invitational. The committee will definitely run a 50/50 raffle, but other ideas are also being considered.
- Foundation Committee is working with Rep Committee to develop an acceptable statement to be read at every contest to increase awareness about the KCBS Foundation.