April 27, 2021 BOD Meeting Quick Notes
Kansas City Barbeque Society
Membership Requests to Address the Board:
Board of Directors’ Meeting Quick Notes
Tuesday April 27, 2021 6:00pm
Call to Order
Meeting was called to order at 6:02pm
Candy Weaver, Randy Bigler, David Qualls, Richard Fergola, David McAllister, Myron Berry, Chiles Cridlin, Rick Wagner, Ralph Williams, Nancy Goldsmith, Stan Dobosenski, Corey Linton
KCBS Office: Emily Detwiler
Recognizing barbeque as America’s cuisine, the mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form.
I accept my duties as a KCBS director to further the KCBS mission so that truth, justice, excellence in barbeque and the American way of life may be strengthened and preserved forever.
Notice concerning Committee Reports. Some committees do not meet monthly, If a report is presented, it will be included as attachments to the Agenda.
Discussion of any items removed from Consent Agenda
Nancy Goldsmith- I Move to Approve the Consent Agenda.
Second- Williams– Motion Passed Unanimously
Chief Executive Officer’s Report
- Minutes of March 23, and April 6, 2021 Meeting
- March 2021 Financial Report
- Finance Committee
- Contest Report
- Sanctioning Committee
- Judging Committee
- Contest Representative Committee
- Rules Committee
- Foundation Committee
- Nominating Committee
- Organizer Outreach:
- We’ve had a lot of feedback from existing and potential new Organizers to add new contests, add “doubles,” as well as One-Meat contest. Continuing to work closely with Sanctioning Chair and Organizers on all contests
- Finalized pre-launch testing of online sanctioning with IT workgroup. Should be ready for soft roll-out in the next few weeks.
- Positive response from Organizers of both Turkey Smoke and Celebrate Real Pork series
- Membership Updates
- Membership Manager proactively driving membership renewals and convert both lapsed and guests.
- Q1 is a big membership period for us with nearly 4,000 membership records set for renewal. March is our biggest renewal month out of the entire year, with nearly 1,600 member records. For March, we had some big wins with membership renewals and reinstatements, but we also felt the impact of those members that have lapsed past the 45 day window from February. We have already addressed and changed our lapsed membership program from a quarterly program to a monthly program to insure better than average retention numbers moving forward. We are also including more information via email and on social media to keep membership top of mind, as many people don’t seem to realize their membership has lapsed.
- Total active paid members for April is 15,460. That is down -2% from last month.
- Our retention rate was also impacted this month, but we still continue to maintain a 72% rate for the year.
- We added thus far for April, 181 new members. We continue to reinstate memberships that had previously lapsed and thus far we have reinstated more than 150 people in Q1
- Membership renewal plan
- With April starting Q2 for us, we have our 3rd largest renewal membership month. We are focused on getting our retention numbers up with outreach via digital and social. We increased our email frequency to 2x month specifically for renewals, along with reminders in BullSheet and MeatSheet. Plus we have been messaging on social media.
- We continue to hold a monthly renewal drawing for members, to encourage members to renew. For April, we will be giving away a KCBS Branded Prize Package (i.e. cup, shirts and cookbook).
- Dropped Member Come-Back Program & Free Members
- This continues to be a big opportunity for us in membership. As stated yearly, we dropped nearly 500 members recently due to Q1 lapse. We feel strongly that a large portion will come back, as we are seeing reinstatement numbers continue to climb. Therefore, we have modified our strategy to a proactive, monthly lapsed member targeting piece vs only doing it once a quarter.
- We continue to work on the Free Member & now the Prospect Member profiles to re-engage with them, as many we have reached out to recently didn’t realize their membership had lapsed and did renew. We understand not everyone will be like that, but a lot of opportunity with some additional outreach.
Membership Drive & 35th Anniversary - National BBQ Month
- International Membership
- International membership and renewals continue to slowly come in. Current International membership is 711. We have seen Canada continue to lead international membership. We currently have 33 countries represented in the KCBS database.
- Business Affiliate Updates
- We will continue to promote via social media and targeted emails to specific KCBS members based upon their business affiliations. We will also begin creating a “hit list” of specific businesses that we want to target in Q2.
- please continue to reach out to members you know with businesses; driving them to https://www.kcbs.us/kcbs_business_affiliate_progra.php to learn more and sign up.
- Hosting a Media Pro-Am to launch National BBQ Month and generate ongoing content
- Will launch our membership specials for new individual $35 as part of our 35th Anniversary and $100 discount on lifetime membership.
- Will be providing a Free Item coupon from Sam’s Club/Burnt Ends for first 35 new members in May.
- Will be providing giveaways to new members, renewals and those that upgrade membership during the month of May. Prizes include Solo Stove, Yeti Tumblers and KCBS Swag
- Have asked Marketing committee to work with Emily and Carolyn to engage members to celebrate KCBS’s 35th anniversary. Content received will be used each week for 35 weeks to feature a KCBS member with their IAMKCBS story. PLEASE SHARE YOUR STORIES, sending to firstname.lastname@example.org .
- CONTEST and EVENT UPDATES:
- Changes in COVID procedures to date and updated on the KCBS News feed.. Continuing to monitor and update communication to Membership as necessary. Judges and Pitmaster teams should continue to look on www.kcbs.us or check with the Organizers to determine if their contests are still “on.”
- Contest impact; currently at:
- Projected # of Events for 2021:
- 323 Contests currently scheduled for 2021
- 19 contests have already postponed: with no new date
- 25 have cancelled
- 44 contests already rolled over to 2022
- 16 CBJ, 3 TC of Classes scheduled for 2021
- From November 1-April 22 -37 contests has happened
- 2021 ToY Program
- 2021 TOY program overview with specific benefits and opportunities for sponsors is live on KCBS.us (467 Master teams in good standing; 103 Backyard teams in good standing)
- Encourage BOD members to share with any brand partners or businesses
- Chase 1 ends on with this weekend’s contests: as of 4/22/2021 - GC -Gettin’ Basted, RGC -Wolf’s Revenge BBQ (98 points separate 1st from 2nd place)
- The sanctioning and marketing committees continue to stay in touch with all International Organizers who have postponed or rescheduled contests for 2021. As of this date, 32 are still scheduled for this year and 3 contests have not chosen a new date. We have two new contests in Canada and Australia. Contest scheduling is fluid as there are constant COVID requirement changes within every country. For 2022, we have 16 contests postponed. Some of these were held in 2020 to 2021 to 2022. We have also appointed 2 new reps in Northern Germany to fill the gap for the two reps who resigned in The Netherlands.
- We are having discussions with the new president of the Canadian BBQ Society, Janice Smella, on how to strengthen ties between the two country organizations. Ideas being discuss are:
- · Offering dual membership to members in Canada
- · Establishing a Canadian Advisory Committee appointed by CBBQA
- · Soliciting organizers for Backyard and a One Meat Contest
- CBBQA has 160 active members with a facebook following of about 3500.
- Meat Sheet mid-month newsletter 31.35% open rate
- PR/Earned Media: April
- 12 news articles mentioned KCBS (up 71 % over this time last year); Potential Reach of 69 million ille
- Total Advertising Value Equivalency (AVE) - $640,000
- Social Media: 125 mentions for KCBS.
- This month saw more external social media push for KCBS vs internal that it was in previous months.
- In April, we are getting great coverage from the National Turkey Federation - Turkey Series events, judging and general bbq events
- Social Media
- Content for May will feature sponsor posts, member conversion messaging “join now”, 35th Anniversary, National BBQ Month, features on Turkey Smoke and Celebrate Real Pork, along with kicking off DC Virtual BBQ Battle
- Total Audience for April (as of 4.21.21) - 128,989 (up .3%)
- As of 4/21: 65,806 FB (KCBS-only) followers, 18,871 Twitter followers, 18,294 Instagram followers, 1,760 YouTube subscribers -- we continue to see an increase viewership on all social media platforms
- Impressions 216,337 (down 9.4%) & Engagement 12,774 (down 10.2%) -- even though these numbers are down over last month -- we still have another week to go into the month so not necessarily looking at apples to apples. In addition, we have had 215% increase in video views -- so the videos we are producing are getting some great traction on social.
Myron Berry- I move to Approve the sanctioning of the GBC BBQ Throwdown in Cumming, GA on July 30-31, 2021
Second- Randy Bigler– Motion Passed Unanimously
- Discussion and Consideration of Approval of two contests within the 150 Mile Radius Rule , Cumming, Ga and Marble NC July 30-31, 2021
Myron Berry- I move to Approve Approval of the Wendell, NC Contest inside the 90 Day Requirement
Second- Bigler– Motion Passed Unanimously
- Discussion and Consideration of Approval of Contest under 90 Days in Wendell, NC June 5,2021
Myron Berry- I move to Require a One Hour Minimum time between turn in times of all two or more One Meat Stand Alone Contests that are held on the same day
Second- Bigler– Motion Passed with Cridlin voting No
- Discussion and Consideration of Setting minimum Turn-In Times between events for Multiple Stand-Alone Rib Events at same location and date.
- Discussion and Consideration of Minimum Team Requirements for Backyard TOY of the Year Eligibility
Ralph Williams- I move to Suspend the Requirements to be A Master Judge to be Qualified as a KCBS Rep.
Second- Bigler– Motion Passed Unanimously
- Discussion and Consideration of Modifying the Minimum Qualifications for a Contest Representative Candidate
Chiles Cridlin- I move that a Judge can obtain a second Volunteer Signature for attending a Single Meat Competition as long as its four hours apart from the initial sanctioned event.
Myron Berry-Motion to Table Until Next Meeting
Second Qualls- Motion to Table Passed
Closed Session Agenda:
Legal, Financial, and Real Estate
- Discussion and Consideration of Judge Signatures on participating in multiple events on same day
Marketing and Promotions
Discussion of Contests
Discussion of Foundation Planning
Nancy Goldsmith- I Move to Enter in to Closed Session
Second- Weaver – Motion Passed Unanimously
Entered Closed Session at 6:58PM
Board Returned to Open Session at 8:41PM
After Closed Session:
The Board may take any necessary actions including Motions on any or all matters discussed in closed session
David Qualls- I move to Approve the Sponsorship Contracts presented to the Board during Closed Session
Second- Dobosenski– Motion Passed Unanimously
Adjourn or Suspend
Randy Bigler- I Move to Adjourn
Second- Williams– Motion Passed Unanimously
Meeting Adjourned at 7:54PM
Attachments and Reports
|BOD Approval –
||See New Business
|In-house Approval –
|Rumble on the River Presented by TheBBQSuperStore.com
||Grand Haven, MI
|Rhythm & Ribs - One Meat Chicken Contest
|Rhythm & Ribs - One Meat Rib Contest
|Columbia Elks BBQ Cookoff
|Smoke on the Water
|Currituck Bulls & BBQ
||Powells Point, NC
|Dirty Boots BBQ and Meat Contest
|Kickin It Route 66 Barbeque Challenge
||St. Robert, MO
|Red White & Que: Day 1 Campground BBQ Series
|Red White & Que: Day 2 Campground BBQ Series
|Red White & Que: Day 1 Campground BBQ Series-One Meat Rib Contest
|Red White & Que: Day 2 Campground BBQ Series-One Meat Rib Contest
|A Celebration of Our Heros
|Helping U BBQ Triple Bone - One Meat Rib Contest A
|Helping U BBQ Triple Bone - One Meat Rib Contest B
|Helping U BBQ Triple Bone - One Meat Rib Contest C
|Almost Heave Rib Fest - One Meat Rib Contest A
|Almost Heave Rib Fest - One Meat Rib Contest B
|Scottsboro BBQ Festival (Backyard & Kids Que)
|Back the Blue Day 1
|Back the Blue Day 2
|Railyard BBQ Fest (Backyard)
|Thrills N Grills (Master & Backyard)
|Red, White, Blue BBQ Competiton
|Big Island BBQ Backyard
||Albert Lea, MN
|Kick It In the Sticks (Backyard & Kids Que)
|Agribition Supreme BBQ & One Meat Contest
||Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
APRIL 21, 2021
Members attending Charlie Brinza, Debbie Yopp, Candy Weaver, Corey Linton,
Joni Wittman, Karrin Murphy, Emily Detwiler and Myron Berry
Meeting began at 12:02 pm
There are two applications for contests that are under the 150-mile guideline. Cumming, Ga and Marble NC July 30-31, 2021
After discussion the committee recommends approval of sanctioning both contests.
A discussion was held about holding multiple Sanctioned One Meat Stand Alone contests on the same day. David McAllister had notified the committee that a question had been raised about the turn in times between the two separate contests as there are no guidelines on the minimum amount of time on turn ins between multiple two contests.
After discussion, the committee recommends that a minimum of one hour be required for turn in times for multiple Sanctioned One Meat Stand Alone contests held on the same day.
Meeting adjourned at 12:23pm
Myron Berry, Chair
Invitees: Chiles Cridlin, Emily Detwiler, Rick Wagner, Amy Acock, Dave Grousnick, Nancy Goldsmith, Jennifer Eggleton, Frank Gonzales, George DeMartz, Kelly McIntosh, Bill Jones, Dave Druetzler, Paul Buob
Not in attendance – Emily Detwiler, Rick Wagner Jennifer Eggleton, Kelly McIntosh, Amy Acock,
Ongoing Agenda Items
- Goals for the 2021 CBJ Committee.
- Develop Online or Web Based 2022 Certification Update Training course (In progress)
- Develop Online or Web Based CBJ Training for new judges (Not started)
- Review of conceptual updates to the KCBS Scoring System (100%)
- Define Objectives (This is a separate document 75%)
- Determine content (Most common misconceptions as seen in the judging tent 50%)
- Develop a story board (not started)
- Build test questions (not started)
- Start with the ones we have and review them first.
- Create questions based on new content and objectives
- Write script (25%)
- Choose LMS Platform (KCBS.US website has the capability) (Not started)
- Gather media needed (Not started)
- Assemble video or training program (Not started)
- Beta testing, review and deploy (Not started)
- Update related documents
- CBJ Training manual (Not started)
- Reps manual
- Rep Advisory manual and Redacted Rep Advisory Manual (handed off to Nancy Goldsmith) (100%)
- Judging Tri-fold (part of the Rules pamphlet)
- Judges MP3 (currently under review again)
- Determine if there are others
Contest Representative Committee
- New Agenda Items –
- Discussion of new MP3 that was released for the KCBS Judges meetings
- The goal is to encourage judge’s review their own scoring habits to determine if they are consistently lower than their table average, use the KCBS Judges portal to review their scores and to encourage more comment cards.
KCBS Rep Meeting Minutes April 13, 2021
The Rep Committee meeting was called to order at 6:30 pm by Chairman Ralph Williams. Members and invited guests present were: Ralph Williams, Emily Detwiler, Karrin Murphy, David McAllister, Alan Rothrock, Scott Grinstead, Scott Grinstead, Julie Poe, Jeanne Titus, Debby Gage, David Druetzler, Mike Winter, Phil Morro
David McAllister discussed with the group the idea of making a list of changes different from the old Rep manual and the new Rep manual.
General discussion centered around the current requirements for an individual to become a KCBS contest Rep. The general consensus was it is time to relax the basic requirements to help broaden the potential pool of Rep candidates.
Some questions asked were:
1. Does a person need to be a master judge? If not, what is a good number of judging sessions for a person to have judged or served as a table captain?
2. We need a specific guide as to what a Rep in Training will do at each training session.
3. Have a self-check checklist of attributes a Rep in Training possess
4. Have the Training Assignment Confirmation completed after each training by the supervising contest Rep(s).
5. Complete a minimum of 4 training sessions and if necessary, any additional sessions that are recommended by the Rep committee
6. If needed, be assigned to a mentor for additional review of procedures
A motion to the BOD, for an unspecified amount of time, to suspend the current Rep In Training Criteria
Each committee member was asked to submit suggestions for what needs to be covered during each of the Rep In Training sessions. This compilation of suggestions will be complied, and a new training format will be developed. The Rep committee will review the revisions prior to placing the new format into action.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:32 p.m. by Ralph Williams
General All Rep Meeting
April 12, 2021 – A zoom meeting was held at 7:00 pm for all Reps. Approximately 51 Reps were in attendance along with our CEO. Items discussed were: Covid Procedures, Lead Rep, new invoices, Turkey Smoke, Pork Council, Sanitizing of turn-in boxes, Foundation Scholarships, Outlier judges and script / MP3. Meeting was adjourned at 8:35 pm.
The Committee met on 4/13/21 at 7pm. In attendance were Dave Edyburn (IL), Nancy Goldsmith (Chair. IA), Mike Megyesi (MI), Priscilla Smith (OH), Beth Salzl (MN)
- The completed applications are under review and decisions regarding awards will be made at the May Committee meeting, at which time a report will be submitted to the BOD.
- Discussion regarding changes to the 2022 process and criteria. Changes will be made to the essay questions and possibly to scholarship eligibility. Work on this will continue over the summer after this year’s scholarship decisions are made.
- Several ideas were discussed, particularly in relation to the World Invitational. The committee will definitely run a 50/50 raffle, but other ideas are also being considered.
- Foundation Committee is working with Rep Committee to develop an acceptable statement to be read at every contest to increase awareness about the KCBS Foundation.