Kansas City Barbeque Society
Membership Requests to Address the Board:
Board of Directors’ Meeting Agenda
Tuesday November 23, 2021, 6:00pm
Call to Order
Candy Weaver, Randy Bigler, David Qualls, Richard Fergola, David McAllister, Myron Berry, Chiles Cridlin, Rick Wagner, Ralph Williams, Nancy Goldsmith, Stan Dobosenski, Corey Linton
KCBS Office: Emily Detwiler
Recognizing barbeque as America’s cuisine, the mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form.
I accept my duties as a KCBS director to further the KCBS mission so that truth, justice, excellence in barbeque and the American way of life may be strengthened and preserved forever.
Notice concerning Committee Reports. Some committees do not meet monthly, If a report is presented, it will be included as attachments to the Agenda.
Discussion of any items removed from Consent Agenda
Chief Executive Officer’s Report
- Minutes of October 26, and November 8, 2021, Meeting
- October 2021 Financial Report
- Finance Committee
- Contest Report
- Sanctioning Committee
- Judging Committee
- Contest Representative Committee
- Rules Committee
- Foundation Committee
- Nominating Committee
Closed Session Agenda:
Legal, Financial, and Real Estate Reports
Foundation Committee Report
- Discussion and Consideration of Approving the application for a contest under the 90 day guideline approval in Lake Wells, FL on Jan 7-8, 2021
- Discussion and Consideration of Allowing Backyard teams to earn Backyard Points when competing in Single Meat contests.
- President’s Report of Goals and Projects for the year
Marketing and Promotions
Discussion Sanctioning Programs
Contest Representative Reports
After Closed Session:
The Board may take any necessary actions including Motions on any or all matters discussed in closed session
Adjourn or Suspend
Attachments and Reports
|BOD Approval –
|In-House Approval –
|Mission Farm's King of the Farm
||Iron Station, NC
|Vienna BBQ Days 2022 - Day 1
|Vienna BBQ Days 2022 - Day 2
|Heritage Days BBQ Showdown - Day 1
|Heritage Days BBQ Showdown - Day 2
|Pigmaster's BBQ Challenge
||Connelly Springs, NC
|Ribs, Rods & Rock N Roll
|Vista BBQ Competition
|Original SD BBQ Championship
|Original SD BBQ Championship - One Meat Ribs
|Western Legends BBQ Contest
|Fo.G & Smoke
|Tri City BBQ Fest
|BBQ, Boots & Brew
|Smoke on the Mountain BBQ Championship
|Bring'n Home the Bacon II Day 1 (Backyard)
||West Salem, WI
|Bring'n Home the Bacon II Day 2 (Backyard)
||West Salem, WI
|Smokin' in the Creek BBQ Contest
||Sugar Creek, MO
|Minnesota in May
|Minnesota in May (Backyard)
|Minnesota in May - One Meat Ribs
|3rd Wild King BBQ Contest - Day 2
|Smoke, Wind & Fire
|Smoke, Wind & Fire (Backyard)
|BBQ Boogie & Blues
|The Great Kearney BBQ Smoke-Out
|Beat the Heat BBQ & Brews
|Sand Creek Summer Daze Saucy & Glazed BBQ Competition
|Smoke in the Grove - Day 1
||Spring Grove, PA
|Smoke in the Grove - Day 2
||Spring Grove, PA
|Bone Suckin Sauce Peak City Pig Fest
|Central Plains Ribfest
|17th Annual HANOR Smokin' Red Dirt BBQ
|Shelby BBQ Extravaganza - Day 1
|Shelby BBQ Extravaganza - Day 2
|Twin Valley Fire and Smoke
|Bands & BBQ at the Point
|The Robertson County Fair Assoc.
Barbeque Throwdown (Competitor's Series)
Sanctioning Committee will have a item on New Business for approval of a contest within the 90 day requirement,
Invitees: - Chiles Cridlin, Emily Detwiler, Rick Wagner, Amy Acock, Julie Poe, Nancy Goldsmith, Frank Gonzales, George DeMartz, Kelly McIntosh, Bill Jones, Dave Druetzler, Paul Buob, Candy Weaver
Not in attendance – Emily Detwiler, Rick Wagner, Amy Acock, Candy Weaver,
New Agenda Items –
- JCUP and JSSP progress review.
- The JSSP Program modules 2 thru 5 were reviewed.
- Module 2 and test questions look great. A few suggestions were made.
- Module 3 reviewed and test questions completed.
- Module 4 reviewed and test questions completed.
- Module 5 reviewed, the Judges Code of Conduct was missing from the video, will follow up with the team as to a direction, but new content will be required.
- Outstanding Judge Nominations or submissions.
- Reviewed, delivered and announced at the KCBS World Invitational. Congratulations to:
- . John Aboud, Chris Canada, Brian DeCoud, Bruce Lederer, William Moth and Bruce Robb.
Ongoing Agenda Items
- Ongoing Goals for the 2021 CBJ Committee.
- Develop online or web based certification update training course (In progress)
- Review of conceptual updates to the KCBS Scoring System (100%)
- Define Objectives (This is a separate document 100%)
- Determine content (100%)
- Develop a story board (Start after August 1st) (100% complete).
- Choose LMS Platform (KCBS.US website has the capability) (100%)
- Create RFP and send out by 7/30/2021 (sent out 8/2/2021) (100%)
- Gather media needed (95% complete)
- Build test bank questions (Start after August 1st) 90% complete
- Assemble video for CE program (80%)
- Beta testing, review and deploy (Not started)
- Update related documents
- Review of current KCBS Judge training class material (Nancy Goldsmith, started)
- CBJ Training manual update (Not started)
- Reps manual update (Not started)
- Rep Advisory manual and Redacted Rep Advisory Manual (handed off to Nancy Goldsmith) (100%)
- Judging Tri-fold (part of the Rules pamphlet) Completed by Rules.
- Judges MP3 (100%)
- How to grow the list of teams willing to host a CBJ that needs to cook with a team for their CBJ Masters.
- Update 10/18/2021 – Review a way to help encourage Reps as “match makers” to bring CBJ Master Candidates to teams that are willing to host and may be good fit.
- Bull Sheet and other communications requesting teams is not working
- Request to have an announcement added during the cooks meeting.
- The office has completed a three year review as to teams that have hosted judges.
- Possibility of creating new way of tracking teams that host and having an award or recognition for the team that hosts the most in any given TOY year.
- Use social media to highlight the teams and judges (picture submission, quick judge write up, etc.).
Closing – Any additional questions or concerns that are provided.
Rules met by zoom on Tuesday 11/16/2021
.Wozniak, Franklin, Fleetwood were present.
Ongoing kids Q Rules was worked on. Other committee members are in on the effort via email.
Meeting adjourned at 8:05.