KCBS Board of Directors Regular Meeting Quick Notes For November 23, 2021
Kansas City Barbeque Society
Membership Requests to Address the Board:
Board of Directors’ Quick Notes
Tuesday November 23, 2021, 6:00pm
Call to Order
Meeting was called to order at 6:08pm
Candy Weaver, Randy Bigler, David Qualls, David McAllister, Myron Berry, Chiles Cridlin, Rick Wagner, Ralph Williams, Nancy Goldsmith, Stan Dobosenski
KCBS Office: Emily Detwiler Absent: Corey Linton, Richard Fergola
Recognizing barbeque as America’s cuisine, the mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form.
I accept my duties as a KCBS director to further the KCBS mission so that truth, justice, excellence in barbeque and the American way of life may be strengthened and preserved forever.
Notice concerning Committee Reports. Some committees do not meet monthly, If a report is presented, it will be included as attachments to the Agenda.
Ralph Williams - I Move to Approve the Consent Agenda
Second- Goldsmith – Motion Passed Unanimously
Discussion of any items removed from Consent Agenda
Chief Executive Officer’s Report
- Minutes of October 26, and November 8, 2021, Meeting
- October 2021 Financial Report
- Finance Committee
- Contest Report
- Sanctioning Committee
- Judging Committee
- Contest Representative Committee
- Rules Committee
- Foundation Committee
- Nominating Committee
- The KCBS office will be closed the following dates for the holidays:
- November 25 and 26 for Thanksgiving
- Closing early on December 23 and closed December 24 for Christmas
- December 31 for New Years
- Building sale is complete!
- Working with the new Owner on transfer of all property management, utilities, etc.
- KCBS will remain as a tenant. Office address will remain 2519 Madison Ave. Ste 100 Kansas City, MO 64108.
Steak Program Updates:
- We have been seeing improvement with issues with email bouncing/blocking. Working with Staff and Tech provider on scrubbing email list, identifying issues and clearing blocks with the various email providers (i.e. Yahoo, AOL, SBC/ATT, etc.).
World Invitational Workgroup:
- Creekstone Farms participated in the KCBSWI with a Steak Demonstration on Thursday, November 11th. A lot of great questions from pitmasters about upcoming events and securing of steaks.
- Judging – Currently working on the online judging process, including video editing of educational modules and the LMS testing portal within KCBS website.
- Manager of Steak Program – Kelly Wertz has started as the face of the program; interfacing with Organizers, reps, office, influencers, etc. He has hosted two practice events with great feedback from judges and cooks. Thus far two practice cooks have happened with very positive feedback.
- We have also had several cooks test the process of steak delivery, cook quality and box preparation as we roll out NSC. We have received some great feedback and photos.
- Website – Continuing to update the site (https://kcbssteakchamps.com/) with links for product ordering, judge training once ready, additional photos, etc. .
- Trademark review – Registration has been filed and confirmation of such received.
- The KCBS World Invitational was successfully held in Shawnee, OK at Firelake Arena on November 12-14th. A total of 145 teams competed across all events.
- The Team of the Year banquet was held Saturday, November 13 with nearly 400 in attendance. Several people and teams were recognized this evening including the Wells Award winners - Heavy Smoke BBQ, Brian Oliver and Sterling Ball; Outstanding CBJs; Reps for their years of service; Backyard Invitational winners and the 2021 TOY winners. Many of our partners were also in attendance - NTF announced the 2022 Turkey Smoke series, Smithfield announced their 2022 WI presenting sponsorship, National Pork Board, Old World Spices/Head Country and 360 Vodka.
- The weekend garnered great media exposure with over 66 million in potential reach including stories in Yahoo News, Great Day KC and the Shawnee News-Star. We have also received positive feedback from teams, judges and partners in attendance.
- KCBS office and PR firm continue to work on media outreach for TOY and WI winners. Potential for team interviews and increased coverage in the coming weeks.
Currently for November, we are at 15,418 members which is down 1.4% from last month. November is our smallest month for renewal with around 500 members and we have seen very positive retention numbers for the month (98.5%).
- Lifetime members - We still see lifetime memberships coming in on a weekly basis. We are currently at 1508 individual lifetime memberships and 798 family lifetime memberships. Which gives us a total of 3,104 lifetime members.
- Membership renewal plan
We continue to hold a monthly renewal drawing for members, to encourage members to renew. For November, we will be giving away a KCBS Prize Package.
International membership is at 1486 which is down from last month (-1.5%) from last month. We currently have 38 countries represented in the KCBS database.
- Business Affiliate Updates
- Currently working on 2022 Business Affiliate Program Renewal and Outreach Plan. Invoices will be going out next month to Q1 Business Affiliates for renewal.
We are wrapping up our 35th anniversary celebration. We have about 6 weeks remaining in the promotion of recognizing 35 KCBS members. Thank you to our sponsors Oklahoma Joe’s, Westlake Ace Hardware and Holladay Distillery for their help on this project.
- No classes for November and December. Have lots of inquiry about classes and working on updating the organizers guide and application for 2022.
- Master Judge Candidates and 100+ candidates continue to come into the office. Currently have 1735 Master Judges and 250 members that have 100+ contests judged. We continue to get 3-5 requests per week for Master Judge candidates.
- Please remember if you do have your 30+ contests and your cook’s verification sheet, you can send to the office via email email@example.com or via mail at KCBS 2519 Madison Ave #100 Kansas City, MO 64108
- Working on efficiencies and processes for the CBJ program to help organizers, instructors and the office. Will continue to streamline things for 2022 with classes
- Judges Certification Updated Program - working with Video Soup and CBJ Committee to edit video modules and LMS modules for 2022 JCUP roll out.
PR/Earned Media: (as of 11/22/2021)
- Working on 2022 Partnership finalization. Successful partnership integration for 2021 KCBSWI event!
- 8 news articles mentioned KCBS; Potential Reach of 132 million with highest reach coming from the KCBS World Invitational and Shelby BBQ Contest.
- Total Advertising Value Equivalency (AVE) - $611k
- Social Media: October Updates
- Social Media: 104 mentions for KCBS.
- Continue to use social media to drive member conversion, promote KCBS brand, showcase our sponsors, events and provide value to our members through fun and educational content.
- In November, social media focus included the 2021 KCBSWI with daily countdown posts, promoting our partners and Team of the Year. We held a strong social media presence at the KCBSWI with several daily posts and reshares from award winners.
- Total Audience for October as of 11/22/2021
- 72,207 Facebook (KCBS-only) Followers
- 19,370 Twitter Followers
- 19,887 Instagram followers
- 2,138 YouTube subscribers
- Several social media stats improved this month over last month. The biggest call outs:
- Gained nearly 800 followers across all platforms in November
- Facebook - 58.1k people reached and 23.7k engagements (up 238%)
- Twitter - Earning 2.4k impressions a day
- Instagram - 43.4k people reached (up 305%) and 160.2k impressions
● CONTEST and EVENT UPDATES:
○ Projected # of Events for 2021:
■ 324 Contests currently scheduled for 2021
■ 37 contests have already postponed; with no new date
■ 170 contests scheduled 2022 with more coming in weekly
■ 23 CBJ, 5 TC of Classes in 2021. 7 CBJ, 3 TC Classes scheduled for 2022
● 2021 ToY Program
● Getting shipping costs to email to teams that didn’t attend the KCBSWI.
- 2022 TOY will be live on December 1st.
November– 32.91% Open rate among 14,215 members who received Bullsheet.
● Meat Sheet mid-month newsletter
32.81% open rate
- Candidate information and responses to questionnaires will be available in both the December and January edition of the digital Bullsheet. It will also be posted to the KCBS website on December 1, 2021.
- Worked with IT provider to ensure the site is properly configured with 2022 candidates’ information
- Voting will go live on www.kcbs.us on January 2, 2022. Voting will close at 11:59pm CST on January 16, 2022. Election results will be announced on January 18, 2022.
- Members in good standing will be able to enter the secure Members Only Voting Booth where they may cast up to three (3) votes for the nominees you choose. Once you press the Submit button on your ballot, you cannot return to the voting booth. All votes are final.
Myron Berry - I move to Approve The Application of The Southern Sunshine BBQ COntestLake Wells, FL on Jan 7-8, 2021
Second- Bigler – Motion Passed Unanimously
- Discussion and Consideration of Approving the application for a contest under the 90 day guideline approval in Lake Wells, FL on Jan 7-8, 2021
- Discussion and Consideration of Allowing Backyard teams to earn Backyard Points when competing in Single Meat contests.
Closed Session Agenda:
Legal, Financial, and Real Estate Reports
Foundation Committee Report
- President’s Report of Goals and Projects for the year
Marketing and Promotions
Discussion Sanctioning Programs
Contest Representative Reports
Randy Bigler- I Move to Enter in to Closed Session
Second- Goldsmith – Motion Passed Unanimously
Entered Closed Session at 6:48PM
Board Returned to Open Session at 7:24PM
After Closed Session:
The Board may take any necessary actions including Motions on any or all matters discussed in closed session
Adjourn or Suspend
Randy Bigler- I Move to Adjourn
Weaver– Motion Passed Unanimously
Meeting Adjourned at 7:25PM
Attachments and Reports
|BOD Approval –
|In-House Approval –
|Mission Farm's King of the Farm
||Iron Station, NC
|Vienna BBQ Days 2022 - Day 1
|Vienna BBQ Days 2022 - Day 2
|Heritage Days BBQ Showdown - Day 1
|Heritage Days BBQ Showdown - Day 2
|Pigmaster's BBQ Challenge
||Connelly Springs, NC
|Ribs, Rods & Rock N Roll
|Vista BBQ Competition
|Original SD BBQ Championship
|Original SD BBQ Championship - One Meat Ribs
|Western Legends BBQ Contest
|Fo.G & Smoke
|Tri City BBQ Fest
|BBQ, Boots & Brew
|Smoke on the Mountain BBQ Championship
|Bring'n Home the Bacon II Day 1 (Backyard)
||West Salem, WI
|Bring'n Home the Bacon II Day 2 (Backyard)
||West Salem, WI
|Smokin' in the Creek BBQ Contest
||Sugar Creek, MO
|Minnesota in May
|Minnesota in May (Backyard)
|Minnesota in May - One Meat Ribs
|3rd Wild King BBQ Contest - Day 2
|Smoke, Wind & Fire
|Smoke, Wind & Fire (Backyard)
|BBQ Boogie & Blues
|The Great Kearney BBQ Smoke-Out
|Beat the Heat BBQ & Brews
|Sand Creek Summer Daze Saucy & Glazed BBQ Competition
|Smoke in the Grove - Day 1
||Spring Grove, PA
|Smoke in the Grove - Day 2
||Spring Grove, PA
|Bone Suckin Sauce Peak City Pig Fest
|Central Plains Ribfest
|17th Annual HANOR Smokin' Red Dirt BBQ
|Shelby BBQ Extravaganza - Day 1
|Shelby BBQ Extravaganza - Day 2
|Twin Valley Fire and Smoke
|Bands & BBQ at the Point
|The Robertson County Fair Assoc.
Barbeque Throwdown (Competitor's Series)
Sanctioning Committee will have a item on New Business for approval of a contest within the 90 day requirement,
Invitees: - Chiles Cridlin, Emily Detwiler, Rick Wagner, Amy Acock, Julie Poe, Nancy Goldsmith, Frank Gonzales, George DeMartz, Kelly McIntosh, Bill Jones, Dave Druetzler, Paul Buob, Candy Weaver
Not in attendance – Emily Detwiler, Rick Wagner, Amy Acock, Candy Weaver,
New Agenda Items –
- JCUP and JSSP progress review.
- The JSSP Program modules 2 thru 5 were reviewed.
- Module 2 and test questions look great. A few suggestions were made.
- Module 3 reviewed and test questions completed.
- Module 4 reviewed and test questions completed.
- Module 5 reviewed, the Judges Code of Conduct was missing from the video, will follow up with the team as to a direction, but new content will be required.
- Outstanding Judge Nominations or submissions.
- Reviewed, delivered and announced at the KCBS World Invitational. Congratulations to:
- . John Aboud, Chris Canada, Brian DeCoud, Bruce Lederer, William Moth and Bruce Robb.
Ongoing Agenda Items
- Ongoing Goals for the 2021 CBJ Committee.
- Develop online or web based certification update training course (In progress)
- Review of conceptual updates to the KCBS Scoring System (100%)
- Define Objectives (This is a separate document 100%)
- Determine content (100%)
- Develop a story board (Start after August 1st) (100% complete).
- Choose LMS Platform (KCBS.US website has the capability) (100%)
- Create RFP and send out by 7/30/2021 (sent out 8/2/2021) (100%)
- Gather media needed (95% complete)
- Build test bank questions (Start after August 1st) 90% complete
- Assemble video for CE program (80%)
- Beta testing, review and deploy (Not started)
- Update related documents
- Review of current KCBS Judge training class material (Nancy Goldsmith, started)
- CBJ Training manual update (Not started)
- Reps manual update (Not started)
- Rep Advisory manual and Redacted Rep Advisory Manual (handed off to Nancy Goldsmith) (100%)
- Judging Tri-fold (part of the Rules pamphlet) Completed by Rules.
- Judges MP3 (100%)
- How to grow the list of teams willing to host a CBJ that needs to cook with a team for their CBJ Masters.
- Update 10/18/2021 – Review a way to help encourage Reps as “match makers” to bring CBJ Master Candidates to teams that are willing to host and may be good fit.
- Bull Sheet and other communications requesting teams is not working
- Request to have an announcement added during the cooks meeting.
- The office has completed a three year review as to teams that have hosted judges.
- Possibility of creating new way of tracking teams that host and having an award or recognition for the team that hosts the most in any given TOY year.
- Use social media to highlight the teams and judges (picture submission, quick judge write up, etc.).
Closing – Any additional questions or concerns that are provided.
Rules met by zoom on Tuesday 11/16/2021
.Wozniak, Franklin, Fleetwood were present.
Ongoing kids Q Rules was worked on. Other committee members are in on the effort via email.
Meeting adjourned at 8:05.