KCBS BOD Meeting Quick Notes April 12, 2022Kansas City Barbeque Society
Board of Directors’ Meeting Agenda
Tuesday April 12, 2022 6:00pm
Membership Requests to Address the Board:
Call to Order
Stan Dobosenski, David McAllister, Myron Berry, Joel Fleetwood, Chiles Cridlin, Cliff Davis, Nancy Goldsmith, Corey Linton, Jeanne Titus, Rick Wagner, Ralph Williams
KCBS Office: Emily Detwiler
Recognizing barbeque as America’s cuisine, the mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form.
I accept my duties as a KCBS director to further the KCBS mission so that truth, justice, excellence in barbeque and the American way of life may be strengthened and preserved forever.
Notice concerning Committee Reports. Some committees do not meet monthly, If a report is presented, it will be included as attachments to the Agenda.
Discussion of any items removed from Consent Agenda
Nancy Goldsmith, moves to accept the consent agenda, minus the CBJ committee and Sanctioning committee reports
Rick Wagner 2nd
Motion passes unanimously
- Minutes of March 8, 2022 board meeting
- Financial Report
- Finance Committee
- Contest Report
- Sanctioning Committee
- Judging Committee
- Contest Representative Committee
- Rules Committee
- Foundation Committee
- Nominating Committee
Discussion around “BBQ Match” and how that would work to help judges looking to cook with a team for their Master’s cook. Goal is making the experience easier, and keeping privacy of members in tact.
Discussion of contest conflict September 24, 2022
Cliff Davis: I move to not sanction Decatur, AL contest on 9/24
Jeanne Titus 2nd
Motion passes with Myron Berry Abstaining
Chief Executive Officer’s Report
Steak Program Updates:
- We continue to see an improvement in email bouncing/blocking due to work on scrubbing email list, identifying issues and clearing blocks with the various email providers (i.e. Yahoo, AOL, SBC/ATT, etc.).
- Reviewing proposal from data scientist on predictive analytics. Working with CBJ and Rep committee chairs to get program requirements so Tech committee can provide an approximate timeline
World Invitational Workgroup:
- Had our first NSC event in Altoona, IA on Friday, April 1st. It featured 18 teams with Smokey Boys taking home first place. Next event was Smoke in the Spring in Osage City on April 8th, followed by Smokin’ in the Creek on April 22nd.
- The Judges Steak Series Program (JSSP) has fully rolled out and we are very happy to report that more than 1,300 KCBS members have taken the online program.
- Partnership with Creekstone Farms & Snake River has been very positive. Creekstone Farms is actively promoting the NSC competitions and working with promoters. We are also pleased to report that KC local grilling stores will be carrying the steaks in their stores and hope to roll out the opportunity in other markets. We are also working on setting up demos at those stores too.
- Website – Continuing to update the site (https://kcbssteakchamps.com/) with links for product ordering, judge training once ready, additional photos, etc. .
- The JSSP pins have arrived and are being sent out to contest reps for KCBS members to pick up from at contests. KCBS members need to show their JSSP Certificate or their KCBS membership card with the S-CBJ to receive a pin.
- Receiving proposals from potential locations based on RFP. Will work through various options to provide the best opportunity for ‘22.
- Narrowed down locations to finalists
- Workgroup will review and discuss potential locations to share back with the full BOD.
- Master Series division pitmasters must have won Grand Champion or Reserve Grand Champion at a KCBS-sanctioned barbeque contest between January 1, 2020 and July 31, 2022.
- Backyard Series pitmasters must win 1st place Ribs or 1st place Chicken at a KCBS-sanctioned Backyard contest between Jan. 1, 2020 and July 31, 2022.
- Rules: Use the 2022 season rules for all contests
- Banquet: Keep Banquet/KCBSWI together for 2022. Optimize structure of the various days to drive engagement while allowing for maximum prep time for cooks and judge utilization.
We had another great month for membership in March, ending the month with 15,914 members, up from last month and last year. We are still seeing people reinstate their membership and want to get back to judging and cooking. This past month we reinstated another 27 members, which is on pace with what we were seeing in Q4 of ‘21.
- New members - For March, we had 260 new members, which is up (+2%) from last month, and up 27.5% compared to March ‘21. Many of our new members were coming from our CBJ classes in Union City, TN; Johnston, IA; and Marietta, OH. We continue to promote our family membership program, as people look to add their spouse, partner or child.
- Renewals members - It has been a very positive month for renewals with over 90% renewal rating. Continue to trend very positively in this direction as many people are looking to start judging and cooking again.
- Lifetime members - We are happy to see how many people are still converting their membership to lifetime status. This is great convenience for members that have forgotten in the past and just want to pay a one-time fee for membership.
We continue to hold a monthly renewal drawing for members, to encourage members to renew.
2022 KCBS Pins still available for purchase at the KCBS Gear Shop
. Pins are $5 or if you purchase $20 or more from the KCBS Gear Shop, the pin is FREE. Ask KCBS Reps at contest if they have them for purchase on-site.
Dropped Member Come-Back Program
We continue to focus on lapsed membership with email reminders and in April we sent out a direct mail piece to former KCBS members to reactivate them.
International membership is at 1,635. We currently are in 37 countries. JCUP will be especially beneficial for International CBJ’s that have not been able to judge due to the impact of COVID.
Business Affiliate Updates:
- We are happy to report that due to the early success of the Judges Certification Update Program, we were able to roll out to ALL KCBS CBJs well ahead of our timeline. It has currently been rolled out to all KCBS CBJs. As of 4/7/22 we have had 1.141 KCBS members complete. If you get people with questions about the test, please direct them to email@example.com. We have also created a one-sheet for contest reps to help with any questions they receive about the test from judges. It can be found in the rep portal.
- Very positive feedback coming in from those who have taken and/or completed JCUP; stating it was an easy process, they learned something, they felt “refreshed” and current on judging procedures and liked the video format.
PR/Earned Media for March 2022: (as of 4/7/2022)
- CBJ & Table Captain Classes:
- For April, we have nine (9) classes scheduled including CA, WI, MO and SD.
- Class sizes continue to exceed expectations.
- Currently working on beta-testing a new digital handout for classes. This will allow KCBS to be more sustainable, more flexible with class sizes with last minute registrations, etc. It will be tested at a couple of April classes.
- Master Judge Candidates and 100+ candidates continue to come into the office. Currently we have 1752 Master Judges and 256 members that have 100+ contests judged. Candidates for Master Judge status to submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org their contest verification sheets and cooking sheet or via mail at KCBS 2519 Madison Ave #100 Kansas City, MO 64108.
Social Media: March Updates
- 44 news articles mentioned KCBS in March; Potential Reach of 111 million with highest reach coming from upcoming contests such as Grillin and Chillin, Jiggy with the Piggy Fest and Kentucky Bourbon Festival.
- Total Advertising Value Equivalency (AVE) - $1 million
Continue to use social media to drive member conversion, promote KCBS brand, showcase our sponsors, events and provide value to our members through fun and educational content.
- In March, social media focus included the launch of the Johnny Trigg Shootout, continued outreach for the National Steak Championships and continued member features.
- Total Audience as of 4/7/2022:
- 73,110 Facebook (KCBS-only) Followers
- 19,760 Twitter Followers
- 20,566 Instagram followers
- 2,327 YouTube subscribers
- Increased viewership on all social media platforms.
- Beginning to do more with LinkedIn page to drive brand awareness, sponsorship engagement and membership opportunities
- Several social media stats improved this month over last month. The biggest call outs:
- Gained nearly 650 followers across all platforms through March
- Over 460k impressions across all platforms in March
- Facebook - Over 325k impressions, average engagement rate of 3%
- Twitter - 32k impressions (up 10% from last month)
- Instagram - 105k impressions. Reached 10% more accounts than previous month.
- Bullsheet April– 54.25% Open rate among 14,493 members who received Bullsheet.
● Meat Sheet mid-month newsletter
March 49% open rate among 14,559 members
CONTEST and EVENT UPDATES:
40 Contests Completed in 2022 (calendar year)
64 Contests Completed in 2022 Season (November 1, 2021 - April 10, 2022)
369 Contests Projected for 2022 (calendar year - as of April 10, 2022)
211 Master Contests
97 Backyard Contests
61 Kids Q contests
27 One-Meat Contests
8 Competitor’s Contests
7 Steak Contests
41 International Contests
26 Contests Canceled for 2022
8 Contests Postponed in 2022
13 Contests Scheduled for 2023
31 CBJ Classes Scheduled
24 TC Classes Scheduled
-Johnny Trigg shootout has gone live in Texas markets. Promoting across all platforms to drive sign-ups among both Cooks, Judges and for CBJ classes.
- Amarillo & Cedar Park contests completed. Combined total of 67 teams competed. 6 KCBS teams have competed in both contests. 36 KCBS members, 30 non KCBS members, and 1 dropped member.
- Still have a few spots available for additional contests.
- KCBS Gear store with merchandise options has gone live. https://kcbsstore.spiritsale.com/ Pins and hats for participants to purchase will be available on-site.
- Application timeframe has ended.
- 14 students have completed the application.
- Philanthropy committee will review scholarships for evaluation.
- Once again, our International Contest and Class activity in Europe has been curtailed by the Ukraine/Russian conflict. Lithuania has put their BBQ events on hold and is no longer advertising their venue of the contest location and dates of other planned activities. Denmark will not confirm their May Contest Date and now we are in a “wait and see” mode until further notice.
- Fortunately, Costa Rica held and Nova Scotia is still planning to hold their events. Building interest in one-meat contests internationally.
- Craig and Heather Maidens have been appointed as International Instructors and will begin training in Eastern Canada.
- Working on Seal of Approval program in Europe.
- Conveyed the following focus areas to IBOM: reaffirm that the focus for 2022 and largely into 2023 should be continuing to focus on building back our existing countries/markets versus focus on new, unknown markets.
- Discussion and Consideration of sanctioning application for a one meat contest in Oconomowoc, WI on May 14, 2020. Application was received less than 90 days out.
- Myron Berry: I move to approve the BBQ Blessings Contest for 5/14
- Cliff Davis 2nd
- Motion passes unanimously
Closed Session Agenda:
Myron: I move to enter closed session
Motion passed unanimously
Discussion of Legal, Financial, and Real Estate
After Closed Session:
- Discussion and Consideration of a motion for CBJ's returning to KCBS as active members after more than 18 months of a lapsed membership. KCBS currently requires that a CBJ is to attend or audit an in person CBJ class before returning to the judging tent if there has been more than an 18 month lapse in membership. The proposed motion shall read: "Any CBJ returning to KCBS after more than an 18 month lapse in membership may alternatively take the JCUP, and upon a successful passing, shall be considered to meet the requirements as an alternative to taking or auditing an in person CBJ class".
- Chiles Cridlin: I move to allow Any CBJ returning to KCBS after more than an 18 month lapse in membership may alternatively take the JCUP, and upon a successful passing, shall be considered to meet the requirements as an alternative to taking or auditing an in person CBJ class
- Rick Wagner 2nd
- Motion passes unanimously
The Board may take any necessary actions including Motions on any or all matters discussed in closed session
Adjourn or Suspend
- Ralph Williams: I motion to utilize updated table population chart for determining the number of tables of judges at a contest.
- Nancy Goldsmith 2nd
- Motion passes unanimously
Meeting is adjourned at 7:37 pm
Attachments and Reports
- Nancy Goldsmith: I motion to adjourn
- Ralph Williams 2nd
- Motion passes unanimously
|BOD Approval –
|In-house Approval –
|9th Annual Santa Anita Winners' Circle BBQ Championship - Day 2
|Slab-O-Rama Barbeque Challenge
||Bullhead City, AZ
|Railyard BBQ Brawl
|Colorado Rib Challenge at the Douglas County Fair & Rodeo - One Meat Rib
||Castle Rock, CO
|Hammond BBQ, Inc. (BACKYARD ONLY)
|King of the Corn
|Tom Brigham Memorial BBQ
|Go Hog Wild BBQ
|World Championship Hot Wing Contest & Festival (COMPETITORS)
|American Royal World Series of Barbecue Rub Contest
||Kansas City, MO
|City of Springs BBQ Championship (One Meat Ribs 2)
|2nd Annual VFW Post 3396 Armed Forces BBQ Challenge (ONE MEAT RIBS)
|Best of the Midwest
||Union Grove, WI
|Mission Q (Backyard Only)
|Ribs at the Rickhouse
|Smoke & Soul Fest
|Cherokee Strip BBQ & Chili Cook-Off (One Meat Ribs)
||Ponca City, OK
||Saue Parish, Estonia
|Bedford BBQ Contest
|2022 Mazatzal Grill Masters BBQ Competition & Testicle Festival
|Smoke N' the Valley
||Moose Jaw, SK, Canada
|Scottsboro BBQ Festival (Backyard & Kids Que Only)
|The Art of BBQ
|CBCA Clayton BBQ Cook-off (BACKYARD)
|Green Mountain BBQ Championship - CAMPGROUND BBQ SERIES (Day 1)
|Green Mountain BBQ Championship - CAMPGROUND BBQ SERIES (Day 2)
|Green Mountain BBQ Championship - Master of Ribs - Saturday Night (ONE MEAT RIBS)
|Roast N Boast - Rib Roast (ONE MEAT RIBS)
|Hill City Wine, Brew & BBQ Fest (Steak)
||Hill City, SD
SANCTIONING COMMITTEE MEETING
APRIL 6, 2022
Attending: Emily Detwiler, Karrin Murphy, Sherry Byler, Alan Rothrock,
Stan Dobosenski, Jeanne Titus, Cliff Davis, Laurie Tweeten, Debbie Yopp and Myron Berry
Meeting began at 12:02PM
We had one contest conflict with having received an application from Decatur, Al for a Master series contest on September 24, 2022. There is a sanctioned contest in Saltilo, TN on the same date and they are 114 miles apart. After discussion the committee recommends that the BOD should not approve the Decatur contest due to the close proximity of both cities.
With the committee still discussing at a Master Series Two meat contest, the KCBS office will send a survey out to all cooks.
Meeting adjourned at 12:41PM
KCBS CBJ Committee Meeting Agenda
March 29th, 2022
Invitees: - Chiles Cridlin, Emily Detwiler, Stan Dobosenski, Amy Acock, Julie Poe, Nancy Goldsmith, Frank Gonzales, George DeMartz, Kelly McIntosh, Bill Jones, Dave Druetzler, Paul Buob, Cliff Brockman, Tom Colla
Not in attendance – Frank Gonzales, Paul Buob, Cliff Brockman
- JSSP progress review.
- The JSSP Program is LIVE!
- 1532 passes from 1311 unique members successfully passed already!
- Working on a random award for 12 participating judges for social media posts.
- JCUP progress review.
- The JCUP Program is available to all CBJ’s.
- 1482 passes from 1201 unique CBJ’s have successfully passed!
- Continuation of feedback to be incorporated into future releases.
- Proposing a motion that JCUP could meet requirements to return to judging after a 18 month laps in CBJ membership.
- Develop program considerations for full Online CBJ course to determine if viable and how it would work. Not a replacement for traditional in person class, but an alternative.
- Develop requirements.
- How long? – Four hours maximum?
- How many videos? Create new vs use existing content?
- Will incorporate all content from the current slide deck as well as JCUP content.
- Develop program considerations for Online Table Captain class.
- CBJ requirement not required.
- Develop program considerations for an “Online Food Handlers Certification” for all members.
- Connection made with https://www.statefoodsafety.com/Support.
- Goal to be little or no cost to KCBS to develop.
- Goal to have members that pass to receive a certificate that will be accepted in multiple states or nationwide.
- Develop program considerations for a new KCBS web page that could link cook teams with Judges that need to cook for their MCBJ requirement. Conversation had with Veith, need to get our CEO a write up.
- Today, judges either rely on Reps to make the introduction or have to call in to get a list of willing teams. Many judges find teams unapproachable.
- Could possibly work like “BBQ Match” and swipe up or down.
- Develop incentives for teams (awards or recognition).
- Develop and consider documenting requirements or goals for CBJ’s to accomplish while cooking with a cook team.
- Develop program considerations for a new, next generation CBJ seating program.
- Dubbed “The Electronic Chip Draw”, use what we know and then full random selection for what we do not. Judges need NOT to be concerned that their scoring would influence being chosen for a contest. Could also be used to help maintain Judge volunteer signatures given.
- Very dependent upon statistical analysis being requested by the Tech Workgroup.
- Would rely heavily on KCBS Rep Committee input for usability and functionality.
- Initial functionality requirements started by the Reps on the CBJ committee, passed off to Tech committee for review before sending to the Rep committee.
Closing – Any additional questions or concerns that are provided.
Contest Representative Committee
KCBS Rep Committee Meeting
April 4, 2022
The Rep Committee meeting was called to order by Chairman Ralph Williams. Other Rep Committee
member present were: David McAllister, Aaron Stofer, Jeanne Titus, Ian Schmidt, Mike Winter,
Debby Gage, Jonathan Williams, Stan Dobresnski, and Emily Detwiler.
Kid’s Q: There was spirited discussion as to how the new Kid’s Q rules have been received. Most of
the comments suggested refining various sections of the rules. A script is being developed to aide
Reps in the administration of the rules. Ian Schmidt and Jeanne Titus will be developing the script.
Emergency Reps: Discussion centered around two areas: when are emergency Reps needed and
how much training will be necessary. The training process would mirror a Rep In Training program.
Generally, everyone felt training was needed in all areas except the process for setting up the scoring
program. The training process would mirror a Rep In Training program. It was suggested a series of
modules similar to the JCUP be developed in the areas of: score cards, number changing, turn-in
procedures, box distribution, meeting agendas, data entry and auditing, table captain management
and playing the MP3’s. The Rep Committee would develop the scripts for each of the suggested
Master Series Table Population Chart: There was good discussion with the center of the
discussion centering on the 16-26 4 tables and 27-33 4 tables. Our cook committee members
provided good insight as to how cooks view the seating chart. After much discussion and a 100%
acceptance of the suggestions provided, only 2 areas were adjusted. The 16-24 table range would
change to 16-28 and the 27-33 table range would be adjusted to read 29-33. All other table ranges
would remain the same.
Judge Behavior: Judges were given the Code of Conduct during their initial training. Violations of
the Code would be sent to the CBJ chairman for review and the possible issuance of a Strike One
letter. This notification would be placed in their file. If a judge receives a Stike Three letter, they
would be referred to the BOD for review of their behavior.
The Rep Committee meeting was adjourned at 8:20 p.m.
Rules Committee meeting 3/16
The rules committee met at 3/16/22 at 6:00 pm CDT and discussed a question brought to us from the rep committee about an organizer judging ancillary/one meat contests on Friday night. It was decided that would not be appropriate.
We also discussed the new Kids Q rules and possible changes for next year to clean up some of the rules around Kids Q. No definitive actions were taken, just general discussion.
KANSAS CITY BARBEQUE SOCIETY
FOUNDATION COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES
March 28, 2022 7:00pm CST
Nancy Goldsmith, Beth Salzl, Priscilla Smith, Charlene Ellis, Jeanne Titus, Stan Dobosenski
- Scholarship application reviews
- As of 3 pm on 3/27/22 there were
7 completed applications
1 complete except for 1 missing reference letter
3 saved but not submitted
After 3/31/22, applications, transcripts and reference letters will be uploaded to a Dropbox and all committee members will be given access. Dropbox will also have Scoring Rubric and Scholarship Review Form, which should both be downloaded to personal computers for use. (Please do not work on Review Form in the Dropbox). Once downloaded, Review Forms should be relabeled with reviewer’s name at end of file name; once reviews are completed, forms are sent to N. Goldsmith for compilation.
Depending upon number of applications, the goal is to have reviews done in time for the April committee meeting. If not possible, will move to May meeting – final recommendations need to be submitted no later than the 6/14/22 BOD meeting.
- KCBS World Invitational
- November 10-13, 2022
- Location not chosen yet but Foundation Committee will be doing a pop-up shop
Have begun compiling information regarding potential new donors but will check with CEO to avoid any conflicts.
- Committee members should plan to attend if at all possible. Last year’s experience showed that shop needs to be staffed even during turn in times so judging opportunities will need to be “juggled.”