KCBS BOD Meeting Agenda June 14, 2022
Kansas City Barbeque Society
Board of Directors’ Meeting Agenda
Tuesday June 14, 2022 6:00pm
Membership Requests to Address the Board:
Call to Order
Stan Dobosenski, David McAllister, Myron Berry, Joel Fleetwood, Chiles Cridlin, Cliff Davis, Nancy Goldsmith, Corey Linton, Jeanne Titus, Rick Wagner, Ralph Williams
KCBS Office: Emily Detwiler
Recognizing barbeque as America’s cuisine, the mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve, and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form.
I accept my duties as a KCBS director to further the KCBS mission so that truth, justice, excellence in barbeque and the American way of life may be strengthened and preserved forever.
Notice concerning Committee Reports. Some committees do not meet monthly, If a report is presented, it will be included as attachments to the Agenda.
Discussion of any items removed from Consent Agenda
Chief Executive Officer’s Report
- Minutes of March 8, 2020 board meeting
- Financial Report
- Finance Committee
- Contest Report
- Sanctioning Committee
- Judging Committee
- Contest Representative Committee
- Rules Committee
- Foundation Committee
- Nominating Committee
Closed Session Agenda:
Discussion of Legal, Financial, and Real Estate
After Closed Session:
- Discussion of Masters’ Series Qualifications
The Board may take any necessary actions including Motions on any or all matters discussed in closed session
Adjourn or Suspend
Attachments and Reports
|BOD Approval –
|In-house Approval –
|Car-B-Que (BACKYARD ONLY)
|Kora Shriner's BBQ Competition
|Kora Shriner's BBQ Competition (ONE MEAT RIBS)
|Smokin on the Route - Steak
|Reelin N Smokin Backyard BBQ Competition (BACKYARD ONLY)
|Biloxi Blues & BBQ Festival
|Permian Basin Barbeque Cook-off (BACKYARD ONLY)
|Beats, Brews, & BBQ
|Bent Brewstillery BBQ (BACKYARD ONLY)
|Currituck Bulls & BBQ
||Powells Point, NC
|Keystone Classic BBQ State Championship
|Smoke on the River (BACKYARD ONLY)
|Saluting with Smoke (COMPETITOR'S SERIES)
|Saluting with Smoke Single Meat Rib Burn (ONE MEAT RIBS)
|The War of Barbeque (ONE MEAT RIBS)
||Isola della Scala, ITALY
|Murphysboro BBQ Cook-off/Praise the Lard
|Royal Oak Invitational Only (COMPETITOR SERIES)
|The 18th Annual Burnt Offering BBQ Contest (COMPETITORS SERIES)
|Annual Crawford County Fair BBQ Contest (ONE MEAT PORK)
SANCTIONING COMMITTEE MEETING
JUNE 8, 2022
Meeting began at 12:01 PM CST
Members in attendance: Emily Detwiler, Stan Dobosenski, Debbie Yopp, Candy Weaver, Karrin Murphy, Sherry Byler, Laurie Tweeten, Cliff Davis, Jeanne Titus, Alan Rothrock and Myron Berry
A survey to cook teams will be sent out Friday, June 10th
to approximately 5000 cooks for their input on the potential sanctioning of a Master Series 2 Meat contest.
A discussion from last months meeting about the payouts for contests was brought back to our committee this week. The current guidelines are:
- There are times when circumstances make it impossible to comply, such as the loss of a sponsor. Therefore, it is the policy of KCBS that any time prior to 90 days from the date of the contest, Organizer may seek approval from KCBS, in its sole and absolute discretion, a modification to the cash prize money, upon the following terms:
a. Organizer must in writing, state the cause for the modification.
b. All registered teams must be notified in writing (USPS) and by e-mail of the change
and have an opportunity for a full refund, any time prior to 15 days before the
c. Immediately upon approval by KCBS, if any, all applications, advertising and websites of the contest, will in a bold and conspicuous manner advertise the change and
reduction in cash prize money.
There have been several contests in the past couple of months that needed to change their payout in less than 90 days prior to their contest due to several circumstances as low team count, fewer sponsorships, etc.After discussion the committee voted to change the wording in section 4. from 90 days to 30 days. This change will be made on the 2023 applications.
Meeting adjourned at 12:42pm
Myron Berry, Chair
KCBS CBJ Committee Meeting Notes
May 31st, 2022
Invitees: - Chiles Cridlin, Emily Detwiler, Stan Dobosenski, Amy Acock, Julie Poe, Nancy Goldsmith, Frank Gonzales, George DeMartz, Kelly McIntosh, Bill Jones, Dave Druetzler, Paul Buob, Cliff Brockman, Tom Colla, Mark Gantt, Mike Kilby, Ralph Williams
Not in attendance – Amy Acock, Frank Gonzales, Paul Buob, Mike Kilby,
- JSSP and JCUP progress review (as of 6/09/2022).
- The JSSP Program 1703 passes from 1466 unique members successfully passed!
- The JCUP Program 2245 passes from 1815 unique CBJ’s have successfully passed!
- Matching the MCBJ Exam questions back to the older CBJ manual for palate cleanser
- Thank you Amy A. for updating the following documents: CBJ Manual, CBJ PPT, TC Manual, TC PPTG, Rep Manual, Organizers guide contest, Organizers guide class.
- Develop program considerations for an “Online Food Handlers Certification” for all members.
- This is complete! Thanks to all that helped make this happen and we have a new member benefit!
- Develop program considerations for Online Table Captain Certification Program (TCCP), CBJ not required.
- 90 minutes in length. Six modules covering the 31 existing slides. Possible 10 questions at the end of each module, depending on the length and number of objectives in each. CBJ committee now recommends 100% to pass, just like JCUP with unlimited retakes.
- Goal will be to deliver to the CEO before end of June so voiceover and video production can be put out for bid. Go-Live before end of TOY year requested.
- Full scripting outline completed, modules given to different committee members to write narration. Requested narration completion by 6/15, review and submission by 6/30.
- Develop program considerations for full Online CBJ course to determine if viable and how it would work. Not a replacement for traditional in person class, but an alternative.
- Develop requirements.
- How long? – Four hours maximum? How many videos? Create new vs use existing content? Will incorporate all content from the current slide deck as well as JCUP content.
- Preference is leaning towards a live “zoom” type format where the class will be online, but instructor led to answer questions or give examples.
- Develop program considerations for a new, next generation CBJ seating program.
- Dubbed “The Electronic Chip Draw”, use what we know and then full random selection for what we do not. Judges need NOT to be concerned that their scoring would influence being chosen for a contest. Could also be used to help maintain electronic Judge and volunteer signatures record.
- Very dependent upon statistical analysis being requested by the Tech Workgroup.
- Would rely heavily on KCBS Rep Committee input for usability and functionality.
- Initial functionality requirements started by the Reps on the CBJ committee, passed off to Tech committee for review before sending to the Rep committee.
- First draft of requirements from the CBJ committee has been delivered to Tech and Rep committee.
- Develop program considerations for a new KCBS CBJ Portal applet that could link cook teams with Judges that need to cook for their MCBJ requirement. Search by geographical are and automate sending emails to teams willing to host judges by area on behalf of the judge.
- Quote delivered to the CEO, this will remain on the list with low priority.
- Secondary functionality could be for Judges that are willing to cook with cook teams to provide guidance (Teams searching for judges for cooking assistance).
Any additional questions or concerns that are provide
Contest Representative Committee
Discussion of updates to Kid’s Q rules as we prepare for a proposal to the board for updates to the Kid’s Q rules.
Kansas City Barbeque Society
FOUNDATION COMMITTEE Meeting MINUTES
April 25, 2022 7:00pm CST
Nancy Goldsmith, Beth Salzl, Priscilla Smith, Charlene Ellis, Matt Greer, Jeanne Titus
- KCBS World Invitational
- Discussion of dates and location
- Planning began for Pop-up Shop and determining who will work when
- Raffles: will have 50/50 raffle again; raffle(s) for individual items will depend upon what items are donated
- Scholarships for 2022: Award decisions were presented to the BOD at the 5/10/22 meeting and were accepted. Letters have been created and were sent to KCBS office for mailing by June 2, 2022. KCBS office will work on PR releases.
Update: Press release and email blast will be going out on 6/8/22.
- Scholarships for 2023:
- Members were asked to review current application, instructions, and named scholarship criteria and be prepared to discuss the following at the June meeting
- Are any changes needed
- Consider optional question(s) to better determine named scholarship winners