Robert Stouffer - Yucaipa, CA
1. Please describe the skills you posses (which you believe are stronger than the other candidates) which would make you an asset as a board member, in dealing with the challenges facing KCBS, and give an example of how those skills would serve the KCBS Board of Directors and its membership.
I believe I have the skills to serve on the Board of Directors. To begin, I am a Certified Barbeque Judge and Certified Master Judge, also a KCBS Organizer who has participated in over 55 contests and has supported, and organized classes, charities, competitions and classroom training in the BBQ community. Additionally, my work experience with the State of California provides me with 27 years of administrative experience with organizational management and working within committees. I have been the liaison between various groups. I have served on a number of different Boards. I understand the responsibilities of a being a Board member and I have the skills to succeed. My experience and skills have proven valuable to other organizations and I believe it will prove to be beneficial to KCBS and its membership as well.
We need to work together to better serve the membership of KCBS. I have a wide understanding of both barbeque and organization. My ability to work within a wide range of personalities (KCBS Board, Organizers, Reps, Judges, and Cooks) to achieve optimal results from our initiatives. I have the insight to listen to the members and voice their concerns. I can also identify and prioritize need areas within the organization. Those needs may include Improving upon existing policy and developing innovative processes to attain a more unified membership. I have the versatility to work in whatever capacity I am asked, to identify, achieve and attain goals that best serve the organization. I hold a high commitment to KCBS to be the ears “in the field” and encourage positive interaction among all.
2. If you are a Cook, Judge, Rep or Backyard Cook, please identify the major KCBS issues concerning one of the areas in which you are involved. Describe the major issue, your strategies to correct or improve the issue, and what you see as the biggest challenge to the success of your plan.
As a Master Judge and a Certified Table Captain with over 55 plus events, Consistency in judging seems to be the major area of concern. The main focus is to provide consistency so that the CBJ and the reps are the very best they can be for every contest.
Experience and consistency with training courses, can assist in bringing CBJ’s and Rep’s up to a common set of standards throughout
all the KCBS contests.
3. Identify your major short term goal and the major long term goal, if elected to the Board of KCBS and your plan to implement change or improvement in order to carry out each of these goals.
My short term goal is to become orientated with the Board and all the procedures and policies. This will help me gain a better understanding and help me to have a hands-on, active approach. I want to become more responsive to everyone I represent, be it cooks, judges’, organizers, Judges or fellow Board members.
My long term goal is to be a good, supporting, board member who stays in tune with trends and change. To stay in tune with current practices, techniques, trends you must continually be educated. I want to be involved in all training, classes, workshops and work to be a part of this continuing education process. Knowledge is a powerful tool and we need to use it to further the success of KCBS. I often hear judges, cooks and organizers ask for certain changes but we must have information and knowledge before the change can take place.
4. If elected please explain, “your level of commitment, time and energy” for committee projects and monthly reports, board meetings and attendance, as well as representing KCBS to the public and being responsive to our members. Please understand that “whatever time is required” is not an acceptable answer. Executive Committee members typically volunteer 8-10 hours a month and Committee Chairs typically volunteer 3-5 hours a month. “No Report” often means no activity. Will you be an active board member or inactive board member?
Being retired affords me extra time to devote to KCBS and its members. I am available full time for meetings, conferences, assignments and reports. I am fully committed to KCBS and its members and will dedicate the time that is needed to be a productive Board member.
5. What new ideas would you have in regards to marketing or new ideas that would benefit membership?
I do believe that organizers should work together to obtain regional support from sponsors and create marketing strategies that promote the BBQ community and the sport rather than just one event. It will make it easier to market the event if the public understands the competition and the benefits of being part of the BBQ community. Perhaps KCBS can assist in creating marketing materials that can be used by organizers, state and local BBQ organizations. This can help freshmen organizers and organizations with limited resources with top materials that are consistent and professional. Including a KCBS membership with the competition entry fee or donating one free membership fee, that can be given away at the cooks meeting, can reinforce the importance and benefits of KCBS membership.
6. Please describe your previous participation in KCBS activities and years of experience.
I started out cooking with a good friend of mine in mid-2012 and I took my judging class in early 2013. Since then I have volunteered at CBJ classes and have judged over 55 KCBS BBQ contests and received my Master CBJ in 2016. I have been privileged to work with many organizers as a CMJ and event coordinators and teams across California, AZ & NV and Canada Over the last several years.
7. Please explain why you want to be a member of the KCBS Board of Directors.
I want to join the Board of Directors because I want to be a voice for all of those in the BBQ community-Organizers, cooks, Judges, and representative. I want to bring KCBS back to the membership. I believe I have the skills and commitment to successfully bring the memberships views to the board. I would also like to be the voice of the general membership. I want to be the board member that will represents everyone. I have many things I would like to accomplish for our membership and I believe I can help make a change.